• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is the marketing partner for Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

vivekTO

Why did Sony uploaded a gameplay video then?

I thought these deals prevented the other from even acknowledging the game.

They(WB) need to eat too you know, they are not gonna hide this game from the playstation userbase, not worth any marketing deal.

Caayn

In my opinion this move, along with others like the Scalebound cancellation and the interest in moving towards this anywhere/cloud platform is a sign of Microsoft starting to lose interest in the console market. I believe this will their last console as we've come to know them and they'll try something different more akin to the Steambox concept. That's all.
You do know what the original goal for Xbox was/is?
Why did Sony uploaded a gameplay video then?

I thought these deals prevented the other from even acknowledging the game.
My guess is that it depends on terms of the deal and when the contract was signed by both parties.

Fliesen

Pardon my ignorance, but ... what does being a "marketing partner" for a game that late in the console life cycle really get each parties? Especially the platform holder.

I get the benefit of being CoDs or Destiny's marketing partner because of timed exclusivity of multiplayer DLC, but also the effect that you're positioning your platform as the ("only") 'place to play' said game.

Will anyone really be swayed into buying an Xbox One because MS is doing the marketing for the game?

I'm happy we're not having some RotTR-esque timed exclusivity shit here, so it's mostly beneficial to consumers - but what does Microsoft get from a deal like that, at this very specific point in time, with this very specific type of game.

The first Mordor game was a fantastic game, a great experience, but also very forgettable in hindsight. :/

Since this is going to be touted as a "best played on Scorpio" title, I'll wait until the new console comes out. It'll be hard not to bite though (game looks incredible), so hopefully it'll be early fall.

Chao

Always found these marketing deals super weird. It's like trying to make it look like it's an exclusive for one of the consoles.

I guess they can fool the casual gamer and make him/her believe they should own a particular machine to be able to play this game, other than that I don't know.

vivekTO

Pardon my ignorance, but ... what does being a "marketing partner" for a game that late in the console life cycle really get each parties? Especially the platform holder.

I get the benefit of being CoDs or Destiny's marketing partner because of timed exclusivity of multiplayer DLC, but also the effect that you're positioning your platform as the ("only") 'place to play' said game.

Will anyone really be swayed into buying an Xbox One because MS is doing the marketing for the game?

I'm happy we're not having some RotTR-esque timed exclusivity shit here, so it's mostly beneficial to consumers - but what does Microsoft get from a deal like that, at this very specific point in time, with this very specific type of game.

The first Mordor game was a fantastic game, a great experience, but also very forgettable in hindsight. :/

One of the factor is holiday bundles, you usually put out a bundle with a game that has the marketing partnership , that's why Microsoft can't bundle RDR2 or DESTINY 2 with the Scorpio, so they need games, exclusive or third party for the bundles. This is what i think in my opinion , maybe it is not that much of a factor in the end.

Always found these marketing deals super weird. It's like trying to make it look like it's an exclusive for one of the consoles.

I guess they can fool the casual gamer and make him/her believe they should own a particular machine to be able to play this game, other than that I don't know.

Worked great for the Destiny bundle for Ps4. Casuals thought it was an exclusive.

Corpekata

Banned
I imagine in this case it's also a win for their UWP platform, perception wise (or at least that's what they are going for). Less (or no) focus on Steam version, it's a big third party title that's doing the Play Anywhere program, so it makes it look like they are committed and getting companies on board.

Fliesen

One of the factor is holiday bundles, you usually put out a bundle with a game that has the marketing partnership , that's why Microsoft can't bundle RDR2 or DESTINY 2 with the Scorpio, so they need games, exclusive or third party for the bundles. This is what i think in my opinion , maybe it is not that much of a factor in the end.

yeah, which is why i added "this specific point in time" / "this specific type of game"

While it's certainly a highly expected title, it's not really part of a Triple A gaming franchise. (it's the sequel to a surprise hit, really). It releases in August, so nowhere near the Holiday season.
It's a single player game, hence early or exclusive access to DLC is more or less irrelevant.

I don't see the value that Microsoft would be getting from that deal.

Worked great for the Destiny bundle for Ps4. Casuals thought it was an exclusive.

Yeah, back then the console market wasn't quite that saturated yet ... I don't think anyone will buy a new console for the next Mordor game, neither will anyone who owns a PS4 not do the minimum of research to realise it's coming for their console, too.

I get these kinds of deals. I just don't get this very specific one.

They(WB) need to eat too you know, they are not gonna hide this game from the playstation userbase, not worth any marketing deal.
Not hide like Sony does, the game was already announced for ps4 and any one excited about the game can look that info up.

But if Sony is directly promoting the game why even make such deal?

Considering Microsoft market position they probably can't be as picky as they want with this and have to settle for marketing deals on less important games.

As for timed exclusivity after Tomb Raider fiasco I doubt any third party would want Microsoft cash unless they are desperate for money to finish product or the amount offered is huge.

MilkyJoe

yeah, which is why i added "this specific point in time" / "this specific type of game"

While it's certainly a highly expected title, it's not really part of a Triple A gaming franchise. (it's the sequel to a surprise hit, really). It releases in August, so nowhere near the Holiday season.
It's a single player game, hence early or exclusive access to DLC is more or less irrelevant.

I don't see the value that Microsoft would be getting from that deal.

All or nothing will be apparent...

Advertising is a funny old world... that most care very little about... Or actively avoid.

RexNovis

Banned
Completely agree. Complain about exclusive DLC but yet praise/fist pump marketing deals that usually lead to the former. Hypocritical.

Fecking mental isn't it.

OléGunner;231751419 said:
It's interesting to discuss from a sales and awareness perspective, but the frothing at the mouth for platform holders to "secure" marketing and be celebrated is very weird.

It's an extra bulletpoint for the list wars that people want to have to defend their favourite billion dollar company with. I don't understand it either.

What's even stranger is that people defend (timed) exclusive content that's often part of the marketing deal. It's like a child saying "Haha I have this and you can't have it, nananana cartman.jpg".

Well it's good to know I'm not the only one at least.

Shadow of war OT - "Fly you fools"

Now see that's brilliant! You single handedly made this flame bait thread worthwhile. Cheers to you!

vivekTO

Not hide like Sony does, the game was already announced for ps4 and any one excited about the game can look that info up.

I know what are you getting at and I agree that this is not much of a great deal. But this is how it is unless Scorpio turns thing around. Sony really has upper hand with the deals, like recently people didn't even know the release date of Nier's steam version. Square itself confirmed it after Japan launch and it did very good sales wise on Ps4.

The publishers just can't ignore the PS4 version it will be too much of a lost sell than any marketing deal. Also Microsoft money is not equals to Xbox money.

Ricky_R

It depends on the deal, but I would imagine that MS gets exclusive rights for TV and possibly other media. Sony is probably only able to upload the trailer to their digital channels. Same way MS uploaded RDR2's trailer on their Youtube channel and Sony seems to have a deal with it.

Either way, MS isn't in the position to dictate these deals right now. They will take whatever they can, even if the deals aren't as attractive as they would want them to be.

amdb00mer

Because PlayStation is king and the king does whatever the fuck he wants lmao.

Uh, yeah. This is allowed. MS uploaded Destiny videos to their youtube channel advertising the game. They just cannot have TV or print advertisements for it.

Well Fifa also

- Madden
- Fifa
- Mordor
- Assassins creed or Far Cry 5( whichever releases this fall)
I would add the new Batman game to that list. I feel like it will be revealed soon and also it's from the same publisher as this game. Wouldnt surprise me.

Im just guessing though.

Is that not available for XB1(S)? Because it is for OG and Pro PS4s.

I'm not meaning this as a ps4 vs xbox thing, just seems like a weird choice as for the one thing that makes it a great system when it's a feature that's becoming the norm.

he was misquoted it was actually "DLC"

Top Bottom