• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announced Xbox Game Pass subscription service

Floody

Game changer

Your move Sony

Sony's move was Plus years ago, it lets you keep access to every game as long as you have Plus and "bought" it when it was the monthly game. The only difference is this isn't spread across multiple platforms sowill be all available in one place and just adds and removes in bigger bulks.
Are these posts serious?

Thats a megaton. Wow. An a good decent price. Its the netflix/EA access model. Someone was bound to try it, glad its one of the big three game manufacturers, means it has more chances of succeeding. This brings a lot of good value to consumers honestly.

ekim

Xbox sucht nach neuen Möglichkeiten, seinen Kunden eine große Auswahl an großartigen Games zum günstigen Preis anzubieten. Für einen kleinen Betrag im Monat erhältst du mit dem Xbox Game Pass unbegrenzten Zugriff auf mehr als 100 fantastische Spiele, darunter beliebte abwärtskompatible Xbox 360 Titel und Xbox One Blockbuster. Der Xbox Game Pass-Katalog wird ständig aktualisiert. Jeden Monat kommen neue Titel hinzu (und gelegentlich werden andere entfernt). Du kannst dich also stets auf neue und spannende Spiele freuen. Du kannst Vollversionen der Spiele führender Publisher herunterladen und 30 Tage lang offline spielen. Der Xbox Game Pass ist dein Ticket für unbegrenzten Spielspaß.

It says games will be added and sometimes be removed in the FAQ

http://www.xbox.com/de-DE/games/xbox-game-pass

and 30 days playing offline.

kulapik

Hmm...
Will Xbox Game Pass be available on Xbox 360?
Xbox Game Pass will only be available on Xbox One and Windows 10 devices. While some Xbox 360 backwards compatible games will be included in Xbox Game Pass, those titles will not be available on the Xbox 360 console via your subscription.

darkfletcher

Neo Member
Don't have an Xbox... but that is tempting... wow... if this gives what it's promising sony will be forced to do the same... I hope so!

Awesome! Now they just need good games to make the service appealing. I would pay for a service like this one on PS4 from day 0.

Sad day for gaming. Continuing down the road of gaming as a service will not benefit the consumer in the long run.

Yeah like EA Access right? Fanboys never cease to amuse me.

mcrommert

Banned
As an xbox gamer i want them to always be behind...even if it is only slightly. When they are they do things like this

Most excellent

ironcreed

Banned
I'm betting there will be some Microsoft titles that are mainstays to anchor the library, like Halo 5, while others come and go.

And I am sure that you keep what you download, even after the games cycle out. It's a good deal for those who wait and missed out on a lot of games.

Wereroku

It's like EA access, man. The games are yours for as long as you are subscribed.

No it's not the same. The game is available to you until it cycles out of the service. So if you are halfway through playing it and it cycles out you are going to have to purchase it to finish the game or wait for it to cycle back in.

And I am sure that you keep what you download, even after the games cycle out. It's a good deal for those who wait and missed out on a lot of games.

Nope if you kept what you downloaded there would be no reason to give people a discount to purchase permanently. If the game cycles out access is turned off.

Yager

Banned
I hope they let people know which games are going out with enough time, so they can plan on buying those games or not (like, a month before the game's no longer available). But this looks pretty good.

Justin

Horizon is out today, Zelda and Nintendo Hardware is out this week. Microsoft needs a remember us!! And this is a pretty good one.

You can say that or you can just say they announced it today because as it says in the press release the feature is being sent out to insider builds today.

I'm going to be fascinated by how this thing does for them. For $10 a month, this is a pretty significant value. Especially if they're delivering a consistent rotating selection of games about 18mo out of release.

That effectively creates a new price tier for game distribution. One that a lot of people would want to jump on.

My guess is that Microsoft rolls out this service nationwide in the Summer, combined with a price drop on the ONE S that knocks it into the $250 range. Giving value consumers constant current-gen games at a very cheap price.

This is the Netflix of gaming. There's a reason that business model prospered.

amdb00mer

It's not streaming.

"Originally Posted by Microsoft

One of the best things about Xbox Game Pass is that you can discover and download the full titles directly on your Xbox One."

You download the titles to your Xbox. I like this, because if I decide to buy a title it simply unlocks kind of like the old XBLA trials after downloading. I bet this ends up covering 'Play Anywhere' titles as well on Windows10.

Not necessarily. It's like Netflix -- you'll probably get newer titles later, and the selection might change once licensing deals expire.

Ah i see. In my case not extremely interesting then because i use game sharing, plus as soon as a promising game launches...we buy it right away. Take for example Styx 2, i might not buy it in March because of Zelda and Mass Effect, but i probably will in April.

danowat

Banned
I'd be surprised if this was the case, it is mentioned in the T's & C's anywhere?

Especially if you need gold to play multiplayer on top of this, no thanks. I'd rather just buy games when they hit sales for $5-$10.

Just how many XBO games ever hit $5-$10?

Sony's move was Plus years ago, it lets you keep access to every game as long as you have Plus and "bought" it when it was the monthly game. The only difference is this isn't spread across multiple platforms sowill be all available in one place and just adds and removes in bigger bulks.
Are these posts serious?
Are you seriously comparing plus to this service Lmao what?

Angel_DvA

Are these posts serious?

Well, PS+ suck ass and PS Now don't exist in Europe so Yes, Sony, your move.

killroy87

If it's anything like EA access, it's something I'd pay for and never actually use, so I won't be touching it, but great idea for those on a budget.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This seems like great value on the surface.

Curious to see the library before deciding whether it's really worth it or not.

I'd definately try this out for €10 a month. Being able to download the games to your console makes it so much better then PSNow.

You can still buy physical copies and you aren't going to have launch titles on the service. But this was going to happen eventually.
The water is being tested. The day will come when content is locked behind individual publisher subscriptions and eventually whole games themselves.

Loot crates were a trial balloon for a service model. It's an infection, a pestilence. Consumer rights laws aren't robust enough to prevent abuse.

RodzTF

So it's basically Instant Game Collection, yet a ton more stuff to choose from.

Interesting and smart move from Microsoft.

Also, someone trademark "PS Now Even Better" haha

Isn't this almost identical to Nintendo's thing?

So you can download the game to your Xbox, play for a month, and when it's cycled out you can't play anymore? 100 games though, great selection,

Not all of them though, If Microsoft is smart then they will highlight which games are going and which games are staying

kulapik

Makes sense if you remember that they don't have a way to make time limited licenses for games on Xbox 360. That's why GWG games for 360 are yours even if you cancel Live Gold.

I was looking more at the "Windows 10 devices" part

It's not gonna have new games.

It will be just EA Access but for non-EA games games, e.g. Crackdown 3 comes out then a year or whatever later it joins the Game Pass 'vault'.

Is my guess.

pswii60

My problem is time not money, already have a backlog and so many great new games coming out every month. So it's not really for me, but this would have been amazing when I was a kid. I can see it being popular as long as the selection is good with regular new additions.

Everybody going that monthly sub route.

I'm in. Just offer me that Platinum Live subscription with Groove Music, XBox Live, Subscription and a small discount on the three of them....

With hindsight, the work done on the back end to work through licensing and timed demos seems to have made them confident this is going to work well.

I was looking more at the "Windows 10 devices" part

Wow. Just spotted that. Don't game on PC but I wonder how much of a draw that is.

Top Bottom