• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Toki767

Sweet Billy is a highly regarded game developer. That man is brimming with talent. Just ask Jaffe. He's good! Go ahead and fire him, this cat is mobile, always lands on his feet.

I don't know how mobile he'll be when companies see that he can't keep a secret or his mouth shut.

Acheteedo

I'm not bothered by an always online console, that will rarely (if ever) effect me, what does bother me is the approach/attitude that MS appears to be taking with next gen, especially in comparison to Sony's pro-consumer, pro-developer approach. And that's the major problem for Microsoft, they're not in an Apple like bubble where their product is so shit hot that they can do what they want, they have a very competitive competitor! They'd better have something major up their sleeve if they don't want to suffer the third console curse.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Maybe reddit poster is just an old gaffer? Certainly possible.

Anyway, the most interesting thing about that post is how this is history repeating itself. Guy getting burned by social media and reflecting poorly on his company. Didn't learn his lesson.

tearsofash

I know it's just twitter, but terrible argument structure really pisses me off. Learning this shit makes it hard to read the Internet sometimes.

MS can make a decent case for online-only, but this guy shouldn't be doing it.

kami_sama

I can't read it, what does it say? I opened the link, but the page is just blank. Fuck I need to go to bed.
wow. #312
hey everyone...adam orth here.

a couple of things:

i was surprised at how dave presented our conversation on his blog today. yes, i agreed to it, but i didn't realize he was going to present it as "look what he said" and include a photoshopped image. i simply thought it was going to be an interesting look at one of the many discussions we have daily about games and design etc. i've spoken with dave about this and we're on the same page with me being unhappy about it, but that's life. dave is a public guy and i'm not. i didn't fully understand the ramifications of what him posting our innocent conversation would have. lesson learned.

i stand by my opinion of the commercial. i felt it was disrespectful and i don't need to justify that to OR for anyone. it's just an opinion. i don't really understand why it matters to anyone, but if it does, that's your prerogative. enjoy!

i'm not a fan of the halo series either. it's just not my thing. if it's your thing? great. enjoy!

i'm proud of the work i've done on all the games i've made and am making. some were great, some were not. i think alot of people who post here don't actually make games and those are the people who think that 1 or 2 people are responsible for the outcome of the final product. obviously that isn't true. so to pinpoint me for not making "great games" like halo and not being allowed to have an opinion about games until i make the next halo doesn't make much sense. if you want to believe that? enjoy!

to the people who don't like medal of honor. great. don't play it. i used to make those games and i loved doing it. are they the best games ever? no, but it was a great, great experience that millions of people around the world loved and continue to love. i don't work there anymore, but i support my friends efforts and always look forward to their next effort.

i work for sony. i regret getting involved in this situation with david and i'd hate to have our IM conversation reflect badly on sony as a company. that's the thing that bothers me the most, because it has nothing to do with them. i made a mistake and even though i stand by my opinions 100%, i'm a little embarrassed about this.

at the end of the day, we're talking about VIDEO GAMES. everyone needs to remember that. we aren't changing the world....it's just entertainment and today i learned a lesson about that that i wont forget. in the big picture, none of this is really that important.

finally, i'm totally open to having halo 3 blow me away.

thanks for listening and if anyone wishes to contact me further, you may do so at sweetbilly_@hotmail.com.

- adam.
Here you have.

MormaPope

Banned

1358497_o.gif

DetectiveGAF at its best.

Edit: For those who lost it two pages ago:

WgVHms8.jpg

Sometimes this place scares me.... :D

I wouldn't buy a MS-Console anyway, but if Sony or Nintendo would pull off this shit, I wouldn't buy their consoles either.

If you do, you are part of the problem, in my opinion.

pelican

Personally I don't care about the always on aspect of the console.

I've had broadband for well over a decade and I can count the number of times I have experienced downtime on one hand. It is fairly simple to shop around and get a good fast internet (24m+) deal with no throttling or bandwidth caps.

Now I do appreciate that some areas are less fortunate, but overall progression shouldn't be held back due to the minority. Perhaps this is slightly selfish.

M3d10n

If an internet connection is required, even for single player games, it means there is a good reason for that: NO USED/BORROWED/RENTED GAMES, because the discs are only there to skip the download time and the actual game license is a code/watermark/rfid that gets registered to your LIve account when you firt put the disc in.

Oh, this will generate SO much confusion it will be fun (in a sad way) to watch.

rdrr gnr

My 2 cents about the whole issue:
Personally, I don't care about the always-online constraint as it is assumed that MS will have their shit together. It's a bad thing for offline-people for sure, but this is not to my concern.
Just remember the first time, when you had to activate a game on steam, which was/is also only possible, if you're connected. I remember the hate towards Valve when HL2 released. This issues and arguments here are basically the same. (Ok, it's worse because of the allgeded 3-minute timer)

I hope I'm not too naive with my opinion and MS delivers some good games.
Except Steam and console box are not the same. And it not being your concern is also a useless, trite point to make. Congrats.

And it's not the naivete that undermines your position.

Troll

Banned
I'm so fucking happy that I'm a part of this in real time. This thread is going to be a part of GAF lore for a long time. Pull up a chair, let's see what else happens.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

I've had broadband for well over a decade and I can count the number of times I have experienced downtime on one hand. It is fairly simple to shop around and get a good internet deal with no throttling or bandwidth caps.

Now I do appreciate that some areas are less fortunate, but overall progression shouldn't be held back due to the minority. Perhaps this is slightly selfish.

There is literally NO PROGRESSION.

Supporters have been asked to provide even a single example of how this benefits the consumer... we're still waiting.

Alcander

Well, assuming that Reddit post is true, it's kind of his fault that he refuses to learn from his mistakes.

And not only that, but at this point the ship has sailed. This has snowballed way to much into a frenzy. It's being picked up by everyone. He has no one to blame but himself.

Sure, its his own fault for getting himself into this mess. My only point is the mob mentality asking for his head on a stick (and by extension his family's livelihood) is rather sickening -- especially when there is a good amount of glee behind it. I don't dispute that its a PR disaster in the making though.

I've had broadband for well over a decade and I can count the number of times I have experienced downtime on one hand. It is fairly simple to shop around and get a good fast internet (24m+) deal with no throttling or bandwidth caps.

Now count the number of times a service/web site has been down due to maintenance or traffic overload.

MS still needs to maintain their side for if to work.

ekim

Except Steam and console box are not the same. And it not being your concern is also a useless, trite point to make. Congrats.

And it's not the naivete that undermines your position.

I did just relate to the arguments where people actually care about the people, that are not being able to get the box running because of a non existing Internet connection.

blackflag

Sure, its his own fault for getting himself into this mess. My only point is the mob mentality asking for his head on a stick (and by extension his family's livelihood) is rather sickening -- especially when there is a good amount of glee behind it. I don't dispute that its a PR disaster in the making though.

I haven't seen hardly anyone wishing for him to be fired. Most are saying he will be, or he probably will be...because he will be. Doesn't mean I'm cheering for it to happen. I'm sure it wasn't his decision to go always online. Whomever made that decision is the person I wish would get fired.

Yagharek

All I would suggest here is this: don't shoot the messenger. The real fuckup is Microsoft for thinking they should do this. The guy on twitter was a bit condescending about it for sure, but the real mistake is Microsoft for doing it.

Top Bottom