• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Investor Wants To Fire Ballmer And Sell Xbox Division

The Flash

Banned
j-jonah-jameson-laughing-gif.gif

Exactly. If you only own 1% of the company than you don't get a say in the matter. This is the same thing with that one guy who owns part of Sony and wanted to split the company up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's profitable in past 5 years at least

MS' entertainment division has become profitable YOY, yes, but from an investment standpoint you have to consider the money Microsoft has invested into the Xbox venture as a whole, and investors are right to feel doubtful if it still hasn't turned a profit, overall, after more than a decade.

fader

Do you really think some Wall Street hotshot cares about thousands of people out of jobs or the console wars if it is better for his bottom line? Not saying this will happen, it probably won't because it sounds a bit crazy, but still.

*sigh* not saying they care, I am just showing compasion....

AAK

In comparison, how bad is Microsoft's total losses since inception compared to Sony's total losses since ps1?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
This would probably be the absolute worst time to get rid of the Xbox division. They just sunk billions into R&D and you don't want to give them time to recuperate it? durrrrrrrr

Drake

I have a hard time understanding how Xbox has not been profitable for MS. I understand they have to put a ridiculous amount of money into R&D and also a absurd amount of money creating Xbox live, but with over 70 million consoles sold, plus $5 a month for Xbox live plus whatever cut they get from publishers for selling games it's hard to imagine they are not making money off the console.

Gorillaz

I forgot that mattrick wanted Xbox to be its own thing....

Investors are probably tired of shit like red rings and how much was put into kinect. Wondering if they are at the point of saying fuck it if the x1 flounders in the first few years..

Dat struggling entertainment sector

Minions

asfd3221125511352.jpg

Don't know if that is accurate but if true than it's understandable that investors would say this.

Edit: Beaten

Not to mention the loss they are (or will) be taking on the Xbox One.... they already said the Kinect costs as much as the console does, and we know the console is about on par with the PS4 which is taking a loss at $399. Then there is the development costs for the controller (which seems absurd).

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I'm gonna go out on a limb here (I don't have the numbers to prove it) but although the Xbox division has made money, the investors feel the xbox division has a smaller profit margin than other divisions.

And you have to remember investors care about the bottom line.

Ondore

obligatory "have they seen titanfall" reply.

But seriously, if the biggest shareholder in the company (Gates) has 6%, it's somewhat understandable that a 1% holder can make waves like this.

Did you know: Mattrick wanted to potentially spin off the Xbox brand?

I think that the Xbox brand would actually be pretty fearsome stripped of all the MS tribalism and conflicting agendas. At least Sony's gaming division know that Kaz understands what they do pretty intimately (and has stated for the record that he sees that division as crucial to his vision for Sony).

avaya

Being sold to Samsung would be the best outcome for Xbox. Brand refresh, galaxy console, proper support and a true challenge to Sony on a global basis.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Thats actually a lot for Microsoft. Bill Gates only owns a bit over 4%, and he's first or second in terms of shares owned.

That's what happens when you're a massive company with mass audience products for the worldwide market, I suppose: lots and lots of stock holders, and the biggest ones have even less than 10% of the whole stock.

Guevara

Ten years, no profit is bad. But the real kicker is how much each new gen costs. I could see a lot of investors liking MS's core business but not liking the Xbox program.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I actually agree that Xbox has been a distraction. Did you know: Mattrick wanted to potentially spin off the Xbox brand?

I think he knew what was coming, what was happening (in terms of the effect integration would have on Xbox).

Remember: he gave up the opportunity to head the new hardware division. I think because he saw it would potentially create a dilution of Xbox's importance within the company and he didn't want to lead that up.

I've said for a while I'd prefer Xbox to be spun off and go back to its more independent roots - or what appeared to be more independent roots, at least.

Dunno about selling it though. To whom?

BadAss2961

Furthermore it is believed they might target the Xbox division and try and get rid of it altogether. This would allow Microsoft to focus on other products and mainly Windows.

“Xbox is cool, but by our estimates Microsoft has not made money at this”
It begins?

MS' entertainment division has become profitable YOY, yes, but from an investment standpoint you have to consider the money Microsoft has invested into the Xbox venture as a whole, and investors are right to feel doubtful if it still hasn't turned a profit, overall, after more than a decade.

Then bing and WP should die first

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
In comparison, how bad is Microsoft's total losses since inception compared to Sony's total losses since ps1?

Well PS3 wiped out all (nearly all?) of the PS2 and PSP profits at first, dunno how much was made up.

It's become profitable YOY, yes, but from an investment standpoint you have to consider the money Microsoft has invested into the Xbox venture as a whole, and investors are right to feel doubtful if Xbox still hasn't turned a profit, overall, after more than a decade.
Yeah, that and opportunity cost: while they're chasing that gaming market and its revenue, aren't there other, more profitable or less risky development opportunities?

Kusagari

The thing is that the Xbox is the one gamble that's at least a minor success in the past 10 years.

Zune, everything they've done in mobile, the Surface are all enormous failures. If I was an investor I'd be be much more concerned with all those fuck ups.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
That's what doesn't make sense. MS spent billions to make Xbox the brand it has become so why just get rid of it? I could maybe understand MS selling Xbox and going the IBM route.

Short term is the only term to shareholders.

Pachter actually answered a question about this exact scenario a month or two ago. He dismissed the plausibility on the fact they have a 1% stake. They would need to get some serious support for this to gain any traction.

But he didn't account for them getting a seat on the board... did he?

The Flash

Banned

One comparison that you can make between Microsoft as a whole and Sony as a whole is this. Microsoft, for the last several years, has made a profit. Sony, on the other hand, has not made a profit in like 8 years. They just recently made a profit last year. Of course this is talking about the companies as a whole and not the Xbox and Playstation divisions.

AmFreak

asfd3221125511352.jpg

Don't know if that is accurate but if true than it's understandable that investors would say this.

Edit: Beaten

Uhm, not really. It has made money the 5 last years and it's very very very unlikely that it will ever make the kinds of looses like the first Xbox.
But the biggest reason to not sell or close the XBox Division is Live (Gold). It is basicly a license to print money, you must be really dumb to kill something like this.

If msft gets rid of xbox its not like xbox will cease to exist, it will be sold to another company or perhaps the ieb div or whatever they are called will become its own company.

Zeroth

That's what doesn't make sense. MS spent billions to make Xbox the brand it has become so why just get rid of it? I could maybe understand MS selling Xbox and going the IBM route.

Well, they wouldn't "get rid of it", they would sell it to someone else, either completely or in parts. Ultimately, it depends on the perspective of how much income Xbox represents to Microsoft as a whole, and how are the prospects of it returning the money spent.

Rad-

Uhm, not really. It has made money the 5 last years and it's very very very unlikely that it will ever make the kinds of looses like the first Xbox.
But the biggest reason to not sell or close the XBox Division is Live (Gold). It is basicly a license to print money, you must be really dumb to kill something like this.

But they wouldn't be killing it, they would be selling it.

Paches

When put that way, I am kind of with you. On that chart it does start to show growth over the last few years finally, but I wonder what the advertising, R&D, and other manufacturing costs will impact that with the One and how much will it pay off? I would expect another dip if they most of those expenses are reflected in FY13.

Apparently the investors have no confidence in the One going forward is what it means to me.

Not to mention the uncertainty with the Xbox business during this new console generation transition.

Tripon

I had to laugh at the implication that MS had to give a board seat to ValueAct. They don't have to do shit. As for selling the XBox division, its more likely that they will just spin it off as a new public company.

But they won't do that either since MS is using XBox as a trojan horse strategy to get into your living room. Its almost a loss leader strategy as long as its in your house, it has done its job.

Xbox is the one product that carries the most good will in all of Microsoft.
Windows 7, Windows Server, Azure, and Office disagree with you.

It's really just Windows 8 and Windows Phone (and arguably Xbox One) that are tanking.

E: And Windows 8 is actually doing okay, despite consumer backlash.

I could see someone like Google or Amazon interested in the Xbox division if this actually came to pass. I doubt it will though.

Zajora

LOL

What a moron... Despite taking some heat, Xbox is the one product that carries the most good will in all of Microsoft... And links together so many important content assets that are mandatory in post PC world

This is a guy without vision.

So many pieces are in play

This reads like four different posts all smushed into one. :p

Top Bottom