• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light getting PS4 port, SDK possible, DLC details, standalone multi, more

Minsc

Gold Member
Now that you mentioned PhysX there's a chance the advanced PhysX effects or at least some of them will not appear in the PS4 version. Depends on how crazy they went with them (in the first game they barely existed at all).

The original Metro 2033 was one of the few games that allowed physX to be calculated on the CPU using mulitple cores (instead of just a single core), so CPU physX ended up being a very viable alternative on AMD GPUs, and I don't believe they suffered at all from it.

Kallor

Cool news. Will probably be buying this for PC next month but if it turns out good enough I will double dip for the PS4 version.

The original Metro 2033 was one of the few games that allowed physX to be calculated on the CPU using mulitple cores (instead of just a single core), so CPU physX ended up being a very viable alternative on AMD GPUs, and I don't believe they suffered at all from it.

That has probably more to do with the fact the effects were very few as I've already said (only a few particle effects).

http://physxinfo.com/news/2447/advanced-physx-in-metro-2033/

Overall physics level is looking pretty decent, but anticipated “Advanced PhysX” option may be dissapointing – it’s adds only several hardly-noticeable particle effects (we already saw numerous discussions with same idea “what is Advanced PhysX doing ? I can’t notice anything – is it working ?”).

Surprisingly, but destructible physics objects, particle effects in key scenes and even cloth banners aren’t affected by “Advanced PhysX” switch.

Mr Swine

Banned

Well I think your wrong, now correct me if I'm wrong too but I think that having Physx effects on the CPU gives the game worse slowdown down. Not only Metro but all games using Physixs

RedSwirl

Including Metro 2033 would be interesting if it ends up being a console version with graphics settings closer to the PC version.

Minsc

Gold Member
Well I think your wrong, now correct me if I'm wrong too but I think that having Physx effects on the CPU gives the game worse slowdown down. Not only Metro but all games using Physixs

Well at least with Metro 2033, you get better framerates with the physX on the CPU than GPU (unless it's a dedicated GPU for it). See here. Putting the physX on the CPU does not effect the benchmark, while putting it on the GPU does lower framerate.

The game was definitely more GPU limited than CPU though, see here vs here.

Now this will be an interesting test of what the PS4 can do vs a modern gaming PC.

All this talk of what the PS4 is and it's just a high end PC or similar, we will actually have something to compare. Also the more people who get to play MLL the better

Now this will be an interesting test of what the PS4 can do vs a modern gaming PC.

All this talk of what the PS4 is and it's just a high end PC or similar, we will actually have something to compare. Also the more people who get to play MLL the better

I don't think so...like I said Metro 2033 was badly optimized. A better test would be Watch_Dogs, BF4 etc

The best tests will be to wait and see what devs like Sony Santa Monica, Naughty Dog and Guerilla can do a few years from now.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I assume there will be a next Xbox version too, they'll just announce it after MS' event. Although Metro is out by then, so who knows.

btkadams

awesome! these games freak me out too much to play, but i'd love to watch my friend play it over the network with the ps4 game-streaming.

pvpness

The probably meant that they didn´t have money to waste.

They obviously do if they're putting it on ps4 at launch. Late port that looks worse than previously available sku usually equals low sales.

Then again, maybe it's so cheap to port to the ps4 that they'll see a return with even modest sales.

I don't think so...like I said Metro 2033 was badly optimized. A better test would be Watch_Dogs, BF4 etc

Yep those will be great too to really see differences. Not that it really matters in the long run but still fun to see :p
The best tests will be to wait and see what devs like Sony Santa Monica, Naughty Dog and Guerilla can do a few years from now.

For sure. Those guys are wizards, but I meant all the talk between PS4 being a high end PC it would be a great comparison tester seen as how advanced some stuff in Last Light is

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Still getting this for PC but this is awesome for my console only friends who can now play it on PS4.

Console Metro 2033 looked like ass compared to the PC version.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Wait so I can enable PhysX in Metro 2033 and just have it run of my i7 3770? I have an AMD 6950 2GB.

Daante

This will probably be one of the better games to test launch (I assume) ports between console and PC. Last Light looks incredibly gorgeous.

Cant believe the game hasen`t caught more attention here on GAF (if you put in the fact that GAF is a place where lots of tech and graphics talk is going on).

This will probably be one of the better games to test launch (I assume) ports between console and PC. Last Light looks incredibly gorgeous.

Indeed, it does.
iPnc8e3f98O7e.gif

i8Qm7HfSqF44v.gif

ifIL2GOYLFeVL.gif

ibw1bQejL8BXjX.gif

ibq832pywkjmKX.gif

It's interesting that a lot of people are already sold on the PS4. I'll probably end up waiting a year or two before making my next gen choice.

I'm really keen to get this game on my PC next month though!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Holy balls at those gifs. Great animation and excellent motion blur. Amazing weather effects too. I would honestly be happy with that level of visuals for the whole gen at 1080p/30. I just hope the awesome cloth simulation from the car gif makes it in.

I'm also a sucker for reload animations so this game has won me over.

Holy balls at those gifs. Great animation and excellent motion blur. Amazing weather effects too. I would honestly be happy with that level of visuals for the whole gen at 1080p/30. I just hope the awesome cloth simulation from the car gif makes it in.

I'm also a sucker for reload animations so this game has won me over.

This is still the best Last Light gif there is
metrolastlightphysx_by_teddyterror-d5z1byf.gif

I didn't like the first Metro that much but those gifs look insane and I'm glad PS4 is getting so much support. Will keep my eyes on this.

The_Monk

Metro 2033 was great but I do not see myself replaying it anytime soon.

Last Light on the PS4 will be amazing too and I'm curious to check it out but there are other titles who may have some priority. Is any fellow GAFfer considering getting all those cross-platforms (PS360) titles on the PS4 only as soon it releases?

Top Bottom