• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft FY2017 Q3 Earnings - Xbox Live MAU 52m (up 13%) Gaming revenue $1.928bn

Boke1879

I'm going to agree with you. I think MS has a much better marketing plan this time around.

But only if Scorpio is priced at $399.

Again Scorpio isn't outselling anything. Not when PS4 Slim and Xb1 S will no doubt be had for $200 cheaper.

I feel some people are vastly overstating how well they think the Scorpio will due based on their own personal hype.

You really think this system is going to outsell the One S or the Slim when it plays the same games on consoles that are $200 cheaper?

It'll be shocked if isn't 4B. Minimum.

Joke or serious? i really can't tell with all your posts

Last year Sony made 315.5bn Yen or roughly $2.85bn
and the Ps4 was sold for $349
now you have the Ps4 Slim for $249 most of the time

Sony should beat $3bn tho, thanks to the increase in Network sales

Anyone want to talk about Office 365 or Azure?

yeah sure. what do you want to know or talk about?
Office 365 commercial seats are growing still at an insane rate of over 30% YoY

Boke1879

They have the marketing and power advantage, and somewhat of a good luck charm if RDR2 releases that holiday. Definitive version of the biggest game of the year.

Power advantage is like the last thing anyone should be factoring in when it comes to sales. It's price and games.

You're forgetting there are 360's and PS3's still
Out there. Their revenue isn't only from XB1 and PS4

no i don't
that is exactly the whole point i was making
revenue isn't only XB1 and PS4

but 360 and PS3 revenue is tiny now. basically non existent (you can have a look at the pal charts topics for some abysmal last gen software sales)
it's more game sales, mtx, dlc, advertising revenue, pc revenue and all that stuff

no i don't
that is exactly the whole point i was making
revenue isn't only XB1 and PS4

but 360 and PS3 revenue is tiny now. basically non existent (you can have a look at the pal charts topics for some abysmal last gen software sales)
it's more game sales, mtx, dlc, advertising revenue, pc revenue and all that stuff

Around 30million XB1's sold but they have more than 50million live subscribers.Im assuming there are a lot of 360 live subscribers out there

And yeah game sales like minecraft

ethomaz

Banned
Around 30million XB1's sold but they have more than 50million live subscribers.Im assuming there are a lot of 360 live subscribers out there

50 million live subscribers on XB1, X360, Win10 and mobile.

I guess the never break the number for consoles only.

Have we really reached the point where we need to compare revenue between the two companies? Wasn't console sales enough?

what else do you want to use and compare gaming companies success today?
console unit sales with mid gen refreshes you sell to the same already existing userbase?
game unit sales when DLC and MTX is making more money and is more important for the profit margin?
Xbox Live and PS+ becoming more and more important with higher penetration and new services like EA Access and Xbox Gamepass are born?

Revenue, (active) Userbase, Margin
That are the most important metrics today

the 52m MAU figure is not Xbox Live gold subscriber only
it's both silver and gold, free and payed user

But...But Dehnus said that MS will quit consoles. He said so today.

Really glad to hear MS is doing well. The console industry is healthy which is a good thing.

WoW
that is a post from yesterday :D

All the unpleased MS shareholder, who hate the 500.000% increase since IPO including dividends
this is the best performing stock of all time and it always make me laught to read stuff like this

cyber_ninja

x9EmW59.jpg

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
We don't get console sales from Microsoft though anymore.

Yup, blame them.

console unit sales with mid gen refreshes you sell to the same already existing userbase?
game unit sales when DLC and MTX is making more money and is more important for the profit margin?
Xbox Live and PS+ becoming more and more important with higher penetration and new services like EA Access and Xbox Gamepass are born?

the 52m MAU figure is not Xbox Live gold subscriber only
it's both silver and gold, free and payed user

WoW
that is a post from yesterday :D

All the unpleased MS shareholder, who hate the 500.000% increase since IPO including dividends
this is the best performing stock of all time and it always make me laught to read stuff like this

Why Not Both?

Revenue, profit should have always been important to these companies. Its just not as fun for us.

Yup, blame them.

Why Not Both?

haha ofc. that would be best and most preferred
but Microsoft is still not a gaming company. and the gaming (sub)division is not that that important for the overall company performance, unlike Sony as example. so they don't break their gaming division down that detailed.

they don't have to. and it benefits them to don't do it
every shareholder would like to have all the confidential internal data also

Rolf NB

If Microsoft could be arsed to do a proper segment breakdown of revenue and OI, nobody would care about MAUs. We're supposed to use them as an indicator for platform health, because oh look, it's a number and sometimes it goes up. But what's the contribution?

Speaking of respectable platform holders, Sony doesn't just report OI per segment, they also break down revenues within the segments (hardware, network, other in their gaming division).

What is Microsoft doing to stakeholders to get away with this opaque shit year after year?

haha ofc. that would be best and most preferred
but Microsoft is still not a gaming company. and the gaming (sub)division is not that that important for the overall company performance, unlike Sony as example. so they don't break their gaming division down that detailed.

they don't have to. and it benefits them to don't do it
every shareholder would like to have all the confidential internal data also
Explain.

gamz

MSFT always delivers. Stock is a bit flat, but that's par for the course. As a stockholder, I'm happy with the results.

Stock hasn't been flat since Satya took over. I mean the stock is at 68! It wasn't too long ago it was resting in the mid to high 40's and low 50's. As a stockholder I'm sure you're happy.

jeffram

Damn at the revenue for Xbox. Even when they're beaten in sales very badly they're still not that far from Sony.
It's combined gaming revenue, so Things like Minecraft are included, and Minecraft needs to contribute a couple hundred million per year to justify how much MS paid for it.

What is Microsoft doing to stakeholders to get away with this opaque shit year after year?
They pay a nice fat dividend and since the gaming division is a small distraction for the rest of the company it doesn't affect the dividend.

That's why investors don't give a shit about Xbox

4Tran

They pay a nice fat dividend and since the gaming division is a small distraction for the rest of the company it doesn't affect the dividend.

That's why investors don't give a shit about Xbox
Gaming isn't even a distraction. It's entirely inconsequential to Microsoft's bottom line because the Windows, Server, and Office business generate so much profit year in year out.

Stock hasn't been flat since Satya took over. I mean the stock is at 68! It wasn't too long ago it was resting in the mid to high 40's and low 50's. As a stockholder I'm sure you're happy.

I should have specified stock was flat in after hours trading and has gone down a bit today, but your point is correct, the stock is moving in the right direction.

If Microsoft could be arsed to do a proper segment breakdown of revenue and OI, nobody would care about MAUs. We're supposed to use them as an indicator for platform health, because oh look, it's a number and sometimes it goes up. But what's the contribution?

Speaking of respectable platform holders, Sony doesn't just report OI per segment, they also break down revenues within the segments (hardware, network, other in their gaming division).

Explain.

public traded companies are obligated to report their financials, so investor can make educated decision.
they're not obligated to make internals public. especially not stuff, that is giving them a potential competitive disadvantage, because competitors could take that information and deduct what deals they have in place with suppliers and customers to undercut them or something like that.

Imagine a report "we make $3 gross profit on each 500GB Xbox One, $17 on each 1TB Xbox One S"
sure investor would love that stuff, but you don't get it.

Activison also only reports MAU and overall company wide gross margins and profits.
They don't report "Pc gaming has this margin, Console this one, and F2P this"
But sure as hell, EA, Ubisoft and investors would kill to know ;)

And why they changed from console units to MAU?
That was discussed here several times. MAU is a leading indicator, while console unit sales is a trailing indicator. MAU is just a way more fitting indicator for todays gaming industry. Especially for Microsoft and their strategic direction where they're going. Both Company wide and with the Gaming Division

Yeah, but the same 1.7 adds up to Ms revenue matching Sony's, so by your words, they are not that far off.

the discussion is just ridiculous

when you sell 47% more than someone else or something else you're actually closer to sell them same than selling double the amount.
that is a fact and not deniable. you're closer by math.
so you could go and make this statement "Sony is not far off from making only the same revenue as Microsoft" and that statement would be even more "correct"
and how does that statement sound? stupid!

1.5 is far off from 2
as far as 1.5 is from 1

but lets give him this quarter
Sonys gaming revenue is 3.4bn while Microsoft is 1.9bn
that is 179%
that can at least be considered to getting close to 200%

Q4CY2015 Sonys G&NS division made ~137% of Microsofts gaming revenue
Q1CY2016 Sonys G&NS division made ~166% of Microsofts gaming revenue
Q2CY2016 no data yet...
Q3CY2016 Sonys G&NS division made ~144% of Microsofts gaming revenue
Q4CY2016 Sonys G&NS division made ~147% of Microsofts gaming revenue
Q1CY2017 Sonys G&NS division made ~179% of Microsofts gaming revenue
(someone sees a pattern here? Sony has always a very strong Q1, while Microsoft has a very weak Q1)

ethomaz

Banned
the discussion is just ridiculous

when you sell 47% more than someone else or something else you're actually closer to sell them same than selling double the amount.
that is a fact and not deniable. you're closer by math.
so you could go and make this statement "Sony is not far off from making only the same revenue as Microsoft" and that statement would be even more "correct"
and how does that statement sound? stupid!

1.5 is far off from 2
as far as 1.5 is from 1

but lets give him this quarter
Sonys gaming revenue is 3.4bn while Microsoft is 1.9bn
that is 179%
that can at least be considered to getting close to 200%

Q4CY2015 Sonys G&NS division made ~137% of Microsofts gaming revenue
Q1CY2016 Sonys G&NS division made ~166% of Microsofts gaming revenue
Q2CY2016 no data yet...
Q3CY2016 Sonys G&NS division made ~144% of Microsofts gaming revenue
Q4CY2016 Sonys G&NS division made ~147% of Microsofts gaming revenue
Q1CY2017 Sonys G&NS division made ~179% of Microsofts gaming revenue
(someone sees a pattern here? Sony has always a very strong Q1, while Microsoft has a very weak Q1)
It is not 2x just because MS incorporates PC and mobile (and that is fair because it is MS business)...

If you look only consoles (where the 2:1 userbase exists) then it is probably close to 2x or even bigger.

Anybody that wants to make a comparison between userbase vs revenue needs to remove the revenue outside the userbase to be accurate... MS number are inflated because revenue from places outside the userbase being compared.

PS4 userbase = 2.1x XB1 userbase

But...

PS4 userbase revenue = 2.1x XB1 userbase - Non-MS userbase revenue

yurinka

Who cares about MAU, it doesn't mean anything.

Revenue + profit/losses, and amount consoles and game solds are the important stuff.

cakely

I predict!!!! ♏ will be the sales leader for Xbox this holiday.

Edit:. Unless supplies strip demand.

The Xbox One Scorpio will make up about 20% of total Xbox sales this holiday season. Also, it's really unlikely supplies will outstrip demand. Microsoft will likely sell what they manufacture.

What is this "m"? I have seen it come up several places, but have no idea what it is. Please help me.

The Xbox twitter cult started using the zodiac symbol for Scorpio in their usernames.

Gamz is trying to bring it to GAF. It's not working.

sense

public traded companies are obligated to report their financials, so investor can make educated decision.
they're not obligated to make internals public. especially not stuff, that is giving them a potential competitive disadvantage, because competitors could take that information and deduct what deals they have in place with suppliers and customers to undercut them or something like that.

Imagine a report "we make $3 gross profit on each 500GB Xbox One, $17 on each 1TB Xbox One S"
sure investor would love that stuff, but you don't get it.

Activison also only reports MAU and overall company wide gross margins and profits.
They don't report "Pc gaming has this margin, Console this one, and F2P this"
But sure as hell, EA, Ubisoft and investors would kill to know ;)

And why they changed from console units to MAU?
That was discussed here several times. MAU is a leading indicator, while console unit sales is a trailing indicator. MAU is just a way more fitting indicator for todays gaming industry. Especially for Microsoft and their strategic direction where they're going. Both Company wide and with the Gaming

Question: would ms have shifted to reporting mau if they were leading in console sales like last gen? Do you really think they would have stopped talking numbers if they were winning?

Question: would ms have shifted to reporting mau if they were leading in console sales like last gen? Do you really think they would have stopped talking numbers if they were winning?

They'd probably be doing both.

Anyone acting like MAU isn't a widely reported stat is flat out wrong.

Top Bottom