• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Ranked #2 on Top 25 Game Companies By Game Revenue

EGM1966

Assuming the estimates are correct this indicates the benefits of being on more platforms for MS IMHO. If they just had Xbox for gaming they'd have to be below Sony so this shows impact of PC, Mincraft and multi platform revenue.

I increasingly feel focusing on Xbox at expense and f other platforms and the whole "battle for the living room" was with hindsight a mistake that cumulated with XB1 launch.

No harm having their own hardware too of course but it should just be one option for the software not the only one.

Will be interesting to see if they continue to evolve towards software/services everywhere and their own hardware as just another option. They should do.

Of course revenues all very well but this list would be hugely more interesting with estimates of costs and profit. Maybe next time.

Alo0oy

Banned
Assuming the estimates are correct this indicates the benefits of being on more platforms for MS IMHO. If they just had Xbox for gaming they'd have to be below Sony so this shows impact of PC, Mincraft and multi platform revenue.

I increasingly feel focusing on Xbox at expense and f other platforms and the whole "battle for the living room" was with hindsight a mistake that cumulated with XB1 launch.

No harm having their own hardware too of course but it should just be one option for the software not the only one.

Will be interesting to see if they continue to evolve towards software/services everywhere and their own hardware as just another option. They should do.

Of course revenues all very well but this list would be hugely more interesting with estimates of costs and profit. Maybe next time.

Actually, Minecraft is the only source of software revenue that doesn't come from Xbox, everything else is minimal.

leeh

Must be due to all those halo digital sales
Ha. Beat me to it.

Like everyone else, presuming this mostly due to the weight of Minecraft?

The Windows store/WP, I can't imagine drawing anywhere as much revenue as Xbox would as a whole.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Well, Phil did say they expect to have recouped the 2 billion for Minecraft within two years, so yeah, Minecraft is making them a lot of money.

I see.

Well, what else does Microsoft have that is game-only? Windows game apps? I think this is mostly Xbox related, and Minecraft, I overlooked that.
Xbox live revenue. But if that is taken into account I think they would be higher? A few years back ms said it was already a 1bln dollar business per year.

Xbox live revenue. But if that is taken into account I think they would be higher? A few years back ms said it was already a 1bln dollar business per year.

XBL and PSN revenues are included

"Microsoft and Sony estimates represent all Xbox and Playstation non-hardware platform revenues (including Xbox Live and PSN revenues respectively)."

This confuses me since I'm not a business owner or a banker.

Can something be called revenue even if the revenue that you just made doesn't cover for the cost of making said revenue?

Because last time I checked Microsoft hasn't made a dime on the Xbox division since they created the division and brand/games.

You are thinking of profit. Revenue is money coming in from the services, has nothing to do with costs. I dont think your last statement is correct btw.

None of those games are relevant except for Minecraft, Gears, & Halo. Xbox Live is not considered software, Havoc isn't owned by the gaming division (& any revenue from it - while significant - isn't enough to change anything), Forza isn't a big seller.

Most of that revenue is from Minecraft & Royalties from third party games.

Forza is a big seller though, and KI and Ori i know were very successful. THird party of course is a very big deal but considering third parties are selling better on PS4 that means Xbox must be doing well with their first/second parties. Id hardly say they aren't relevant at all.

As for XBL, that would be software but may not be included here, don't know.

Syntsui

That's what happens when you have so many successful first party franchises. Gears + Forza + Halo together must sell much better than all Sony IPs together. To balance this, Sony sells much more third party games, that's why the disparity isn't that big.

Bishop89

That's what happens when you have so many successful first party franchises. Gears + Forza + Halo together must sell much better than all Sony IPs together. To balance this, Sony sells much more third party games, that's why the disparity isn't that big.

sgMPYGM.gif

leeh

giphy.gif

Alo0oy

Banned

GT5 sold better than Halo 4 + Gears Judgment + Forza 4 combined.

Syntsui

GT5 sold better than Halo 4 + Gears Judgment + Forza 4 combined.

You guys are reading too much into my comment, I didn't say that to troll.

Gran Turismo 5 didn't sell more than Halo 4 + Gears Judgment + Forza 4 combined in 2015 or even 2014. It was released in 2010 and we don't have data from that year in this site, we do know that Sony was above Microsoft in 2011 and 2012, so yeah there's that.

King from 3 to 10... (just for the easy useless Activision trolling).

And first, revenue is just a bad metrics. A lot of these companies have very different structures and some have very different business models so yeah... second some are estimates :/

And third but the most important part imo, Newzoo is not something I would list as a professional sourcing for these types of information so fun to read but that's about it.

Top Bottom