• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel : working on both Wild and Beyond Good & Evil 2 is "unreasonable"

itshutton

BG&E2 is going to dive
when it lands in 2020
. It's one of these titles that a few vocal fans shout loudly about.

Wild on the other hand will be a fresh title, that will also probably flop, but I am greatly looking forward to.

Tratorn

There is no way that a huge 3rd party like Ubisoft makes a game to be full exclusive. Timed exclusive is what all of them do, and this is since forever.

So Rabbids/Mario RPG confirmed for PS4 and XB1? :p
Wii and esspecially DS/3DS got exclusive Ubisoft games as well.

BGE is one of the few west 3rd party IPs that could sell on a Nintendo platform, so I wouldn't bet on it to get multiplatform if Nintendo thought the same and funded the game.

jayu26

I prefer new IPs over sequel even long awaited sequel
How about long awaited new IPs? It has been three years since Wild was announced, and because we haven't had a European Sony conference this year, we have also missed out on annual Wild update trailer. We might have our new TLG folks.

Shiggy

So we are believing rumors to criticize the wiiu ports But not about a third party exclusive?
Sources are the very same

I did not question those rumors. Your point just doesn't make any sense. How could the difficulties in Ancel's time management be solved by Nintendo? He's the only one who can find a solution for that.

Would it not make more sense to get Wild out of the door first? It would benefit both games if they had proper attention given to them.

Chev

Wild is that game where you ride a bear, isnt it?
Too bad, looked interesting.
Welcome to the ever-growing parade of fools who didn't read OP. He's working on both.
Would it not make more sense to get Wild out of the door first? It would benefit both games if they had proper attention given to them.
I dare say getting BG&E2 underway is a necessary, crucial even, part of Ubi's current campaign to paint themselves as nice creative devs cruelly targeted by the boundless hunger of Vivendi.

Ganondolf

I believe it will be a switch exclusive in the same way zombi u was. It will eventually come to the other systems but will have at least a year only on switch

Edit: I'm talking about BG&E2.

So we are believing rumors to criticize the wiiu ports But not about a third party exclusive?
Sources are the very same

I didn't even know what you're talking about at first, since I do not care for any Nintendo rumour just because some of these obviously broken clocks have been right twice a day.
What I believe is Ancel who said back in the day and now reiterated that a new BG&E will not be possible on hardware that's still behind PS4.

It is a bit worrying that we haven't seen neither hide nor hair of WiLD in over a year now. That game looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Alx

Welcome to the ever-growing parade of fools who didn't read OP. He's working on both.

To be fair I didn't realize how deceptive the title was when I wrote the OP. I thought the unusual situation of working on two large-scale projects could be the main topic of discussion, but I didn't realize it sounded like "he's going to drop one of them".
By the way there are many other things discussed in the article, about narration, rhythm etc, I didn't want to quote it all. It's not all about handling two projects at a time, even if it's in the intro and conclusion.

I wonder if you can become a bed bug ... I want to leech some poor sucker's blood, and ruin their rudimentary furniture.

Mister_Mosquito_Coverart.png

Charamiwa

Banned
Working for two titles at the same time isn't that crazy. Well I'm sure it's crazy for him professionally, but there are still two different teams, each working full time on their respective title. I doubt Ancel would do much of the code himself, especially if BGE2 is indeed a massive project.

For the people that say rip WiLD, do you think Wild Sheep Studio would stop working just like that? I doubt anything is changing for them.

I am stuck in a conundrum where I am extremely excited for BG&E but have sworn off of Ubisoft entriely and stuck with it for the better part of four years now.

LordKano

The article is really long so I couldn't translate everything, but here are the bullet points :

- It's Yves Guillemot who called Michel Ancel to make Beyond Good & Evil 2. He was going to leave after Rayman Legends (the article says Origins but it's probably a mistake) in 2013, since he just co-founded his new studio Wildsheep, but he just couldn't say anything else than "yes" to the Yves Guillemot's proposal.

- The original project started in 2007, and was abandoned in 2009, at Michel Anciel's will. They started to work on it again in 2012-2013, and he feels like he still needs three to four years to finish it, but even then he's not sure.

- He call it a "fabulous project". It's really ambitious, but possible with the actual consoles.

- He still works on Wild during the afternoon of everyday, and the morning he works on Beyond Good & Evil 2. Both games are open-world.

- In Wild, the nature is the center of the experience. He talks about how Rockstar perfectly understood it in GTA, with the landscapes, the colors, the rain. He promises an "essential" experience, partly because his studio, Wildsheep, has a limited budget for the game.

- In BGE2, the heart of the game is the "civilisation". BGE1 talked about mass manipulation and the medias, but this one will be completely different. It will talk about conspiracy and the human aspect. There will be a lot of surprising characters.
Translater's note : If some FrenchGAFers are here, how do you translate "côté grouillant" and "profusion" ? I can't really find the good words here.

- He talks about No Man's Sky, about how they did all they could to hide the models, but people saw them nonethless.

- Something extremely important for him is the pace. If we're moving fast, but the background is large and well-paced, with discovery to make, then we won't get bored.

- Right now, they are creating the world of the game. It's really its heart. Then, they'll start to work on the narrative side.

- There's no release date, both projects are "crazy", they've made significant progression but they still cannot start the communication about them. These are unreasonable projects.

- He's a bit scared that if Vivendi buy Ubisoft, they couldn't finish the game.

How about long awaited new IPs? It has been three years since Wild was announced, and because we haven't had a European Sony conference this year, we have also missed out on annual Wild update trailer. We might have our new TLG folks.

2 years (gamescom 2014) to be more precise :p

I am stuck in a conundrum where I am extremely excited for BG&E but have sworn off of Ubisoft entriely and stuck with it for the better part of four years now.

See, this is a problem. Show them that their riskier, better projects will pay off by buying them. If you say no to them all together, they'll just keep shoveling out yearly Far Cry and Assassin's Creed games and not take any risks at all

LordKano

I may just add that there's nothing in this article that imply or even hint at which console(s) will get BGE2. Nothing about PS4, Xbox One, or Switch.

Alx

I may just add that there's nothing in this article that imply or even hint at which console(s) will get BGE2. Nothing about PS4, Xbox One, or Switch.

Not explicitly, but he does say that the project started again in 2012-2013 because PS4 and Xbox One made it possible again. So at one point at least the game was targeted for these platforms.

I also found interesting the part about narration. After the recent comments from Ubi Soft about their new take on narration in games, he does confirm that there will be some storytelling, but it will be more "attached" to the player actions. He gives the example of GTAV, where the devs put a social message in an event where you can watch Mexican workers picking tomatoes, and a plane drops pesticide on them.

LordKano

Not explicitly, but he does say that the project started again in 2012-2013 because PS4 and Xbox One made it possible again. So at one point at least the game was targeted for these platforms.

I also found interesting the part about narration. After the recent comments from Ubi Soft about their new take on narration in games, he does confirm that there will be some storytelling, but it will be more "attached" to the player actions. He gives the example of GTAV, where the devs put a social message in an event where you can watch Mexican workers picking tomatoes, and a plane drops pesticide on them.

Yeah I liked that part. Being able to tell a story without any text or voice, that's an interesting idea. I would find it really cool if he managed to put that during the whole game but that might be a bit too difficult lol.

DMiz

Wasn't Wild announced in 2014? Kind of disappointing that it isn't close to being finished still

To be fair, it looks like a really wild game (pun intended), and if the Snake Lady preview meant anything at all, it seems like they're going out of their way to really build in some exciting encounters to make the experience as fresh as it can be.

I'm looking forward to both titles, and anybody willing to keep Ancel around - who has stayed relevant and continues to surprise - I'm game.

Top Bottom