• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft hiring for Horizon Zero Dawn-like game, maybe by Playground (Forza Horizon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Moose

I thought Phil said they weren't interested in doing a single player game like Horizon Zero Dawn?

Good shit anyway, HZD is amazing, will be interesting to see what MS can do.

Theorry

Playground's new IP being multiplatform doesn't make sense here, unless they aren't making FH4 lol, because the job list clearly says it's a MS exclusive and it's very clear that this game is from Playground.

Playground opened a second studio.

KaiserBecks

*eye-roll* There's like 5 tallnecks in the entire game, it's not like it's even a core gameplay mechanic. What a silly reason to drop a fantastic game.

What about the combat? The story? You climb one tallneck and suddenly these things don't matter? Well, OK... :S

No, I think I gave the game another couple of hours. Cleared out a bandit camp (check), hunted animals for loot in order to craft better gear (check), triggered fetch/detective vision quests (check). I dropped Far Cry 3 pretty much at the same point I think. Like I said, to me, the only thing impressive are the visuals (in moderation though, I thought the constant lighting changes were annoying as hell). The rest seems very much done by-the-numbers.

Dynomutt

A discussion about originality in games would be a worthwhile discussion to have... just not in this thread.

Oh I was just making a reference to the notion that this game is not original. Many seem to scold them saying a Horizon like game. Nothing wrong with that as long as the game is good.

But your right no need to derail.

Bold One

Anyone interpreting "Like Horizon" as anything other than, "We're making an open-world, third person action game." is waaaay overthinking things.

Definitely, though it is odd to specifically mention HZD given the plethora of open world third-person games out there.

Because Horizon is so original, right?

In terms of art direction, setting, tone, protagonist, it certainly was.

In terms of game mechanics, of course it wasn't. But then what AAA game made with AAA-level budgets are original?... Answer: so few that it might as well be none.

Now, tell me again why it even matters?

Xumbrega

Banned
Expansion. Of course more Forza's that's what pays the bills.

Well second studio means there is a first studio also. :D
They never gonna drop Forza Horizon as that is the one that brings in the money when the second studio for some years only will cost money.

Oh, I know, I'm saying that to people saying the Playground new IP is multiplatform, that's why it doesn't make sense, it's clearly a Microsoft exclusive by the job listings.

squidyj

They used a popular game to describe their game. I'd wait to see the game itself before getting out the pitchforks.

gamz

Oh, I know, I'm saying that to people saying the Playground new IP is multiplatform, that's why it doesn't make sense, it's clearly a Microsoft exclusive by the job listings.

It could be that their plans changed. That MS decided to foot the bill. Nobody knows and all speculation at this point.

Cranster

Banned
I thought Phil said they weren't interested in doing a single player game like Horizon Zero Dawn?
Pretty sure he said no such thing. He simply said those kinds of games (Especially new IPs) are extremily risky from a financial perspective.

GAF just spung it as, "Microsoft hates singleplayer games".

Oh I was just making a reference to the notion that this game is not original. Many seem to scold them saying a Horizon like game. Nothing wrong with that as long as the game is good.

But your right no need to derail.

Oh, that post wasn't meant as a teardown to your post. The opposite in fact. I genuinely think a discussion about originality and it's importance in games is a worthwhile one.

I just think that in a thread started with a post about a tweet about a job post for a MS exclusive game that wants to be "like HZD" (whatever that means), such intelligent discourse almost certainly won't be found.

I mean, just look at the replies so far.

Microsoft doesn't confirm new IP =
"Where the hell are the new IPs?! Phil is a liar!!"

Microsoft confirms they're working on a big new IP akin to a recent highly successful game =
"So original." "Too late."

They can't win can they? It's a recruitment pitch. They want to give people an idea of the type of game they're envisioning.

They've been saying they are working on new ips for 4 years " we hear you" then this e3 Phil 'twitter' spencer says we've got games that are 2 to 3 years out. So it's taking ms 7 years to get some inhouse built exclusives? Lol

Xumbrega

Banned
It could be that their plans changed. That MS decided to foot the bill. Nobody knows and all speculation at this point.

You're right, I'm excited! Playground is a very talented studio. This could be the next big thing from Microsoft.

I have no problems of games borrowing some cool things from other games, but to straight up try to copy or make a clone of another game is shameful. While we still don't know anything about this yet to be announced project, I hope they make better messages when they recruit people. I seriously doubt someone who is talented is going to apply for a job at MS fully knowing he will try to imitate another artist work regardless of the underlying message of that tweet.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Nothing wrong with following the leader as long as you also bring something new to the equation.

LoveCake

The games I am currently playing the most of is Horizon Zero Dawn and Forza Horizon 3.

How long did Horizon Zero Dawn take to make though? any new game is going to have to be on the "next" Xbox console surely, its going to take about five to six years to make isn't it with the same sort of scope and size.

Rymuth

Didn't Phil say Horizon is a game very with little impact?

Hmmm ;)

Doubtless his supporters had forgotten that interview..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom