• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft aims for 40% market share in Germany

CTLance

I don't think they stand a chance, even with Nintendo stumbling around like a drunk in the dark. They're welcome to try, of course.

EGM1966

40% seems unrealistic at their price point vs PS4 - but on the other hand they're right a lot is likely to come down to how the current Wii market-share divides over the Wii U, PS4 and XB1 and on the evidence Sony and MS look like to gain some share from Nintendo at this point in time.

I think the price point of PS4 and the remaining negative cloud around XB1 is going to see Sony gain back from marketshare from Nintendo than MS though.

Still, you never know until it happens.

Ulumsk

Unless the Wii U stops shipping to Germany today and the PS4 implodes after 30 days of use I don't see this happening.

tobibreit

Neo Member
Can the Germans in here explain a bit more how the reaction to the Xbone has changed since it's announce? I heard it got a lot of bad press over the Kinect stuff. Has that waned now or people still dismissive despite the changes?

Hasn't changed a lot i think. I even think many people don't know they changed their policies (xbox180). People in Germany are extremely cautious when it comes to their privacy which might be for historic reasons (Gestapo, Stasi). When Google street view started here there was a public outcry against it and thousands of houses have been censored. A camera in the living is a no go for many.

KHlover

Banned
Can the Germans in here explain a bit more how the reaction to the Xbone has changed since it's announce? I heard it got a lot of bad press over the Kinect stuff. Has that waned now or people still dismissive despite the changes?
From my experience public perception didn't change since major news circles only reported the negative stuff (Easy news with the parallel NSA stuff). Among gamers Playstation only gained popularity, a lot of them are annoyed they have to pay for Kinect. The fact that PS4 orders can't be fullfilled until January while XB1 will be delivered at release even if you order just now is worrying.

MS dun goofed.

Haunted

Hasn't changed at all, people are very wary of Microsoft and their plans.

No one I know believes the 180 in policy is indicative of a true reform, most see it as lip service. Appeasement to make sure people buy in, then they flip the switch.

I don't say this lightly, but I think MS' reputation in Germany is at an all-time low.

avaya

For this to happen Sony would have to do worse than it did with PS3. Think about that.

Can someone explain to me just HOW was Sony able to keep Europe on lockdown despite the plethora of problems with the PS3 early on?

Did Europe just not like the 360?

The PAL market was created by Sony.

synce

You know Sony royally screwed up with the PS3 and they still won everywhere except US/UK, this gen I don't think MS will win any market without a miracle.

danwarb

For this to happen Sony would have to do worse than it did with PS3. Think about that.

The PAL market was created by Sony.

Or for Nintendo to do worse. Nintendo was king of Germany.

Surprisingly, the 360 was #1 in the UK in the end, overtaking the Wii.

The whole of Europe will be a struggle for Microsoft.
Even with Nintendo not doing great with the WiiU I cant see the xbox one improving on the market share they already have.

I think it's a bit of a mixed bag. "Public" perception was very negative considering the first "always conntected to kinect" news. That changed but not everyone knows about it outside of the tech realm. But: Kinect, motion controls and that Skype as demostrated by Mehdi and Whitten can always be a game changer for the more "casual" audience, if only they knew about it.

With the "core" audience I see on messageboards most (who aren't PC only and blaming consoles for slowing PC progress down) are weighing in on the Sony sides, just because of the superior tech in combination with a lower price tag, especially since Kinect causing the additional 100euros isn't seen as an added value for games.
The stellar first party line-up of Sony and MS lacking in that regard is also on a lot of peoples mind.

media.media.3a621548rkun5.jpeg

Good luck with that.

Cosmozone

There was a very critical article in one of the major newspapers (SZ) regarding Xbone and privacy issues just recently. Won't happen (fortunately).

KDR_11k

No. The 360 launched 15 months earlier, 200€ cheaper and still got trashed by the PS3 in the end. I probably don´t need to say what that means for the Xbox One.

Condemned, Dead Rising, Gears of War before 3 and Crackdown were indexed (practically banned). That REALLY hurt the 360's game lineup in the early days.

Bundy

Banned
Microsoft aims for 40% market share in Germany
Ahahahaha!
No chance in hell is this possible. I currently live in germany. Will stay here for another year. This is PlayStation country. They're all hyped here for the PS4.

sublimit

Banned
Things like that don't happen overnight,they need a lot more time to make a solid foot in mainland Europe and unfortunately for them i think now they are at an even worse position than they were with the 360.

RedSwirl

Can someone explain to me just HOW was Sony able to keep Europe on lockdown despite the plethora of problems with the PS3 early on?

Microsoft just didn't really try in continental Europe. That's MS's problem. They don't really try too hard anywhere outside the US and UK.

sublimit

Banned
Microsoft just didn't really try in continental Europe. That's MS's problem. They don't really try too hard anywhere outside the US and UK.

Their image is not too hot either.It's not as bad as it is in Japan but it's not anywhere near Sony/Nintendo levels of acceptance either.Them not trying enough makes things even worse though.

Zukuu

Banned

Yeah. It's pathetic that we have to pay more for XBL yet get like 10% of its features. XBONE won't change that. All those fancy stuff you can do with your XBONE in the US? Not available here.

KDR_11k

Was God of War III/Ascension banned in Germany? Seems like they would have been due to their gruesome nature.

Nope, I'm not sure what Sony did but after being refused a rating for GoW1 they changed something and ultimately released the game after much delay, the sequels appeared on time. Indexing has gotten far less strict over time, C&C Generals was censored back in the day (replaced humans with robots) but the later THQ games (especially Space Marine) were 100% uncut as stickers on the box reminded us. Saints row 2 was censored, SR3 and 4 weren't. As long as you don't include swastikas (if you're wondering why modern WW2 games only use the iron cross, it's the ease of localization) you're mostly fine these days. Where it's not fine it's usually some inconsequential stuff that's not hard to censor (e.g. in No Russian you get an instant game over if you shoot a civilian in the German version).

Also you just reminded me that I still have that wrapped copy of Ascension that came with my PS3 in my closet. I should have traded that in much earlier. Played GoW1 back in the day and didn't enjoy it at all so I have no plan to play Ascension.

Wiktor

Um... with Windows?

I still have this glorious interview bookmarked.
Peter Zetterberg: On a global scale the Windows Vista business is as important as our Xbox 360 business. But in Germany for example, we want more gamers to buy our Xbox 360. If we launch a game that is on 360 and PC simultaneously, we basically shoot ourselves in the foot by allowing the German market to choose to play the PC version – because they are more likely to buy that than spend their money on the Xbox 360.

Into

The most talked about change this generation was how Xbox 360 was able to steal so many consumers in NA in relation to Sony.

But almost equally as important is how MS absolutely failed to do the same in Europe, despite the enormous advantages they had.

There are several factors:
1. Live is a poor investment here, it fucking sucks. Straight up. There is nothing worthwhile here on Live that you cannot get on the free PSN.
2. FPS and TPS arent as big here as they are in the States. If you look at sales of shooters, you will find out they do a big chunk of their sales in America. This means Halo and Gears have less of a impact here and sales prove that.
3. PlayStation brand in general is strong and has always been. Nintendo only managed to really do well here with the Wii, which was a anamoly. Before PlayStation it was Sega and Amiga.

The Xbox is a very Americanized product, in how its presented, marketed and its entire appeal is perfectly catered to that audience. Its not like Europeans hate American companies, on the contrary Apple is doing great here as are a million other companies. But that is because they do not come out with the "American" vibe, burgers, eagles and F16s flying everywhere while some NFL player does a touchdown. Apple caters their product to a specific region, you dont feel like someone is waving the American flag in your face.

PlayStation the brand, has never felt Japanese or European or American or anything for that matter, its catered to each region and country specifically.

disap.ed

If anything Sony's market share will increase.
I really don't see it selling here, maybe the initial shipment will be sold but afterwards it will dry out IMO (pretty much like the WiiU)

keuja

The “dudebros” and casuals of Europe don’t play CoD with their friends, they play FIFA.
Long before that, they played PES. On Playstation 1 then 2.
The other played Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Soul Edge and Final fantasy.
Since then, they stick to Playstation because for them, since their youth: Gaming = Playstation. (similar to how most of the CoD X360 generation in the US will stick with MS).
That's how strong the brand is here.

The xbox and its comparatively new exclusives just don't have the same aura.

People seem to be forgetting that they have exclusive Fifa Content and a Fifa Bundle...not to mention they're releasing before the PS4 in Europe. It might happen...you never know.

People seem to be forgetting that they have exclusive Fifa Content and a Fifa Bundle...not to mention they're releasing before the PS4 in Europe. It might happen...you never know.

Nope, not gonna happen.

On Amazon.de Bestseller list:
Fifa 14 PS4 is at nr2
Fifa 14 Xbone is nr 220

ChiliManiac said:
seem to be forgetting that they have exclusive Fifa Content and a Fifa Bundle...not to mention they're releasing before the PS4 in Europe. It might happen...you never know.

Playstation as a brand is more largely associated with football in Europe by far.

Exclusive game content doesn't break down years of UEFA and Champions League sponsorship.

Lusankya

Sorry to hear that :/.

It's not that bad, people just get the German/English version from Austria or the English version from the UK. There are actually quite some Austrian shops that focus on selling uncut versions to German customers. They all love these kind of news. ;)

Rhindle

I hope Microsoft people realize that to have any chance in continental Europe, they need to release a cheaper, Kinectless unit, and do it FAST.

Otherwise, I think we're looking at a complete blowout in Europe.

Top Bottom