• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mexico's new President plans to create new border police force to stop illegals, drugs, etc

dolabla

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...paign=socialflow-organic&utm_content=politics

After months of Donald Trump’s controversial clampdown on immigration, Mexico’s President-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador is planning his own border police force to stop undocumented immigrants, drugs and guns from crossing into the country from Central America, his future chief of public security said.

Picked by Lopez Obrador, Alfonso Durazo stressed that the new force would be part of a larger regional development effort to ease the poverty and violence that lead so many Central Americans to cross into Mexico. The police corps will be sizable, he said, and will be deployed to Mexico’s northern border as well. He declined to offer more specifics as the details are still being decided.

"We’re going to create a border police force that will be highly specialized," Durazo said in an interview. "They need to apply the law," including stopping undocumented migrants and human traffickers from crossing into Mexico, which Durazo says often takes place with the help of corrupt officials.

:unsure:

dolabla

It's funny cause both our northern and southern neighbors have left'ish presidents and neither one want anything to do with illegal immigration penetrating their borders :D

It's funny cause both our northern and southern neighbors have left'ish presidents and neither one want anything to do with illegal immigration penetrating their borders :D

It's almost like sovereignty is important for a nations security. :unsure:

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
It is the way the world is operating and will continue to operate, henceforth, the pendulum starts to swing the opposite direction.

Well, better late than too late, says I.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The most corrupt politician in Mexico becoming president just goes to show fucked it is politically.

DESTROYA

I hope there serious about this, it would help everyone to prevent illegal immagration and drugs flowing into more countries.

I wonder if this is an appeal to the US to allow more Mexican illegal immigrants in by reducing flow from CA?

"We're keeping out 10,000 of them, so will you let an extra 4,000 of us in?"

Seems odd considering this guy encouraging Mexicans to leave their country.

Mexico has a serious cartel/corruption problem. Why that is rarely brought up in discussions about Mexico-to-USA immigration is so egregious that I can only assume it is done intentionally and for political reasons. I've been to Mexico and have seen genuine poverty, the sort that makes you cry. Their country is beautiful and rich in resources and their people are very welcoming to visitors.

Bigger issues remain: the human trafficking and drug pipeline from South America up through Mexico and into the USA is very real. Open border policy leaves those wounds wide open with no hope of healing.

I'd love to have more open borders similar to USA-to-Canada between our countries, but that can only be accomplished by building up Mexico. I'm hopeful that strong Mexican leadership can begin to undo decades of awful corruption and abuse.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
this special border force will be there to enforce cartel fees for drug, gun and human trafficking.

no more hop-alongs.

Last edited:

A.Romero

The most corrupt politician in Mexico becoming president just goes to show fucked it is politically.

I don't want to derail the topic but care to share more info about how Lopez Obrador is the most corrupt politician in Mexico?

On topic: This news really surprises me. There has always been border patrol in the south borders. Maybe Mexicans living in the southern states feel different but I don't think most Mexicans are concerned about illegal immigration to Mexico. It is true that corrupt officers mistreat illegal immigrants in the South though which is a shame and totally hypocritical when asking the US to treat illegal Mexicans better.

The only angle I can work out for this is that they want to put a dent in drugs coming up from the South (mostly coke) which ends up in the US...

Texas Pride

Banned
I'll believe Mexico is serious about this issue as soon as they get serious about the drug problem they have. Until then nothing is going to change.

You were doing so well.

I’m not different from an old Democrat in my foreign policy though.

Like Obama said,”Real reform means strong border security, and we can build on the progress my administration has already made -- putting more boots on the Southern border than at any time in our history and reducing illegal crossings to their lowest levels in 40 years.
Real reform means establishing a responsible pathway to earned citizenship -- a path that includes passing a background check, paying taxes and a meaningful penalty, learning English, and going to the back of the line behind the folks trying to come here legally.
And real reform means fixing the legal immigration system to cut waiting periods and attract the highly-skilled entrepreneurs and engineers that will help create jobs and grow our economy.”

That’s where I’m at.

Come on. =(

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want to derail the topic but care to share more info about how Lopez Obrador is the most corrupt politician in Mexico?

On topic: This news really surprises me. There has always been border patrol in the south borders. Maybe Mexicans living in the southern states feel different but I don't think most Mexicans are concerned about illegal immigration to Mexico. It is true that corrupt officers mistreat illegal immigrants in the South though which is a shame and totally hypocritical when asking the US to treat illegal Mexicans better.

The only angle I can work out for this is that they want to put a dent in drugs coming up from the South (mostly coke) which ends up in the US...
http://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/part...eron-quedar-mal-a-andres-manuel-lopez-obrador

I have always wondered, how powerful are the cartels really? Can a president of Mexico actually be corruption free or its on spectrum of not corrupt to owned by the cartel.

Illegals from what side? But generally drug dillers probably move to USA from Mexica and from Mexica to USA. So probably he meant them? :unsure:

I have always wondered, how powerful are the cartels really? Can a president of Mexico actually be corruption free or its on spectrum of not corrupt to owned by the cartel.
From my understanding Cartels are something like..private military organizations that are self sufficient.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
An empty gesture that came way too late.
If Mexico wants to be seen as the good guys, they can start by piling up a ton of bricks and asking each citizen to get a headstart on building the wall.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Powerful enough the US government can't stop them from continuing selling drugs, trafficing people or murdering anybody even when they are right next to us. Look at Trump for example, his idea to stop these people is a wall. A massive waste of resources that would mildy inconvenience a coyote/cartel member.

Cato

Banned

It is probably a matter of mutual acceptance and respect.
Mexico can not kill the cartels, but on the other hand , the cartels can not survive if mexican society is destroyed.

Just like the cold war but on a much smaller scale. West could not destroy CCCP without the retaliation destroying the west.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It is probably a matter of mutual acceptance and respect.
Mexico can not kill the cartels, but on the other hand , the cartels can not survive if mexican society is destroyed.

Just like the cold war but on a much smaller scale. West could not destroy CCCP without the retaliation destroying the west.
Yes they can. They live off selling shit to Americans.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Dunno I'll have to ask my cousins from Mexico. /s But really what mexican politician isn't crooked?

A.Romero

Dunno I'll have to ask my cousins from Mexico. /s But really what mexican politician isn't crooked?

Probably none, that's why the distinction of the most crooked one caught my attention. Specially considering that everyone and their mothers were coming after him and no one could build a case.

The guys I mentioned are either caught or on the run.

Top Bottom