• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft gathering community opinions on porting Killer Instinct to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have so many people on GAF that shit on PC gaming because they don't want to put the tower in the living room because it would clash with aesthetics, they don't want to EVER mess with the keyboard, they don't want to build a PC, or they think you have to upgrade parts all the time, that I don't think Microsoft would be hurt by bringing their games over. I think most people simply do not want anything more complicated than plugging a box into the TV and having it work.

Bergerac

Console wars is what matters.

No platform health is what matters. 'Console wars' would mean the majority - that don't own the X1 - would be in favour of it going multiplatform, not against. Funny that. Read this thread. How many of us are saying 'yay to PC' and yet PC fanboyism can't possibly play a part in any of those replies now, can it?

I have no interest in KI, and right now not much reason to buy an X1. Or any of the current consoles. I don't have any of them because they don't have enough of their own games. First party efforts are not enough, and I don't think it's particularly fair we expect everything of first and second party. Third party exclusives would give everyone another reason to buy a system. Everyone comes to the defence of third parties/publishers not being able to recoup costs in the 'exclusive vs multi' argument, but quite frankly if they made less games and polished them, they could afford to be exclusive.

' ...but more people get to play.'

And how does that stand as a demographic, versus the people that are having their purchase devalued when a former exclusives gets whored out?

The irony is the implication that anyone who votes against is being selfish. No, that would be those wanting to have and play everything, yet pass it off as 'altruism'. Conversely, I'm considerate to the systems and experiences that I have no personal interest in.

This game should not go multiplatform, for the sake of the XBox One. Adding to the irony, is that this is coming from someone who has, console wise, voted Sony the whole time they've been in the running, and is primarily a PC player.

KI to PC is one less reason to get an XBox One, which doesn't have many to begin with. Use your brain. We aren't fanboys. We're the antithesis. We're viewing the situation from a wider FOV.

Now, if anyone would care to explain why the existence of a desired game that can't be played because it's on a system you haven't bought, isn't allowed to be a 'thing'...

giphy.gif

charsace

If there wouldn't be an adverse effect then why aren't Sony and Nintendo talking about doing this? Wouldn't it make sense for them to also not leave sales on the table?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Do it Microsoft! You'll get more people on board Killer Instinct. It's one more reason to not own an Xbox One, unless they really push console exclusives for XBO. I've wanted to play the new KI since it launched, but I didn't have a good enough reason to own the console. I owned the original and also played quite bit of the sequel in the arcades growing up.

Exactly this. The only reason to own a console now is for exclusive games as it isn't like the 90's anymore where most console games didn't see a PC release. If a consoles exclusives came out on PC then what is the point in owning said console? There is no point in owning that console. I would trade in my xbox with the quickness if the exclusive games came out for PC and invest the xbox money into my PC.

The only reason? I guess you just assume everyone has the desire to build and maintain a gaming pc? I've pretty much transitioned over to just a Sufrace Pro 3, so if a pc release can't run on that I'm just not interested. That means most of my gaming outside of some indie titles are done on my Xbox One and PS4. So yeah, I could really care less what does or doesn't end up on PC. There is definitely a reason for consoles existing.But whatever,

-Cwalat-

No platform health is what matters. 'Console wars' would mean the majority - that don't own the X1 - would be in favour of it going multiplatform, not against. Funny that. Read this thread. How many of us are saying 'yay to PC' and yet PC fanboyism can't possibly play a part in any of those replies now, can it?

I have no interest in KI, and right now not much reason to buy an X1. Or any of the current consoles. I don't have any of them because they don't have enough of their own games. First party efforts are not enough, and I don't think it's particularly fair we expect everything of first and second party. Third party exclusives would give everyone another reason to buy a system. Everyone comes to the defence of third parties/publishers not being able to recoup costs in the 'exclusive vs multi' argument, but quite frankly if they made less games and polished them, they could afford to be exclusive.

' ...but more people get to play.'

And how does that stand as a demographic, versus the people that are having their purchase devalued when a former exclusives gets whored out?

The irony is the implication that anyone who votes against is being selfish. No, that would be those wanting to have and play everything, yet pass it off as 'altruism'. Conversely, I'm considerate to the systems and experiences that I have no personal interest in.

This game should not go multiplatform, for the sake of the XBox One. Adding to the irony, is that this is coming from someone who has, console wise, voted Sony the whole time they've been in the running, and is primarily a PC player.

KI to PC is one less reason to get an XBox One, which doesn't have many to begin with. Use your brain. We aren't fanboys. We're the antithesis. We're viewing the situation from a wider FOV.

Now, if anyone would care to explain why the existence of a desired game that can't be played because it's on a system you haven't bought, isn't allowed to be a 'thing'...

giphy.gif

All i can say is that's the primary reason i didn't get an Xbox One and i got a PS4. I know alot of the titles i'm interested in i wouldn't be able to play on an Xbox One.

Most people own a PC. If a rare Xbox One title that looked interesting, but not enough to suffice an extra console purchase, came to PC then i would be able to purchase it and try it on PC, which is also a bonus. The same thing goes the other way around.

What?

An exclusive game doesn't benefit anyone but the platform holder (and maybe the developer if they're being paid enough or can't make the game other wise. ex: Bayonetta 2). The owners of a system aren't suddenly adversely affected if a game shows up on another platform. Exclusives aren't the only thing that keep up an install base.

I just explained exactly how it could have an adverse effect on the owners of the platform, I'm not sure what's so hard to comprehend there, but if you point me to the specific part you're having trouble with, I'll be glad to clarify.

In the specific case of Bayonetta 2, it was a system seller for some people that wouldn't have bought a Wii U had it also been available elsewhere. Given enough exclusives, you might get enough system sellers, and a big enough user base to make a platform attractive to developers and publishers alike. Net result? Everybody profits, including the platform owners.

Similarly, the growth of a platform that routinely loses its exclusives to PC or other consoles may be impaired, because people who would otherwise buy it might change their minds reasoning "why do I need it when all of its big games end up on PC eventually?" The dominoes fall in the other direction and in the end the owners of the platform lose out.

And yes, not only games sell platforms, but at this early stage they are usually quite important. Also, I'd like to see some hard (not anecdotal) evidence to this claim:

The Xbox 360 was successful last gen mostly because Xbox Live reached a point of inertia where everybody and their friends played on it.

Because there's none.

Skab

While I understand where you're coming from, and even agree to a point, I also think you have to be willing to look at these things on a case by case basis. The big first party titles, sure. But KI isn't selling consoles anymore. The fighting game fans, the ones willing to buy the console just for KI, already have it.

So while your argument is valid overall, KI itself wouldnt have much of an affect on the systems lifespan at this point.

Nzyme32

For me the decision is simple. I know that it is incredibly likely that I will not be getting an Xbox One, due to a whole host of reasons separate from the games themselves. I was a big KI fan back in the snes days, so the interest is there. My only option for getting it, is if it is on PC. I suspect that for many of the older KI fans, this is a similar scenario.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I understand both sides of this argument, and subjectively speaking, I'd rather they didn't give people less reasons to buy an Xbox One.

Speaking OBjectively, this is all about money. Ultimately, if you buy Killer Instinct on PC, Microsft is still getting money, return on their investment. Killer Instinct gets more exposure as the phenomenal fighting game that it is and who knows, if they introduce cross play as a standard feature across future first party titles it could end up encouraging some PC players to get an Xbox One to complement their PC as a result. Especially given the upcoming universal App Store.

Probably a smart move.

kodecraft

I understand both sides of this argument, and subjectively speaking, I'd rather they didn't give people less reasons to buy an Xbox One.

Speaking OBjectively, this is all about money. Ultimately, if you buy Killer Instinct on PC, Microsft is still getting money, return on their investment. Killer Instinct gets more exposure as the phenomenal fighting game that it is and who knows, if they introduce cross play as a standard feature across future first party titles it could end up encouraging some PC players to get an Xbox One to complement their PC as a result. Especially given the upcoming universal App Store.

Probably a smart move.

I like this.

For me the decision is simple. I know that it is incredibly likely that I will not be getting an Xbox One, due to a whole host of reasons separate from the games themselves. I was a big KI fan back in the snes days, so the interest is there. My only option for getting it, is if it is on PC. I suspect that for many of the older KI fans, this is a similar scenario.

And that's why it makes sense to release some of their first party games on PC.

Why not? It's a gained sale they otherwise wouldn't have had and who knows what other monetization plans they have when it comes to PC KI.

Maybe there won't be a F2P option?

Jaeger

This would be a great move. Because I can't afford an Xbox One now, and I have been dying to play this game.

I'd pre-order now, if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom