• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 2 Remake and Fire Emblem 4 Remake to be announced o nthe next Nintendo Direct

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Or....maybe.....make new games?......
This anti-remake sentiment is kind of bullshit. I echoed it in the past because I tend to only want new experiences, but 2 things changed my mind. The first is I have kids and want them to play the old classic games. Emulation is a pain for them. Rereleased as emulated games is OK, but that is not always the best path. The second, is that I have played some of these remakes and they are a better version of the older games and they will be perfectly playable and good decades later. So why not do a good job at modernizing these great old games and make them easily accessible going forward?

cireza

Oh cool, I’ll probably grab it just to try out

Enjoyed MP1 and 3

What makes MP2 the best?
As far as I am concerned, I love Fusion and Prime 2 mainly because they were pushing the series forward and introducing new features.

Nintendo surely love their remakes. In a sense Super Metroid built strongly on the very first game and you could even revisit some parts of it. Zero Mission is a remake of the first Metroid. And Prime was also pretty close to the roots of Super Metroid. All these games share strong resemblances in many aspects. And then you get Fusion and Prime 2, which really went in different directions and added a lot to the universe. Prime 2 has a great settings, great ideas, unusual weapons and suits etc...

I would also really enjoy to replay Prime 3 at some point, this is the one I know the least. Only played it once. Still remember it has the best implementation of the Wiimote period.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Most of these seem pretty plausible, even if slightly optimistic.

Nintendo kept releasing quite a few games on 3DS during 2017 and 2018 even though the Switch was already out. Most of those games were A-tier budget titles and remakes like Fire Emblem, Mario & Luigi, Metroid and Ever Oasis. I can see a similar approach happening here. No reason to ditch a 120 million+ installed base immediatly.

This is awesome if true.
Any FIRE EMBLEM is good Fire Emblem!!! Day 1 of course.

Although, I wish they would remake the Path of Radiance and Radiant dawn games that game cube and wii game are super expensive. (look it up , over $200 used for complete in box game for the GC one).

Metroid prime 2, wish they would of done a trilogy remaster, but I will take this. The remake from last year of prime 1 was my first prime game and the quality of it was off the charts. Amazing. Will buy day 1.
New DK Country game is a buy from me, although not day 1.

Don't know much about the zelda games. I probably have them in my 3ds 256gb sd card. (should get a spare 3ds, my fire emblem 3ds xl is going for $500 now, wth).

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
This anti-remake sentiment is kind of bullshit. I echoed it in the past because I tend to only want new experiences, but 2 things changed my mind. The first is I have kids and want them to play the old classic games. Emulation is a pain for them. Rereleased as emulated games is OK, but that is not always the best path. The second, is that I have played some of these remakes and they are a better version of the older games and they will be perfectly playable and good decades later. So why not do a good job at modernizing these great old games and make them easily accessible going forward?
Sure. I get that. and I embrace a few (and want others......looking at you Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain)....but many are not needed (Last of Us Pt 1 and Pt2) and it seems that developer effort is often put on these remakes, remaster rather than new IP's. If there was a good balance from the AAA studios then I would be ok. But looking at the past few years and the upcoming year, pretty much 80% of all AAA games fall into a remake, remaster OR a sequel.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I read Prime 4 remake.

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

Podge

Neo Member
So I remember hearing a rumor from somewhere else that the next Nintendo Direct was going to be April 18th and have Fire emblem 4 Remake announced. We've seen the Korean ratings board leak some other hyped titles (Silksong) recently. Think we'll see a Direct soon?
Bro….don’t get my hopes up like that. 😭

So I remember hearing a rumor from somewhere else that the next Nintendo Direct was going to be April 18th and have Fire emblem 4 Remake announced. We've seen the Korean ratings board leak some other hyped titles (Silksong) recently. Think we'll see a Direct soon?
It's been 8 months since the last first-party Direct, which in Direct terms is a very long gap. But since we are in a console transition phase, their schedule is a bit quiet and there's not a need for a Direct every 4-6 months, which is fair. But we are certainly due for one very, very soon. But the thing is, if we get one before June, we probably won't get another until September, which means no June Direct.

In January at the time of those rumors, Nintendo hadn't yet internally delayed Switch 2 to 2025 yet, so right now they are probably still working on spacing the release calendar out, and fitting in which games are releasing this year for Switch, and which ones are being held for the launch window of the new console. MP2 Remake, if real, is certainly prime for Switch 1, since MP4 would make the perfect cross-gen/ launch title for Switch 2.

A new DK seems like a flagship title for a new console, though. Assuming it's 3D and not 2D.

kiphalfton

Remakes wouldn't be such an issue if Sony/Microsoft/Xbox actually released a good number of new games. But that isn't the case. These past couple gens have relied way too heavily on remakes/remasters, to pad out their library.

nial

Gold Member
Wasn't this confirmed to be fake? Either way, MP2 Remastered should happen rather soon, surprised it still took them so long. What is Nintendo's holiday game this year since Pokémon Co is not releasing anything in the fall?

Draugoth

Gold Member
Wasn't this confirmed to be fake? Either way, MP2 Remastered should happen rather soon, surprised it still took them so long. What is Nintendo's holiday game this year since Pokémon Co is not releasing anything in the fall?

At this point yes

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I prefer new games and not remakes/remasters. Can't say I care when another digital showcase rears it's ugly head and has a whole lotta nada. And if anything interesting does pop up it won't release anywhere between 6 months to 2 years. Not particularly exciting.

I'd be all over Metroid Prime 2 Remastered, Metroid Prime Remastered is a terrific effort and the definitive version of that game due to finally having good controls.

Quasicat

I wasn’t at all excited about Metroid Prime 4 until I played Prime Remastered. I loved the original, played Multiplayer on 2 (never single player) with my brother, and maybe the first 10 minutes of 3. I’m so excited to be able to try 2 and 3 again before 4 comes out.

I hope they'll eventually do a 'Metroid Other M' remaster. It's one of the best Metroid games in my opinion.

I never even played it cause I was pretty down on Nintendo / Wii when it released and the negative reviews and reception certainly didn't do much to motivate me. I don't even have a Wii anymore and not about to track one down, lol. I'd be down to give it a shot if they re-released it in some form to make my own opinion.

bumpkin

61HwKnlkItL.jpg

4chan user who correctly leaked the cowgirl and ninja segments in Princess Peach: Showtime has other leaks for the upcoming february Nintendo Direct​

Source:

The supposed new games are:

• Fire Emblem 4 remake releasing in May
  • Donkey Kong Country is getting a new game for its 30th anniversary
  • Metroid Prime 2 Remastered
  • Grezzo Remake of the Zelda Oracle Games
  • That Good Feel game is getting localized
  • Famicom Detective Club returns as Nintendo Detective Club. Five high school girls must solve vicious crimes that they are personally involved with.
Wasn’t there talk by some leaker that Prime 2 and 3 were just going to be lazy up-rez jobs?

Hohenheim

I kinda feel like i'm playing a Metroid Prime 2 remaster on the Steam Deck. That Prime Hack version has the same controls as Prime 1 remaster, and the visuals is cleaned up nicely. It even had the right buttons on screen! Playing it docked on the 65" feels just like the experience of the remaster from last year. Very cool!

I never even played it cause I was pretty down on Nintendo / Wii when it released and the negative reviews and reception certainly didn't do much to motivate me. I don't even have a Wii anymore and not about to track one down, lol. I'd be down to give it a shot if they re-released it in some form to make my own opinion.
It's great. The main issue with it is the emo Samus and some of the voice acting. If you can get past that the actual game is really good.

Chiggs

This makes the most sense, practically speaking and according to the rumors. But it was years ago now so who knows what Nintendo is planning at this point.

Right...and with the Switch 2 delay, they need something for the holiday season.

Last edited:

bumpkin

This makes the most sense, practically speaking and according to the rumors. But it was years ago now so who knows what Nintendo is planning at this point.
I would love the rumor to be wrong and have both be high quality remasters like Prime 1 was. Shit, I’d be okay with Prime 4 looking like Prime 1 Remastered. The game is gorgeous.

bender

What time is it?
Considering all the rumors around the Metroid Prime games, MP2 seems like a lock, especially if we aren't expecting the Switch successor until 2025. Seems like easy filler that will appease the fans.

I think it sets kind of a poor precedent to be like “ah yeah, these ones weren’t quite worth the almost remake treatment, so here’s some ports!” — particularly when you have a sequel in the pipeline

I think it sets kind of a poor precedent to be like “ah yeah, these ones weren’t quite worth the almost remake treatment, so here’s some ports!” — particularly when you have a sequel in the pipeline
I don’t think precedent factors into it, much to be honest. I think it’s all about what are the resources currently available that we could devote to “_______ project”, and what can we put out to tide people over vs waiting years for a full remaster.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm upset they nerfed some bosses in the wii trilogy.
I played it on the Gamecube and I am proud to say I killed those bosses.. they were tough. Especially the semi last one, I think it was called the Emperor Ing, or something like that. I must have died a hundred times before beating it. But I did it.

Last edited:

Phase

They can keep making these and I'll keep not buying them. I've decided to never support remakes or remasters anymore. So tired of them.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Dang that’s a pretty bangin’ list if it’s true. I wonder if Prime 2 is actually getting a proper remaster. I don’t have a ton of insider info anymore, but the last I heard a couple years ago it was either going to be a just an HD port and not get the full remaster treatment. It’d be cool if it got the full glow up, though.

Top Bottom