• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

element

The smarter move would be for any of the big publishers to counter-offer Brendan Greene a creative/game director offer at any AAA studio and ask him to basically make the "DOTA2" of Battle Royale games.
That wouldn't make financial sense either for MS or Brendan. MS would have to fund a game and would probably overspend while I'm sure Brendan is set for life at this point as PUBG has crossed $200m and I'm sure his deal gets him a healthy portion of that.

Kaji AF16

Gravity Rush 2
Horizon Zero Dawn
Wipeout Omega Collection
Parappa HD
Matterfall
Everybody's Golf
GT Sport
Uncharted: TLL
Knack 2
Starblood Arena
Locoroco and Patapon I think? (not really paid attention to these two)
Nioh sort of counts (published by Sony outside of Japan, but not first-party)

Probably some other games I've forgotten. This is not an exhaustive list.

I, and a vast majority of those with whom I still play on the Xbox ecosystem, would rather play Halo Wars 2 or Forza Motorsport 7 than all of those Sony exclusives together. A Playstation exclusive gets delayed, and it begins to transform into an urban myth that makes journalists jump over their chairs when it resurfaces. An Xbox exclusive
(which was looking very rough)
gets delayed, and the world is set on fire even for those who were not originally interested.

That said, the first party situation is unarguably critical for Microsoft. I just hope this doesn´t become another Windows Phone, end-of-ecosystem situation.

I, and a vast majority of those with whom I still play on the Xbox ecosystem, would rather play Halo Wars 2 or Forza Motorsport 7 than all of those Sony exclusives together. A Playstation exclusive gets delayed, and it begins to transform into an urban myth that makes journalists jump over their chairs when it resurfaces. An Xbox exclusive
gets delayed, and the world is set on fire even for those who were not originally interested.

That said, the first party situation is unarguably critical for Microsoft. I just hope this doesn´t become another Windows Phone, end-of-ecosystem situation.
That wasn't the point of that list. It was to show that Sony and MS' output was not on par this year.

sam12

It's funny though that Sony bounced back with stronger exclusives when they were in the shithole, yet with Xbox they keep digging that hole deeper and deeper. The most untrustworthy executives. And some people still wonder why Xbox gets such negative reactions

peppers

Lol MS isn't going anywhere. There's still a lot of money to be made from XBL Gold, Minecraft and their core franchises. Halo 5, Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3 all made an incredible amount of money. Stop with that bs, it's embarrassing at this point and this thread is no place for it.

blakep267

Criticism is not all bad when you want the brand you like best to succeed, but instead it grows dismal every year.
But that's not what the thread is for. It's for discussing games and partnerships. You can discuss crackdowns delay but bringing in. Sony games makes zero sense as it doesn't have anything to do with the thread. If you want to compare the catalogues we have threads every other week about the "dismal" state of the Xbox

Sentryxj

Neo Member
We haven’t done our jobs as owners and fans of XBOX. Every day I have read this thread hoping that we as fans of Xbox can find common ground, but I see that we will not be able to reach that. Most people in this thread believe full heartedly that Microsoft is in a good place I’m here to tell everyone that they not. Multiple canceled games, reports of higher up meddling in the Xbox business, closing studios, Not green light sequels to good games. You would all tell me it’s fine it's’ fucking not I love my xbone and the fact that Microsoft has failed to make new IPs and games worth buying is on them. Phil Spencer has been in that company for years as the head of first party studios and now the head of Xbox. He has done nothing to help the situation only make it worse. Everyone defending him you’re part of the problem. You hold none of them responsible when they should have their asses held to the fire every fucking day. I don’t care for lip service or this bullshit that they keep spouting with the X1X. Hardware doesn’t get me software does and they sadly have no compelling offers. This was the year where I would decide to either keep my Xbox one or sell it and it looks like I’m done. So too all of you who were arguing resolution instead of games and power instead of games you got your wish however you killed Xbox with it.

Keinning

Don't let the door hit you on your way out. You shouldn't even be here if you're not interested about anything they're doing anyway, this is a thread to discuss their current lineup & possibilities, there are several others for you to vent how much you hate Phil Spencer (i recommend the crackdown delay one, looks right up your alley).

You can have legitimate criticisms about a brand and a product without acting like an angry baboon or starting witch hunts. We were discussing just that actually, before people started dropping by to leave the usual "xboxdoomed lol" driveposts.

Even if they wanted to, I doubt they could outbid Tencent who have also made investments in the studio recently.

Gravity Rush 2
Horizon Zero Dawn
Wipeout Omega Collection
Parappa HD
Matterfall
Everybody's Golf
GT Sport
Uncharted: TLL
Knack 2
Starblood Arena
Locoroco and Patapon I think? (not really paid attention to these two)
Nioh sort of counts (published by Sony outside of Japan, but not first-party)

Probably some other games I've forgotten. This is not an exhaustive list.
Damn didn't realize this was a PlayStation studios thread

But that's not what the thread is for. It's for discussing games and partnerships. You can discuss crackdowns delay but bringing in. Sony games makes zero sense as it doesn't have anything to do with the thread. If you want to compare the catalogues we have threads every other week about the "dismal" state of the Xbox

Criticise JINX for making the completely ridiculous comparison in the first place then, not the list that easily disproves it. All the responses prove is that this thread isn't a bubble where bullshit like that can go unchecked and that's a good thing.

Sentryxj

Neo Member
Not a driveby post but hey if that the way you feel about my post then okay, but I feel like I bought up valid points that needed to be addressed

blakep267

Criticise JINX for making the completely ridiculous comparison in the first place then, not the list that easily disproves it. All the responses prove is that this thread isn't a bubble where bullshit like that can go unchecked and that's a good thing.
You do know that you can ignore stupid posts and not detail threads. It's not a thing where it will dishonor your family if you ignore dumb stuff

Im not replying to the guy above who wrote multiple paragraphs about how garbage spencer is because the threads gonna get derailed

Keinning

Don't let the door hit you on your way out. You shouldn't even be here if you're not interested about anything they're doing anyway, this is a thread to discuss their current lineup & possibilities, there are several others for you to vent how much you hate Phil Spencer (i recommend the crackdown delay one, looks right up your alley).

You can have legitimate criticisms about a brand and a product without acting like an angry baboon or starting witch hunts. We were discussing just that actually, before people started dropping by to leave the usual "xboxdoomed lol" driveposts.

Not a driveby post but hey if that the way you feel about my post then okay, but I feel like I bought up valid points that needed to be addressed

Wasn't mentioning anyone in particular, it's just a thing that tends to happen every time something negative pops up. Gets real tiring after a while.

It's understandable to be concerned about the current situation of a platform you own, i'm concerned as well. But there are already many other threads to complain about spencer and how dire xbox future is compared to playstation/switch (and this is no exaggeration, we had four "concerned" threads about xbox future just this week), let's try and keep this one a bit more civil and reasonable.

Vinc

Lol MS isn't going anywhere. There's still a lot of money to be made from XBL Gold, Minecraft and their core franchises. Halo 5, Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3 all made an incredible amount of money. Stop with that bs, it's embarrassing at this point and this thread is no place for it.

Shinobi said Gears 4 wasn't profitable on this site...

And yes, they still have profitable ventures in the business, but if the overall business is eating away at these profits, we can expect their business to further contract, no?

wapplew

We haven’t done our jobs as owners and fans of XBOX. Every day I have read this thread hoping that we as fans of Xbox can find common ground, but I see that we will not be able to reach that. Most people in this thread believe full heartedly that Microsoft is in a good place I’m here to tell everyone that they not. Multiple canceled games, reports of higher up meddling in the Xbox business, closing studios, Not green light sequels to good games. You would all tell me it’s fine it's’ fucking not I love my xbone and the fact that Microsoft has failed to make new IPs and games worth buying is on them. Phil Spencer has been in that company for years as the head of first party studios and now the head of Xbox. He has done nothing to help the situation only make it worse. Everyone defending him you’re part of the problem. You hold none of them responsible when they should have their asses held to the fire every fucking day. I don’t care for lip service or this bullshit that they keep spouting with the X1X. Hardware doesn’t get me software does and they sadly have no compelling offers. This was the year where I would decide to either keep my Xbox one or sell it and it looks like I’m done. So too all of you who were arguing resolution instead of games and power instead of games you got your wish however you killed Xbox with it.

What can you do? It's not like Phil Spencer really is a politician, you can vote him out of office if he's bad at his job.
Nothing you can do but hope he deliver his promises.

Theorry

And yes, they still have profitable ventures in the business, but if the overall business is eating away at these profits, we can expect their business to further contract, no?

Shinobi still posts here?

Goalus

When did he say this?
It would be a strange thing to say even now.

Sentryxj

Neo Member
What can you do? It's not like Phil Spencer really is a politician, you can vote him out of office if he's bad at his job.
Nothing you can do but hoping he deliver his promises.

Promises that he broke long ago. All I want is for Microsoft to finally take that next step

AAMARMO

Banned
Ah oke. But that has been a while ago then? And Gears is still selling and making money and yesterday we found out that 6.7m players played it.

Doesn't mean anything for sales wise. They could have got these players in Free Weekends or Gamepass.

Vinc

Ah oke. But that has been a while ago then? And Gears is still selling and making money and yesterday we found out that 6.7m players played it.

When did he say this?
It would be a strange thing to say even now.

That was what 6 months ago?

Here's the quote. Maybe it broke even since, I don't know. Doesn't sound like it was on track at all.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227956027&postcount=1949

Check out his other posts from around that time... and Matt's. They're insightful and, combined with the events of the past few months/years, they paint a sinister picture.

blakep267

Doesn't mean anything for sales wise. They could have got these players in Free Weekends or Gamepass.
It's not in gamepass, and almost every game has had a few weekend or multiple free weekends. Rainbow six siege has had multiple feee weekends and is on sale every other week, yet 21 million players or whatever is still a great number.

Also bigger GwG games at most may get between 1-2 million downloads over an entire month. I doubt Gears is getting that many downloads in a weekend

Theorry

It's all those 2nd players topping up that number, duh.

And nobody complained that they needed to download 90gb.

But all serious. Shinobi is great. But we never know how much money they made including sales and MT. And how much the budget was and if they include the price for wich they bought the IP. But 6.7m people played Gears is higher then people expected i think.

Well, they've been correct pretty much 100% of the time for years.

Right about what? Vague statements that different people can interpret in different ways? I'm not saying some of these people don't have sources or know certain things but I'll never take as gospel anything they actually say.

The pedestal that some people put them on is pretty ridiculous though, imo.

You do know that you can ignore stupid posts and not detail threads. It's not a thing where it will dishonor your family if you ignore dumb stuff

Im not replying to the guy above who wrote multiple paragraphs about how garbage spencer is because the threads gonna get derailed
That is the thing. JINX didn't make a "stupid post". He just made a (false) statement that involved Sony and MS first party output this year and I corrected him. It wasn't anything aggressive or ridiculous on either of our part. Someone posted a list to illustrate my point and then it went off track from there.

We also have these.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226400260&postcount=65
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225683963&postcount=70
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226428957&postcount=217

Goalus

Here's the quote. Maybe it broke even since, I don't know. Doesn't sound like it was on track at all.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227956027&postcount=1949

Check out his other posts from around that time... and Matt's. They're insightful and, combined with the events of the past few months/years, they paint a sinister picture.

Halo 5 doing less than its predecessors seems to be a blatant lie if I read this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1371606&page=1

Therefore I have a hard time believing his claim about Gears, especially as it will constantly bring in additional revenue for at least the next 12 months.

Vinc

Right about what? Vague statements that different people can interpret in different ways? I'm not saying some of these people don't have sources or know certain things but I'll never take as gospel anything they actually say.

The pedestal that some people put them on is pretty ridiculous though, imo.

Not vague at all. I have no idea what you're saying. Shinobi very much has a proven track record.

Theorry

Oke but those are 9/10 months old. We all know Gears 4 was down on Gears 3. Wich sold 3m in the first month i believe. So yeah thats expected. But we dont what is profitable etc now almost a year later. MT are huge nowadays also. Halo 5 MT delivered more money in 6 months and any previous Halo DLC for example.

Vinc

Halo 5 doing less than its predecessors seems to be a blatant lie if I read this thread:

Therefore I have a hard time believing his claim about Gears, especially as it will constantly bring in additional revenue for at least the next 12 months.

I definitely think you are way off the mark, but lets say we don't believe them and want to look only at the facts. If MS's first party was performing super well this gen, don't you think they would reinvest the profits into more content in order to promote growth? The opposite is happening.

blakep267

I definitely think you are way off the mark, but lets say we don't believe them and want to look only at the facts. If MS's first party was performing super well this gen, don't you think they would reinvest the profits into more content in order to promote growth? The opposite is happening.
You also do know that they have had their fair share of bombs also this gen.

Not vague at all. I have no idea what you're saying. Shinobi very much has a proven track record.

I'm saying that some of these insiders know people that know people who knows some guys Uncle that works for Nintendo, they might work for a developer but we can't be sure or they are used by publishers and developers to guerilla market there games.

I mean were not talking about investigative reporters here or people that are well known in the industry that we can publicly vouch for.

Anyway, this is not the thread to be discussing this so let's agree to disagree :)

Goalus

We can only say that for sure if their 1st-party output continues to decline.
I will gladly agree with you if in 2019 we will only get one or even zero exclusives.

peppers

Even though I trust Shinobi as an insider (last I checked he got the Anthem info right), that quote was from 6 months ago. In the case of Gears 4 the game has had ongoing support from both the development team and the community, recently reporting a pretty decent player count that, obviously, was higher than the buyers count due to a free weekend. Also don't forget the game relies pretty big on microtransactions for cosmetics and characters and they tend to be quite expensive. I think The Coalition should be pretty ok with how it's been doing, though I obviously don't have the numbers.
Regarding your second point, yes we can expect their business to contract (and it has, see Lionhead as has been cited in other recent threads) but their business also expands when they are successful. In any case, since there's no denying that at the very least their output has declined this past two years, I wanted to adress the other kind of posts. Not difficult to find those in this thread, specially when there's bad news.

Blatant lie? Halo 5 has had one of the steepest drop offs from a previous entry this gen and one of MS's biggest drops overall for a big IP. That's not a lie.

The game sold significantly less than prior entries.

Theorry

Blatant lie? Halo 5 has had one of the steepest drop offs from a previous entry this gen and one of MS's biggest drops overall. That's not a lie.

The game sold significantly less than prior entries.

Yet in that thread. And he is talking about that free dlc boosted the player count while in the other games with paid dlc the playerbase dropped every time.

"Also Pachter makes note that Halo 5 had more players playing 6 months in than any other Halo game and sold about on par in that time with Halo's 1, 2, 3, and 4"

A Playstation exclusive gets delayed, and it begins to transform into an urban myth that makes journalists jump over their chairs when it resurfaces. An Xbox exclusive

Let's not twist things now. People were devastated when they thought The Last Guardian was cancelled. The company attached to the game makes no difference. People didn't get angry simply because Microsoft cancelled Scalebound, they just wanted to play Scalebound. Though it certainly doesn't help that Microsoft also cancelled Fable Legends not long before that.

Yet in that thread.

"Also Pachter makes note that Halo 5 had more players playing 6 months in than any other Halo game and sold about on par in that time with Halo's 1, 2, 3, and 4"

Unless Patcher is willing to provide data that goes against official NPD data, that quote holds little to no value.

Top Bottom