• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is increasing the price of Xbox Series X and Xbox Game Pass

Ansphn

Why even bother with such a laughably dishonest comparison?

PlayStation Plus doesn't include Sony's titles day one, Essential isn't the highest tier, none of this works on PC, Essential doesn't include classics, PlayStation Plus doesn't include all of EA Play, and no tier includes perks. It's overpriced for what it is.
Game Pass has all of Mircrosoft's titles day one, Ultimate works on Console and PC, every tier includes every functioning Microsoft title from all generations with notable BC improvements, Ultimate includes all of EA Play, and Ultimate includes monthly perks. Terrific value, even with the price increase.

Sony Ponys are running wild today.
Even without Day 1, PlayStation 1st party games are miles better than Xbox 1st party. Spiderman, Last of us franchise, Uncharted franchise, God of War, Horizon, Demon souls, Bloodborne , Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima, Ratchet Franchise, Death Stranding, Days Gone, and that's just 1st party. There's also Final Fantasy 7 remakes , Stray, Tchia and Humanity.

All game ever made for Xbox old or new cannot compare to the quality of games on PS+.

darrylgorn

The price increase IS the pro console.

Think About It GIF by Identity

ZehDon

Gold Member
Even without Day 1, PlayStation 1st party games are miles better than Xbox 1st party. Spiderman, Last of us franchise, Uncharted franchise, God of War, Horizon, Demon souls, Bloodborne , Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima, Ratchet Franchise, Death Stranding, Days Gone, and that's just 1st party. There's also Final Fantasy 7 remakes , Stray, Tchia and Humanity.

All game ever made for Xbox old or new cannot compare to the quality of games on PS+.
Wow, sounds like Microsoft can't ever hope to compete against PlayStation no matter what they do, not even if they started buying up publishers. I guess regulators have nothing to worry about. You should write to them.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
I thought you were better than this (for some reason)...
I think it's a fair comment, frankly. We're at 12 pages and counting of varying degrees from the vanguard. Apparently, Microsoft are now in control of the entire video game industry, which is why they're finally springing their evil trap! That's an opinion divorced from the physical reality you and I occupy, and calling it that shouldn't be controversial. I congratulated one of our posters for absolutely nailing their prediction that Microsoft would increase their prices before Starfield - crazy accurate, really deserves an award - because I call posts as I see them, and I'm seeing more than a couple wild-ass blue team posts around the green ones running damage control. Mods clearly don't agree with me, so I'll step out here.

Expected. Still believe they will get to $14.99 in the next few years if their acquisitions start pumping out solid titles...

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Friends don't let friends use Windows Store on the PC.

You're a terrible friend.

And why would you bother playing those games on the console when you have them for the PC? Seems redundant while the whole time you wished you bought the Steam versions.

Which people clearly do more so of.
I will never defend the Windows store, even though it is a lot better than what it used to be.

I suppose I have a very niche use case where I play my games primarily on a console, but when the TV is used for something else like my girl watching trash shows (think Love Island, 90-day fiance...), I have the option of playing games on my PC with carry on progression.

Sounds like an AD but the ecosystem really works for me.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I will never defend the Windows store, even though it is a lot better than what it used to be.

I suppose I have a very niche use case where I play my games primarily on a console, but when the TV is used for something else like my girl watching trash shows (think Love Island, 90-day fiance...), I have the option of playing games on my PC with carry on progression.

Xcloud has also been real good lately, but I guess your location makes a big difference there.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I can see that. Especially the girl watching those shows, part.

Nydius

PlayStation Plus doesn't include Sony's titles day one, Essential isn't the highest tier, none of this works on PC, Essential doesn't include classics, PlayStation Plus doesn't include all of EA Play, and no tier includes perks. It's overpriced for what it is.
Game Pass has all of Mircrosoft's titles day one, Ultimate works on Console and PC, every tier includes every functioning Microsoft title from all generations with notable BC improvements, Ultimate includes all of EA Play, and Ultimate includes monthly perks. Terrific value, even with the price increase.

And yet if you had looked a mere two posts above that one, you would have seen me directly comparing PS+ Premium and Game Pass Ultimate, directly comparing the very points you brought up, including the fact that Premium + EA Play is still cheaper than Game Pass Ultimate, and the PC availability is only a feature for a VERY SMALL portion of their player base, and day one availability means jack shit when they regularly go a year or more without a new first party exclusive.

The only people “running wild” today are green rat hypocrites and shills.

Last edited:

Salz01

It’s pretty simple for me. Going to cancel July 5th and just buy Starfield and Forza on PC. Call it a day.

£30 difference doesn't matter for the console. People are still going to get the console they want. Microsoft had the cheaper console for a while and they still have the cheap series S. Sony really should've released a weaker PS5 at the £200-250 price point. It would have sold like crazy. Smart move by Microsoft.

Game pass price hike was always coming it's no surprise. All subscription services do this. They hook you on a low price then raise it later.

Last edited:

Ansphn

Wow, sounds like Microsoft can't ever hope to compete against PlayStation no matter what they do, not even if they started buying up publishers. I guess regulators have nothing to worry about. You should write to them.
I never said anything about buying up publishers. Of course if they bought up Activision, Gamepass would improve drastically. How about they use their studios to create the games like Sony and Nintendo does instead of buying up the industry? They have more studios than PlayStation does.

Last edited:

Ansphn

I think it's a fair comment, frankly. We're at 12 pages and counting of varying degrees from the vanguard. Apparently, Microsoft are now in control of the entire video game industry, which is why they're finally springing their evil trap! That's an opinion divorced from the physical reality you and I occupy, and calling it that shouldn't be controversial. I congratulated one of our posters for absolutely nailing their prediction that Microsoft would increase their prices before Starfield - crazy accurate, really deserves an award - because I call posts as I see them, and I'm seeing more than a couple wild-ass blue team posts around the green ones running damage control. Mods clearly don't agree with me, so I'll step out here.
The same Microsoft that has a history of monopolistic practices, squeezing up competition?...that same Microsoft should now be trusted because you like Xbox?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
£30 difference doesn't matter for the console. People are still going to get the console they want. Microsoft had the cheaper console for a while and they still have the cheap series S. Sony really should've released a weaker PS5 at the £200-250 price point. It would have sold like crazy. Smart move by Microsoft.

Game pass price hike was always coming it's no surprise. All subscription services do this. They hook you on a low price then raise it later.
Silliest thing I've seen in this thread and that's saying something. The s has done no favors for Microsoft.

Poltz

Yeah your mask slipped as usual. Also dont forget to pay $30 for your 5 day early access to “day one” titles.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Last edited:

Red-Dead-Ocelot

Gold Member
Being in the US, i don't see the issue here. The title should read obscure countries are raising prices. After all, MS themselves did the whole "tier" thing with XB1.

Ronin_7

Banned

Mate Xbox Series S is selling like shit.

damidu

wow price increases in regions where your console sales are abysmal should do wonders.
4th dimensional chess at work here
nothing new to see

The obvious thing to do here with console hardware price increases is to increase the value by adding in 1 or 2 free digital download codes for exclusive games that wouldn't cost Microsoft anything to do. Sony have at least a few of these but the problem is that Microsoft currently don't so they can't just throw in Halo Infinite and Forza Motorsport 5 for buyers of the Xbox Series X|/S because they will most likely be upgrading from an Xbox One and likely have those games already. Sony at least could add The Last of Us Part 1 (remake) and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart which only run on PS5 so anyone upgrading from a PS4 will not already own those.

mxbison

Natural way of the sub. Price goes up, quality goes down.

Still seems like a good deal with the stuff they've shown recently.

ProtoByte

Very aptly timed right after a well-liked "E3" showcase.

It's pretty obvious to anyone following the streaming services that the business model is not sustainable. Disney lost billions on it last year. Netflix actually had ads in one of their plans which is insane considering tv is literally fucking free and is subsidized by ads.

Good luck to microsoft, but I am just not seeing how they remain profitable at even $11 a month. they will need to double it to $20 and reduce costs at the same time.
It was obvious even before every last remaining distributor in Hollywood threw their hats into the ring. Netflix's financials always looked like they do now. At least, they were always going in that direction.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
In the UK its £2.55 gor 4 cans at Iceland. All I can afford after these price hikes.
Some of Aldi’s own largers are actually decent and pretty reasonably priced (£2.50-£3.50) for a 4 pack. If you fancy something stronger, they start at 4% (y) same for Lidl too, I’ve primarily been drinking Aldi larger over the past 2 years to save money.

RPS37

So right now I get GP for free. I get a bunch of rewards point then
I auto redeem a 10 dollar gift card, then I have Xbox charge me with my wallet.
wtf do i do now? Pay a dollar a dollar a month or manually redeem a month when I can?
*sigh

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Some of Aldi’s own largers are actually decent and pretty reasonably priced (£2.50-£3.50) for a 4 pack. If you fancy something stronger, they start at 4% (y) same for Lidl too, I’ve primarily been drinking Aldi larger over the past 2 years to save money.
I wouldn't actually go anywhere near SKOL, but I do like the Aldi stuff. For me I need hard liquor nowadays. Dark Rum and Coke or something along those lines lol

PeteBull

Hilarious that PC Game Pass didn’t get a price increase. Microsoft love taking the piss out of the Xbox console owners but to be fair they take it.
All 3 console platform holders are companies focused on max profits, sony fellt(knew) they can get away with 60 to 70$ msrp games price hike, so they did it asap.

Ninny had to wait for new zelda to do it but did it neverthless with the game that looks somewhat midrange ps360 console gen and last gen, w/o any remorse.

MS waited till their first actual good next gen game launches and again- fellt they can do it so did it in a heartbeat.

We keep telling ppl those companies arent ur friends, they just wanna provide u with enough incentive so u spend max amount of ur hard earned bucks, sometimes they fail to do that tho, aka imho series s, even at 250$ it wasnt great deal(if it was it would outsell ps5) but now at 350$ its such a terrible dung of a deal its not even funny ;D

demigod

All 3 console platform holders are companies focused on max profits, sony fellt(knew) they can get away with 60 to 70$ msrp games price hike, so they did it asap.

Ninny had to wait for new zelda to do it but did it neverthless with the game that looks somewhat midrange ps360 console gen and last gen, w/o any remorse.

MS waited till their first actual good next gen game launches and again- fellt they can do it so did it in a heartbeat.

We keep telling ppl those companies arent ur friends, they just wanna provide u with enough incentive so u spend max amount of ur hard earned bucks, sometimes they fail to do that tho, aka imho series s, even at 250$ it wasnt great deal(if it was it would outsell ps5) but now at 350$ its such a terrible dung of a deal its not even funny ;D
Redfall good and next gen? What

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Remind me if it's the £250 Series S or the £500 PS5 that's selling the most worldwide? 😄

Ozzie666

Have to pay for Starfield somehow. Without releasing the game on the number one platform as originally expected, it's a lot of money left on the table. I still don't understand how it's profitable. Starfield costs must be through the roof with such a long development cycle. Raising service costs is the first step.

Top Bottom