• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 (Working Title) - Fact Sheet (E3 2017 Press Kit)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Tanabe still heading it should mean its in pretty solid hands.

He produced literally every prime game....co producing the first.

So I think this should ease my worries a bit.

He was the hands on producer though back then. Miyamoto and Miki were figurehead producers. Tanabe was the full time guy.

Why are people assuming NLG? "A talented new development team" doesn't sound like, well an old development team. The context of the sentence leans heavily to an actual "new" development studio.

NLG huh?

Let see what they got.

I Loved Strikers
and I heard good things about Luigi Mansion and Punch Out!

But this is a completely different project genre wise

Tanabe being involved is what gives me hope of this game being as good as the old games, even if he did make some odd choices for Prime 3. If anyone is going to be aware of what the fans are looking for from Metroid, it's probably him.

Nerrel

Tanabe being involved is what gives me hope of this game being as good as the old games, even if he did make some odd choices for Prime 3. If anyone is going to be aware of what the fans are looking for from Metroid, it's probably him.

There's no better example of "less aware of the fans are looking for" than
450x300.jpg

Prime 3 was great. Not perfect, but it was the best of the 3 in at least a few specific ways. I don't think anyone is really that worried by that game. It's chibi team soccer that's causing me concern over whether he really understands what is and isn't Metroid.

Retro really worked hard to understand Metroid before working on Prime 1, apparently spending entire days in conference calls with Nintendo just discussing the series until they knew it inside and out, and I think they and Tanabe worked really well together. But when working with new developers with no direct Metroid experience and no deep base of knowledge like that is a different situation. They really depend on Tanabe to guide them, and FF makes me question his way of thinking about the series, even if it is a spinoff. Hoping with all my might that I get proven wrong.

There's no better example of "less aware of the fans are looking for" than
450x300.jpg

Prime 3 was great. Not perfect, but it was the best of the 3 in at least a few specific ways. I don't think anyone is really that worried by that game. It's chibi team soccer that's causing me concern over whether he really understands what is and isn't Metroid.

Retro really worked hard to understand Metroid before working on Prime 1, apparently spending entire days in conference calls with Nintendo just discussing the series until they knew it inside and out, and I think they and Tanabe worked really well together. But when working with new developers with no direct Metroid experience and no deep base of knowledge like that is a different situation. They really depend on Tanabe to guide them, and FF makes me question his way of thinking about the series, even if it is a spinoff. Hoping with all my might that I get proven wrong.
Eh, Federation Force had the misfortune of bad timing. Tanabe and the developers don't really deserve to have a spin-off define the where they will take Prime 4. Tanabe has gone on-record regarding the direction he'd like Prime 4 to go, and everything sounds solid. The brief summary from the press kit mentions original Prime as the model for how they want to approach this new game. A spin-off that might have been better received had Metroid: Samus Returns come first doesn't really impact my view of Tanabe's competence to ensure a solid entry in the Prime franchise.

MoonFrog

Hunters, FF and Prime 3 are like the holy trinity of where I want metroid to stay far away from. Well, hope the 2 remake is good.

Other M is worse than all those but not related

On a tonal, story, and NPC line, I agree.

But...Prime 3 is at least as true of a Metroid as Fusion was (on a gameplay, game-flow level), which perhaps isn't true enough for some (and I'd rather it were truer, personally), but I think it would be fine for most fans.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
They didn't help with Kart 8 at all lol
You're thinking of MK7, which was way before Tropical Freeze

Oops lol you're right.

jnWake

Eh, Federation Force had the misfortune of bad timing. Tanabe and the developers don't really deserve to have a spin-off define the where they will take Prime 4. Tanabe has gone on-record regarding the direction he'd like Prime 4 to go, and everything sounds solid. The brief summary from the press kit mentions original Prime as the model for how they want to approach this new game. A spin-off that might have been better received had Metroid: Samus Returns come first doesn't really impact my view of Tanabe's competence to ensure a solid entry in the Prime franchise.

People love to ignore all the successes of a developer and highlight the failures just to complain.

If Next Level is doing this it'll be interesting since it'd be their first HD project and, by far, their largest scope one.

[Tanabe] was the hands on producer though back then. Miyamoto and Miki were figurehead producers. Tanabe was the full time guy.
Miyamoto was pretty hands-on with Prime 1. He was the one that insisted it be first-person.

Yeah, in 2007 Mark Pacini described some of the interactions with Miyamoto (including Miyamoto's ultimatum about the Morph Ball), but in a 2016 interview with Ben Hanson of Game Informer, Pacini gave credit to Tanabe for shaping the implementation of the Scan Visor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbmxfTZvVCs&t=30m03s
[25:30] ...We had all the best people from all the [other] teams [at Retro that were dissolved and then partly re-integrated into the Metroid Prime team]... all these incredibly senior people... [26:12] And then Nintendo would always come in with these really cool ideas... [30:03] Nintendo's thing [was] 'This is going to be about the Scan Visor, this game is about scanning the environment'... and it was Tanabe-san that basically [said]... he had an [idea], 'what if we did this'... you get information... this how you do the tutorials... and this is how you give the player instruction... and we could do all these things with the Scan Visor...

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I feel like there are some people are forcing themselves to be hype about the game after watching some reaction vids. It's definitely pompous of me to say this, but I feel like a Metroid Prime fan would have instantly recognized what it was on the first note of the bgm. I'm not one to think that reaction vids are fake (cept Etika) since who am I to know how you are feeling/express yourself, but it's pretty jarring to be so hyped when you seem so removed. I expressed this elsewhere, but my thinking above leads me into thinking that Prime 4 will sell really well and Prime 5 and 6 will chop off Metroid's legs again like 3.

Guevara

I know I'm crazy, but I also think this recently released Metroid shirt from the Nintendo Uniqlo collection spells something out:

uniqlo-nintendo-t-shirt-for-men-metroid_av9n.640.jpg

I definitely see a T right at the top, R O, a P, an S, possibly an M in the visor

Probably METROID PRIME something.

TheMoon

I know I'm crazy, but I also think this recently released Metroid shirt from the Nintendo Uniqlo collection spells something out:

uniqlo-nintendo-t-shirt-for-men-metroid_av9n.640.jpg

I definitely see a T right at the top, R O, a P, an S, possibly an M in the visor

Probably METROID PRIME something.

Stahp.

No.

It's a t-shirt design.

Top Bottom