• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

2018 going to be a de facto ok year because by sheer dumb luck or just poor planning they moved so many games into 2018 it ended up being spread moderately ok
Like, makes me wonder if anything that was originally scheduled for 2018 a year or two ago is getting pushed out too, or if there will be more unannounced games releasing next year. I doubt it, but just amazing to see how weird this is for someone only 4 years into a new console

Sucks but a perfect storm of bad things happened. Fable legends didn't work out and was cancelled. Scalebound was cancelled(although that probably would've been delayed as well). Press play was closed and their 2 games (the dwarves and BR game) aren't exclusive anymore

Bad things being decisions Microsoft willingly took?

Fable Legends was their fault for greenlighting it then shutting down the studio.

Like, makes me wonder if anything that was originally scheduled for 2018 a year or two ago is getting pushed out too, or if there will be more unannounced games releasing next year. I doubt it, but just amazing to see how weird this is for someone only 4 years into a new console

Outside of ori 2, halo 6 and forza Horizon 4 are we sure they even had anything else planned for 2018? I suspect not personally

I really find hard to believe that MS didn't really anticipate in 2015 that they had nothing by this year. 2015 and 2016 E3s has been basically barren, it's imposible that they didn't saw it.

Outside of ori 2, halo 6 and forza Horizon 4 are we sure they even had anything else planned for 2018? I suspect not personally

With the way 343i is talking, Halo 6 may not be a 2018 game. Personally, I think their 2018 line up will be:

Spring: Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves
Summer: Ori
Fall: Forza Horizon 4, State of Decay 2

Chris1

With the way 343i is talking, Halo 6 may not be a 2018 game. Personally, I think their 2018 line up will be:

Nah Halo will come out next year cause if that gets delayed then Gears 5 will have to get delayed aswell. It's a snowball effect they won't wanna get into.

blakep267

Fable Legends was their fault for greenlighting it then shutting down the studio.

I mean You don't go into development expecting games to suck or look bad. Fable Legends and Scalebound could've been great games. But in actuality that didn't seem to be the case

I mean You don't go into development expecting games to suck or look bad. Fable Legends and Scalebound could've been great games. But in actuality that didn't seem to be the case

Fable Legends should never have been green lit. Microsoft's shoddy organisation at this point is clearly a rather large problem

Nah Halo will come out next year cause if that gets delayed then Gears 5 will have to get delayed aswell. It's a snowball effect they won't wanna get into.

Yeah but the way 343 spoke about there being no Halo 6 news for a while to come almost sounds like it won't be a title for next year. But I doubt that though.

Fable legends was lit most likely by phil Harrison

Whatever the fuck is going on at MS now, I hope they can pick themselves up in this regard and improve, drastically improve. They are doing so well in all the other things for Xbox but the gaming studios? No. Really don't want to see them go. Of course such a thing doesn't happen overnight but fuck man.

Halo 6 ain't getting delayed. It will be announced for spring 2019 from the get go.

But what will be their big holiday 2018 game then? Forza Horizon 4?

State of Decay was listed as Spring at E3, although obviously that could change.

Agreed there won't be a Halo 6 in 2018.

likely they will rush Halo to have something for next year.
Prepare for Halo 5 part 2

They don't need to rush shit for next year because their entire 2017 lineup has already slipped into 2018. They could delay Ori, Forza Horizon 4 and Halo 6 and their 2018 lineup would still be better than their 2017 lineup.

Phil was head of studios, did he have no say? Then 6 months after it was announced he took over the division and carried on pushing it for 2 years, he had ample time to make a different decision
Iirc wasn't phil head of nam and Harrison in charge of emea when it was greenlit (assumingly 2011). Was phil supposed to can the game with work done on it? I'm confused what you wanted him to do. Imagine telling your teams hey this ideal now suck years after let's now can this

Phil was head of studios, did he have no say? Then 6 months after it was announced he took over the division and carried on pushing it for 2 years, he had ample time to make a different decision
Also, Fable Legends started as a side project of Lionhead, when Spencer took the lead, it wanted it to be a AAA free to play game and that is what most likely killed the game as it became too expensive to produce.

I'm not even certain Halo 6 is next year, I don't see them announcing and releasing it 4 months apart?

Also wouldn't be surprised if Ori wasn't a Q1 2019 title?

Well mattrick was the one who consolidated the studios and set them on the path of each studio being a factory and reliance on the Kinect. Granted Phil continues this but it didn't happen just now

Yes, but people thought Phil taking over would signal a full new era for Xbox. But he was Don's right-hand man. We should never have expected anything but more of the same.

Then again, I don't know how much they are too blame, and how much is on reduced budgets from the corporate overlords. If Xbox indeed has never made a profit, putting the squeeze on the division makes sense from corporate's perspective

Iirc wasn't phil head of nam and Harrison in charge of emea when it was greenlit (assumingly 2011). Was phil supposed to can the game with work done on it? I'm confused what you wanted him to do. Imagine telling your teams hey this ideal now suck years after let's now can this

Probably preferable to putting everyone at the studio out of a job? Maybe they could've been put on a project that people want to play and buy

Also, Fable Legends started as a side project of Lionhead, when Spencer took the lead, it wanted it to be a AAA free to play game and that is what most likely killed the game as it became too expensive to produce.

Just makes it worse tbh

blakep267

Yes, but people thought Phil taking over would signal a full new era for MS. But he was Don's right-hand man. We should never have expected anything but more of the same.

Then again, I don't know how much they are too blame, and how much is on reduced budgets from the corporate overlords. If Xbox indeed has never made a profit, putting the squeeze on the division makes sense from corporate's perspective
Well don was Phils boss just like Phil is shannons boss. I can't put blame on her, the blame goes to the person in charge. The budget stuff likely would affect future non halo or Forza games

Chris1

Quoting from the CD cancellation thread

DVABWO0.png

Yikes... Alanah isn't usually the type of person to be so negative about games is she? From the little of what I know of her she generally tries to stay positive

They don't need to rush shit for next year because their entire 2017 lineup has already slipped into 2018. They could delay Ori, Forza Horizon 4 and Halo 6 and their 2018 lineup would still be better than their 2017 lineup.
To be honest, you don't need much to have a better lineup than 2017. I don't think they will be willing to repeat the plate next year without a big title to show.

You know, back in 2016 I thought 2017 would rock with Scalebound, State of Decay 2, Halo Wars, Sea of Thieves and Crackdown. It's really sad how it turned out.

Probably preferable to putting everyone at the studio out of a job? Maybe they could've been put on a project that people want to play and buy

Just makes it worse tbh
Maybe the idea sounded good on paper until they realized they'd never make enough off of it to justify. Idk it's tough dictating what you want a team to do. The actual issue is that they should have been on fable 4 or something completely new not ftp

Quoting from the CD cancellation thread

Yikes... Alanah isn't usually the type of person to be so negative about games is she? From the little of what I know of her she generally tries to stay positive
Alanah openly talked about the state of Andromeda before release but she thought it would be fixed.

Also, you don't need insider information to see that the game is not doing well. They basically had a toybox as E3 demo. Let's see how the MP demo does at Gamescon, if it doesn't delivers, they game will likely be cancelled.

Maybe the idea sounded good on paper until they realized they'd never make enough off of it to justify. Idk it's tough dictating what you want a team to do. The actual issue is that they should have been on fable 4 or something completely new not ftp

Well their fable 4 pitch at least sounded much better than what they did on FL 🤷*♂️

JlNX

Do you have any evidence of this or is this post just like the rest you have made, reactive and hyperbolic.

Well correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't part of the reason Lionhead was closed down was the studio itself, the fact they blew well past multiple schedules and we have heard of members of their staff not even working on the game but instead working side projects like fortune. The studio probably would have been closed anyway, each Fable got worse and they have shown they couldn't keep production times and as a studio their work ethic wasn't great. This was admitted as much in Kotaku's piece on Lionhead and former staff who agreed with the studio being closed, plus they lost a lot of their team they were a husk.

just makes it worse tbh

Are we really going to entertain posters willing things into fact because they feel the need to be reactive.

Chris1

^^ Nah the other thread will probably get all the comments though
Alanah openly talked about the state of Andromeda before release but she thought it would be fixed.

Also, you don't need insider information to see that the game is not doing well. They basically had a toybox as E3 demo. Let's see how the MP demo does at Gamescon, if it doesn't delivers, they game will likely be cancelled.
Yeah.. here she's suggesting it may get cancelled. Big difference in tone. There is no way they will actually cancel it after all the Scalebound and FL backlash, but the fact she's suggesting it as a posibility says a lot about the game's state

Judging by Phil's comments on the other page the MP won't be at Gamescom, which shouldn't really surprise anyone to be honest

Do you have any evidence of this or is this post just like the rest you have made, reactive and hyperbolic

Are we really going to entertain posters willing things into fact because they feel the need to be reactive.

Tbh I can hardly keep up with it all these days so I don't know what started as x and morphed in y, whatever the story was for Lionhead and fable Legends, the same result will be me shaking my head

JlNX

Tbh I can hardly keep up with it all these days so I don't know what started as x and morphed in y, whatever the story was for Lionhead and fable Legends, the same result will be me shaking my head

Obviously I agree, but faux outrage muddles the conversation best to keep that in the other thread.

wapplew

Game got delay, not cancelled. Why people start the blaming game?
If anything, Phil and team deserved praise for this decision. They are not rushing the game out and send it to die, which is what you ask for years.
It mean they willing to invest more money into the project and have faith for Crackdown 3, they want to do it right.

They basically forced the studio to make it too, Lionhead wanted to make another single player RPG, which is what they were good at. They really should've let them, considering that those titles have done well this generation. Instead they force them to make an expensive F2P multiplayer game, then shut it down just before release, wasting tons of money and a talented studio with background in a genre they are now sorely lacking...so stupid.

Sony is guilty of this too, pursuing F2P with Sony San Diego and releasing their f2p games without so much as a wet fart, then promptly shutting them down and laying off those teams, but at least the studio is intact, and it's not as if Sony is hurting for talented studios, unlike Microsoft.

The issue with lionhead goes back well beyond phil, it goes back to arguably the kinect era where they started bleeding talent. MS should have been building for the future in 2010 instead they were sustaining. This is the result

I can't believe people are saying Phil Spencer isn't at fault.

He was head of studios before this. Since he took over from Shane Kim in 2009 the quality of games has gone down.

He's improved it from the console side. But I refuse to believe MS corporates are letting them release a upgraded console but not new games.

Phil Spencer has been in charge of games since 2009. How many good first party games have we had since then? I mean Halo Reach was getting made at the time so it's not that. He's killed the Fable franchise. Made Forza into a yearly thing and killed PGR. No major games from Japan released. Halo and Gears are a shadow of what they used to be.

This is all his responsibility. He was head of games before he was head of Xbox. Since Shane Kim has retired the game quality has gone downhill.

gamz

Game got delay, not cancelled. Why people start the blaming game?
If anything, Phil and team deserved praise for this decision. They are not rushing the game out and send it to die, which is what you ask for years.
It mean they willing to invest more money into the project and have faith for Crackdown 3, they want to do it right.
It's for the best. With PUGB and everything else this Holiday it would've gotten slaughtered. Gives them more time to polish and a good release date.

I can't believe people are saying Phil Spencer isn't at fault.

He was head of studios before this. Since he took over from Shane Kim in 2009 the quality of games has gone down.

He's improved it from the console side. But I refuse to believe MS corporates are letting them release a upgraded console but not new games.

Phil Spencer has been in charge of games since 2009. How many good first party games have we had since then? I mean Halo Reach was getting made at the time so it's not that. He's killed the Fable franchise. Made Forza into a yearly thing and killed PGR. No major games from Japan released. Halo and Gears are a shadow of what they used to be.

This is all his responsibility. He was head of games before he was head of Xbox. Since Shane Kim has retired the game quality has gone downhill.
MS isn't and wasn't ran like you think it is. For example not just shannon loftis reports to phil like many seem to think. Many studios have direct reporting studio heads that report to phil. Loftis deals mostly with 3rd party deals. Don was the boss you should be blaming his vision.

Top Bottom