• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Business Update Podcast | OT | SEGABOX |

King Dazzar

What a wet fart of a show. The only mildly interesting thing for me was how uncomfortable all 3 of them appeared and how non-cohesive as a team they came across.

Great video in which they pretty much confirmed that their vision had absolutely not changed the slightest. They are putting 4 games on other platforms.

Everything else were unrealistic narratives pushed by people. No wonder they were baffled by the rumors...

Game Pass is not going to be stopped. All their games are not coming day-one to competitor platforms. They are not going third party.

So basically what any sane people could expect from the rumors.
What are these 4 games?

dem

Putting games on your #1 rival console is pretty damned new. With a no hard stance NO on everything else. How warm is that water getting?

Phil did say 8 years ago they would NOT put all their games day and date on the PC, fast forward to today.

Is it though? Minecraft Dungeons got shipped elsewhere

We'll be back again at this next year but this time Phil will be announcing Starfield. Anyone who believes it will be only 4 games and no other games are coming to PS and Switch is lying to themselves. This podcast was cope and damage control. The biggest news out of this is that MS is going third party no matter how they choose to damage control it.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We're gonna keep doing this song and dance all this year and next, aren't we ? :p
Even longer, I'd say. As I said a few days ago, porting games take time and companies also spread game releases to spread revenue and avoid cannibalization.

Sony still hasn't ported 2020 games like Demon's Souls and Ghost of Tsushima.

It'll take Xbox a few years to fully port their catalog. They are doing 5 games in the beginning, which is already more than I expected (As Dusk Falls is the 5th one).

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Mega!

All I wanted to hear is the reinforcement of my account being safe!

theyve fucking nailed it. Happy with this.

The water is nice and warm, isn't it?

Atrus

Gold Member
After watching the whole thing now itā€™s clear that Microsoft is focussing more on being a third party publisher and it is driven by ā€œbusinessā€ and ā€œinvestmentā€ but Phil is too spineless to say anything concrete, even the names of the games that were leaked.

It honestly doesnā€™t sound like he was the one spearheading the change, just the one who needs to carry out orders to meet the end goal.

They talk about not damaging the established communities of the franchises theyā€™ve bought, cross play and cross saves on other platforms, and introducing games onto other platforms which all hint at more XBOX multiplatform games to come.

Why do I feel like their endgame strategy is:

Gradually bring out games to other platforms, but use Game Pass as an ecosystem and take it everywhere.

From there, they can buy out other people and say "Well, you can't fight us on it because you CAN get those games, but only in our streaming ecosystem first unless you wait"

But developers can't get much revenue so they try and GAAS everything.

Ugh. Hope that doesn't happen.

Skelterz

Iā€™ve found this discussion somewhat tone deaf they talk about the industry not growing and how dangerous it is and how the model needs to shift etc, But Sony and Nintendo are doing just fine? Same old model games get developed people buy game people buy system because great exclusives itā€™s a tried a true model that works.

It sounds to me like Xbox are unhappy there not successful as the big boys and the reason there not is because there games arenā€™t as compelling.

Last edited:

FireFly

I think the latter part of the video where they talk about the NEED to grow or DIE is more pertinent. He says we have to reach more players and thats why we are porting these games. Then Tom Warren says oh its just a bunch of smaller games like Hifi Rush, Grounded and Pertinent. Im sorry but how much growth/revenue are they getting from these games?

In order for them to grow, they will need to port the big boys. Plain and simple. This is just damage control. Start out small like Gears and Quantum Break then release everything day one.
They also made clear that they don't want to damage Xbox as a platform. So it's basically a balancing act.

I think Halo. Grounded would have also fit the "smaller" games bill.
I think Halo MCC would make a lot of sense. Since it's not a flagship title any more and would drive a lot of interest into the community.

Banjo64

cumsessed
phil just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about body language culture (I'm an expert), but playing with your wedding ring and making eye contact with a strong minority female are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in england where you can become successful by being an meek pussy. If you touch your wedding ring in america it means that your platform is going third party, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the burger public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase xbox games for any system, nor will they purchase any of philā€™s bullshit. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but phil has alienated an entire market with this move.

phil, publicly apologize and cancel your marriage or you can kiss your business goodbye.

YuLY

They just oiled you up, this doesnt change anything. It will only continue to dilute the xbox brand and less people will chose it and just get a PS5, that 1:4 only about to get worse. Eventually I'm sure even Starfield will get to PS5.

They oiled you up through PR.

LordCBH

They just oiled you up, this doesnt change anything. It will only continue to dilute the xbox brand and less people will chose it and just get a PS5, that 1:4 only about to get worse. Eventually I'm sure even Starfield will get to PS5.

They oiled you up through PR.

Starfield Special Edition on PS6 lol

Hohenheim

Well, that was a whole lot of "nothing new happening". They could have summed this up in a tweet. Why bother making this video?

Come on.. 4 games, two of which are GAAS. And the other two High Fi Rush and Pentiment I suppose? The fanboys went full retard and straight to suicide watch-mode because of this? And of course things might/will change in the future. Every business changes over time.

RIP "Insiders" and hysterical dramaqueen fanboys who sold their consoles and acted like fuckin' lunatics. Embarrasing.

fallingdove

Gotta hand it to Xbox. This was handled about as well as it could have been handled.

That said, it was obvious that there was more to the story than they were willing to share. Between the lines, itā€™s clear that they are exploring options with 3rd parties to produce Xbox hardware. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if the next gen Xbox X represents a insanely priced, insanely spec-ed machine but you can also buy a value oriented machine from Asus or Alienware or whatever.

Also pretty clear that games that have been on Xbox for a year or more will be considered for PlayStation/Switch. The fact that Phil mentioned multiple times that ā€œmoving games multiplat is an important component in keeping Xbox aroundā€ is telling. Tiny trash games like Pentiment arenā€™t going to deliver that impact.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Just gonna quote myself...

Alright, but just to be clear, let me list out what I have been saying (sorry I mean the nonsense I have been spouting)... so you can't come and lie about it in the future...

1. In the next 3+ years, MS will be fully multiplatform on releases. be that day one, or timed, but whatever they make, will come to PlayStation and/or Nintendo.
  2. It will start with a few games first, and they will say going forward, everything will be done on a case-by-case basis. They will never outright come and say, that everything we make is going to PlayStation too. Never. Not once will that be said. I even mentioned, that its possible they never even mention PlayStation, and instead, just keep saying, other platforms.
  3. Focus would shift from Xbox hardware in its traditional form. I never once said they will no longer make any Xbox hardware, their focus will just shift from it. EWven more so than it currently has. At worst, Xbox hardware and its variants can be licensed out to third-party OEMS. Like Nvidia and AMD does with GPUs. This will not start happening till sometime in 2026. At best, they don't do that, but make an Xbox surface like number of devices, premium Xbox, handheld Xbox...etc. But sold for profit and as outliers.
That's what I have been saying. So yh, let's see what happens over the next 3 years because you are looking only as far as next week. I am looking through the next 3 years. Anyone with half a brain can pretty much figure out exactly what they will say.... no, have to say next week. Or you want me to give you potential bullet points for that too?

I have been saying this would be a PR salad. But the core messages are there for anyone that really wants to listen.

Hint: "Growth". Just look at how many times that was said in that video.

Top Bottom