• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q1: 2.4 M 360+XBO shipped

Youch. Maybe it will just be Ninty and Sony by 2017...
igi02gawNS6sS.gif

DieH@rd

Banned
Alright sales-agers, do we have the info to determine the split?

Determining the split will be hard because of the new countries for Xbone. They shipped a lot, and most were the countries where Xbox fans already purchased console from importers. So there will be a lot of shioments, and how knows how much actual sales.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Not bad. One sales will pick up as more games come and the dash/media functionality improves.

Anecdotally, the word of mouth around the Xbox One is pretty good.

danwarb

Difficult to make anything meaninful of that stuff, considering the Xbox family stuff and the launch in 28 markets (i.e. potential channel stuffing going on there).
I'm actually surprised that both MS and Sony get away with this. If I was a stockholder, I'd demand them to actually release meaningful data, not this bullshit.

It is meaningful data. They don't ship them to the moon to their own cost.

tesla246

When you take into account the following points:

-July-Sept. is usually larger sales wise as opposed to Q3 and Q4 of gaming fiscal year.
-It is SHIPPED. Now this is usually ok and that term has been used years by all companies, however, Xone had yet to launch in most of Europe and Japan. The question is how much of the increased 1.3 milion units were Xone units, and how many were used as launch units in previously mentioned countrys? Another question is how did the EU launch go? If they for example devoted 500000 units, how many were sold and how many ar still sitting on the shelf? Personnaly havent heard anyone ever mention xone in my direct surroundings.
-they now mention total hardware numbers, which smells to ''cover up your ars'', like sony did at PS3 launch, and Nintendo did with wii+wiiU.

this might be dissapointing for MS.

Miles X

I don't think those are good numbers when you are supplying a launch in 28 new markets.

28 markets that were talked down for months about not doing anything for XB1? Why are they so lucrative for the console all of a sudden?

1.7 - 1.9m XB1 would be a pretty good figure IMO, given the past 9 months.

Guevara

I find these results underwhelming, not great not terrible. They would be 'pretty good' if it weren't for all the launches that took place in this period.

jedimike

Look above this post.

I didn't get it. 1.2M for the qtr that the XB1 didn't exist is a given. Your logic after that confused me... 700k-900k for the year would give the 360 2M of the total 14.1M in sales. Which would put the XB1 at ~12M.

If you give the XB1 an 80/20 split, your looking at 9-10M for the XB1 and 4-5 M for the 360.

Guymelef

28 markets that were talked down for months about not doing anything for XB1? Why are they so lucrative for the console all of a sudden?

28 markets that are nothing for MS but Media Markts are full of boxes.

allan-bh

I'm actually surprised that both MS and Sony get away with this. If I was a stockholder, I'd demand them to actually release meaningful data, not this bullshit.

Microsoft shareholders doesn't care about Xbox. On investors call they never ask anything about Xbox.

Xando

28 new markets still means retailer will buy it at launch to see if there is demand.

Miles X

I didn't get it. 1.2M for the qtr that the XB1 didn't exist is a given. Your logic after that confused me... 700k-900k for the year would give the 360 2M of the total 14.1M in sales. Which would put the XB1 at ~12M.

If you give the XB1 an 80/20 split, your looking at 9-10M for the XB1 and 4-5 M for the 360.

Um, we knew the splits for 360 and XB1 up until march, so don't worry looking at the data that far back.

Q4 last year XB1 did 3.9m, Q1 this year it did 1.1m (bringing total to 5, end of March).

Then Q2 360 + XB1 did 1.1m combined (as I have said I assume this is around 50/50 given last years 360 numbers and the drop it experienced YOY the previous Q, feel free to argue this tho) so 550k. 5.55m

Then this Q. 2.4m. 360 did 1.2m last year. I mean even if 360 was flat (it most certainly wasn't) that is still 1.2m for XB1, so 6.75m.

Likelyhood is 360 dropped 50% yoy and XB1 shipped 1.8m~ so around 7.4m~

jedimike

Um, we knew the splits for 360 and XB1 up until march, so don't worry looking at the data that far back.

Q4 last year XB1 did 3.9m, Q1 this year it did 1.1m (bringing total to 5, end of March).

Then Q2 360 + XB1 did 1.1m combined (as I have said I assume this is around 50/50 given last years 360 numbers and the drop it experienced YOY the previous Q, feel free to argue this tho) so 550k. 5.55m

Then this Q. 2.4m. 360 did 1.2m last year. I mean even if 360 was flat (it most certainly wasn't) that is still 1.2m for XB1, so 6.75m.

Ok, I can follow that. Thanks. I don't completely agree since I expect 360 sales to be slowing down faster.. But I see your logic.

Real curious how the XB1 is actually selling.

Do we at least know NPD numbers for the months in that quarter and could make extrapolate... something?

Off the top of my head I would guess it was around 600k for those months in the US.

This seems like a reasonable and logical prediction based on the data.

PS4 is obviously doing better, but as long as the XB1 has decent performance throughout the generation, I'll be content (because the games will keep coming). As a consumer, that's all I care about. I think it's a good sign for the industry that the PS4 and XB1 are doing well so far. I think a lot of people were predicting things would be a lot worse at this point last year.

Miles X

Ok, I can follow that. Thanks. I don't completely agree since I expect 360 sales to be slowing down... not staying even or increasing. But I see your logic.

My calculations don't include 360 staying even or increasing ...

Q2 (the combined 1.1m) I have 360 down 450k yoy (45%) and this Q I assume something similar (600k, down 600k yoy (50%).

We know Q1 earlier this year 360 did 800k, down 500k from 1.3m YOY. So I'm drawing from that.

bombshell

So they've shipped 3.5M 360+Bones in 6 months, while Sony continues on a 1M+ average sold PS4s per month?

Wow, not looking good WW for MS.

Anth0ny

Wii U is sitting at 6.68 million shipped as of June 30 2014.

Xbone will definitely pass it by the end of the year.

Zones

No, I'm not dumb. I just want to know where he got that 24 billion figure from, I'm always interested in reading stuff like this.
He probably thinks the reported revenue is the money they made.

Even then it would be $23.2 billion, and not $24 billion.

Top Bottom