• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

I know we will see 1 AAA for like 2018 cause so far we have nothing for 2018. Also, I'm making a bold guess here no Halo 6 in 2018. If it comes true I said it first.
I would be shocked.

Are you saying Halo 6 won't come out in 2018 because it will come in 2019 (with a new game taking the 2018 spotlight)? Or are you saying they aren't doing Halo 6 period?

Papacheeks

Banned
I'm pretty sure it comes down to who doles out the most cash for money hats.

Then Microsoft has the bigger bank account. I think Activision/Disney looked at who was market leader and who was poised to sell more consoles.

Regardless of how much you money hat there's a breaking point that you will make more on the console more people are buying which this gen is PS4.

gamz

Then Microsoft has the bigger bank account. I think Activision/Disney looked at who was market leader and who was poised to sell more consoles.

Regardless of how much you money hat there's a breaking point that you will make more on the console more people are buying which this gen is PS4.

Nah. Money wins out.

These deals where made before the console was even released.

blakep267

is Halo 3 anniversary coming this year??
Nah. Stinkles said No to that and Phil has also said no halo game this fall. You may get some maps remade for Halo 5 tho

No Halo 6 period.
Nah I'm pretty sure they are doing halo 6 or maybe not titles 6 but another mainline game for 2018. It's way too much money being left on the table with the reqs and copies sold( it didn't bomb at all)

I think it's almost guaranteed that for 2018 there'd be halo 6 and Forza Horizon 4. Outside of those two, the year is a mystery

rrc1594

Nah. Stinkles said No to that and Phil has also said no halo game this fall. You may get some maps remade for Halo 5 tho

Nah I'm pretty sure they are doing halo 6 or maybe not titles 6 but another mainline game for 2018. It's way too much money being left on the table with the reqs and copies sold( it didn't bomb at all)

I think it's almost guaranteed that for 2018 there'd be halo 6 and Forza Horizon 4. Outside of those two, the year is a mystery

Oh my.

I am very sure Halo 6 is coming but I hope your bold prediction comes true because it would be very exciting.

Halo 6 is coming out. It's their biggest game by a mile.

Yeah, I wouldn't bet on that.

I mean in 2018. I'll be pissed if I don't get Halo 6.

Doffen

Sony paid for marketing deals just like Microsoft paid for marketing deals.
If there truly was a breaking point Microsoft wouldn't have had marketing deals for FIFA 14, 15, 16 and 17.

No Halo 6 period in 2018

I wouldnt be wholly shocked if some things were going on with Halo and the next one wasnt called "Halo 6" if they did certain things to it so they could go back and do "Halo 6" if those things didnt work out, I guess it depends what 343 want to do with the franchise.

Which is a concern because they've not done a great job since taking over tbph.

Bsigg12

I wouldnt be wholly shocked if some things were going on with Halo and the next one wasnt called "Halo 6" if they did certain things to it so they could go back and do "Halo 6" if those things didnt work out, I guess it depends what 343 want to do with the franchise.

Which is a concern because they've not done a great job since taking over tbph.

5 was great in terms of gameplay and multiplayer. They did some really solid work there. They dropped the ball on the campaign after a great marketing campaign with the Hunt The Truth stuff they did.

It'll be interesting to see how they address the criticism in the next game and what the focus on the campaign looks like.

Zukkoyaki

Microsoft announcing three new AAA first party studios all working on massive new IPs is more likely than no Halo 6.

The real question is where does 343 go after finishing this particular trilogy.

rrc1594

5 was great in terms of gameplay and multiplayer. They did some really solid work there. They dropped the ball on the campaign after a great marketing campaign with the Hunt The Truth stuff they did.

It'll be interesting to see how they address the criticism in the next game and what the focus on the campaign looks like.

That was so good and it did nothing for Campaign. I just feel we will get something else related to Halo but not mainline game. Finger crossed for an RPG.

They did some good things with the gameplay but overall their management of it has been horrible and I think they have damaged the franchise more than they have pushed it on.

Perhaps we will see them make a well rounded package with Halo 6 but their flip-flopping between decent campaign/bad MP to not great Campaign/decent MP and Bonnie's comments about story recently concern me a lot.

Bungie weren't perfect and had some issues along the way themselves but at the end of the day what they still put together felt well rounded to me and things like the Warden's were just like... how many people sat in a room and thought that was a good idea? Did no-one say "doing the same thing over like that is gonna piss people off" and some of the other issues.

I mainly play Halo for campaign and did enjoy it but it had some big issues. Not sure how the marketing campaign (which was brilliant) ended up so much more compelling from a story perspective than what we got too.

Theres no way they arent doing another Halo games though, not sure if it was being referred to as "Halo but not 6" or just not Halo at all but... we havent heard of any big layoffs which we would do if something like that was happening.

Chris1

I can see 343 doing a destiny style game. Game play wise they can nail it and they don't really need a proper story for that type of game so they'd get away with any old throwaway shit as long as they don't promise the world like bungie did. Also fits with the direction ms seems to be going.

But I think halo 6 will come first.

mas8705

That is a pretty short list it feels like. Let's hope that when we see the conference, we get a few nice reveals for new exclusive games.

Hell knows that if the Scorpio is launching this year, they need to put in those games that will get people compelled to game with Microsoft.

I know it's off topic, but in no way is Halo 5's MP just "decent." It's easily my favorite MP since CE. The MP gameplay in Halo is now in a great position for Halo 6.

I know it's off topic, but in no way is Halo 5's MP just "decent." It's easily my favorite MP since CE. The MP gameplay in Halo is now in a great position for Halo 6.

You can upgrade it as you feel necessary, personally I disliked Warzone a lot, Arena was very good but also lack of certain things at launch (Firefight, BTB, only way to get a vehicle in MP at launch was in a req pack iirc?)

They've supported the game well and built it up but I would probably not bother with Warzone unless you were going to pay me.

They also did good things with gameplay and mechanics, but I think part of the issue it has is its not the package people expect/are used to at launch and thats a problem 343 need to address, hopefully they will with the next one, we'll see what they got.

Microsoft announcing three new AAA first party studios all working on massive new IPs is more likely than no Halo 6.

They've said repeatedly that they're not making a new "trilogy." Even if they were, 4-5 doesn't really feel like a setup for a third concluding chapter. They'd need at least one more game to deliver on 5's setup.

I do see them venturing out of the FPS space a little, though. An RPG feels like a natural entry in the franchise that's never been delivered on, and I could see them slotting one in after 6, assuming they feel that the multi in that is something that can last a few years without a refresh.

W.S.

Gears of War
Halo
Forza
Minecraft
Killer Instinct
Crackdown
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay
Age of Empires
Jet Force Gemini
Crimson Skies
Crimson Dragon
Recore
Quantum Break
Perfect Dark
Conkers
Banjo
Phantom Dust
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Voodoo Vince
Project Gotham Racing
Ninety Nine Nights
Infinite Undiscovery
Fable
Fusion Frenzy
Kameo
Viva Piñata

I think Microsoft owns all these IPs but yet why only concentrate on a few of them ?
Ninety Nine Nights seems like cloudy territory but the wiki says SE shares the copyright with SE for Infinite Undiscovery & MS owns the trademark which is interesting. Doubt anything else will come of that though sadly.

They seem to have a good lineup this year to complement the Scorpio launch, for my tastes anyway.

Forza 7 - technical showcase and great game as usual

Crackdown - 'Wow factor' game with all the explosions and shit, and an old fan favourite

SOD - Quality 'alternate' game

SOT - Another alternate game, contrary to the idea that they only make shooters. May not release this year though?

Then it seems Ori 2 is happening, probably their best new IP in a long time. Cuphead and Below must be on the way. Bound to be at least one or two surprises too. Maybe bringing back other OG Xbox games too along with Phantom Dust.

If they smash the system and services stuff out the park and it looks like a solid year to me. It's 2018 onward where they NEED to introduce something(s) new and big.

I am excite, mainly for Crackdown. Which I would much rather have than them 'needing' to make a HZD game thank you very much!
I think MS has to show at this year's E3 what's going to come out early to mid 2018 not just the rest of the 2017 lineup.

Speaking of the rest of 2017, I'm looking forward to Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2, & Sea of Thieves but they seem so far away considering when Halo Wars 2 released. Outside of HW2 & some KI DLC it's been a rough couple of months so I hope we get more news leading up to E3 concerning the ReCore DE, Cuphead, and the Phantom Dust port at least.

W.S.

They've said repeatedly that they're not making a new "trilogy." Even if they were, 4-5 doesn't really feel like a setup for a third concluding chapter. They'd need at least one more game to deliver on 5's setup.

I do see them venturing out of the FPS space a little, though. An RPG feels like a natural entry in the franchise that's never been delivered on, and I could see them slotting one in after 6, assuming they feel that the multi in that is something that can last a few years without a refresh.

I think a 3rd person Locke title with optional Team Osirus coop would be pretty cool. I'm actually more surprised they never went ahead with another ODST title considering how well received the first one was.

I know it's more cost prohibitive to do this but I wished 343 adapted their expanded universe transmedia content into games.

Something other than Halo. I think it's pretty clear that the franchise has lost it's luster (as much as I personally love it) with the wider gaming audience. 343i has too much talent to be working on Halo forever.

For Sea of Thieve's sake I really hope they either have a dedicated Xbox Games store on Windows (separate from the Windows store) or have the tech sorted out for releasing first-party games on Steam by then (a'la UPlay).

I really want SoT to do well.

Granjinha

I want to see Ashen. Remember?

Looks so cool.

For Sea of Thieve's sake I really hope they either have a dedicated Xbox Games store on Windows (separate from the Windows store) or have the tech sorted out for releasing first-party games on Steam by then (a'la UPlay).

I really want SoT to do well.

Sea of Thieves could do really well on Steam.

Chris1

2018 would be the typical 3 year cycle. I don't think they need 4 years to build upon what they did in 5.
In fairness, with how disappointing the campaign was and how much content was missing from the game at launch they probably should take the extra year to make it :p

But yeah, they won't

W.S.

2018 would be the typical 3 year cycle. I don't think they need 4 years to build upon what they did in 5.
They don't but but at the same time I want them to get Halo 6 right.

After losing so much good talent post Halo 4 they should have taken another year to sort out the design/story problems in 5. It would behoove MS not to rush the game out to hit that 3 year deadline if they want to get a better Halo game out of it.

Otherwise they further risk losing the fanabase that's left.

After losing so much good talent post Halo 4 they should have taken another year to sort out the design/story problems in 5. It would behoove MS not to rush the game out to hit that 3 year deadline if they want to get a better Halo game out of it.

I guess the question is what would they have to replace Halo 6 for that holiday spot in 2018? They could give Halo that extra time if they have a game that could sufficiently fill that spot.

Halo 6 will have to be holiday 2018 if they don't have anything else.

Sydle

I'm not sure time would have fixed the SP design and story issues such as multiple Warden fights and the direction they took Cortana. Those seem like things they decided upon early on that just didn't connect with the audience the way they imagined.

I guess the question is what would they have to replace Halo 6 for that holiday spot in 2018? They could give Halo that extra time if they have a game that could sufficiently fill that spot.

Plus Gears 5 is likely aiming for another 3-year dev cycle with a 2019 release and I doubt MS wants mainline Halo and Gears releasing the same year.

MarveI

I think a 3rd person Locke title with optional Team Osirus coop would be pretty cool. I'm actually more surprised they never went ahead with another ODST title considering how well received the first one was.

I know it's more cost prohibitive to do this but I wished 343 adapted their expanded universe transmedia content into games.

It would bomb so hard. If it was Bungie it'd be another story.

Halo 5 MP was decent, the gameplay mechanics were the best part heck I even liked their customization and microtransactions system but the game felt so robotic, lacked atmosphere and the maps were just dreadful for me. People say H5s MP is great but for me it was just the gameplay mechanics that were great. If you look at Warzone that's also a far cry from Reachs Firefight. You genuinely felt like you were in a battlefield, there was tension, atmosphere. Maps were well done. With Halo 5 you have a really great gameplay mechanic maybe the best of the series. But everything else feels so...what's the word i'm looking for...lifeless ? I'm not even gonna comment on the single player and story aspect that was quite possibly one of my worst experiences ever. I always played every Halo SP at least 3-4 times I never ever want to replay H5 ever again and I'm surprised I even finished H5 cause I really wanted to give up on it several times but my love for Halo kept me going in the hopes I could salvage something out of it but alas. I don't understand how 343 gets so much leeway considering they've made a couple Halo games now and not 1 of them was truly great. Each entry either the SP or the MP was incredibly lacking. You either have it or you don't and I don't think 343 has it. I think the best they can do is what they've done so far which isn't remotely bad but when you look at what the Halo franchise stood for it's sad to see the franchise dying a slow and painful death.It just keeps dropping and dropping. I mean Halo 1,2,3 were one of the best games released they were like an event but 343's Halo isn't even among one of the best games of the year they were released. I think H5 kind of damaged it so much it's hard to see how anyone can salvage that (talking about the story).

It just baffles my mind how they can totally ignore Hunt The Truth and think the story in H5 would be even remotely a good idea. Scratch that, everyone heavily critisized H5s story, SP. Yet they still kept the writer of H5. It's as if they just don't care. This really isn't rocket science if you want a good story get a good writer. A franchise like Halo shouldn't be seen as an opportunity to milk it dry because with great care and genuine love for the franchise, with care for quality before anything else, they could've gotten so much more out of it. Instead it's going down a path that's actually painful to witness considering how much this franchise means to me and i'm sure many many others. I wish I could have a 1 on 1 with Phil I would definately have asked him about this because I vaguely remember him saying all the good stuff I wanted to hear about Halo how the franchise put Xbox on the map and how much it meant to them and how much care they're going to treat it with but instead I see a steady downfall of it. Sorry for going offtopic here. 1,5 years later and I'm still salty. Everyone has that 1 franchise or game that is the sole reason for their love of gaming. Halo was that franchise for me.

Start another trilogy ? I would be amazed if 343, Coalition and Turn 10 made something that wasn't a Halo, Gears and Forza game for the next decade. I have had more than enough of those franchises but to me MS' vibe is that they are more than content to stick with the sequel factory routine for those studios.

Interesting
17991595_1499047970105241_19201817684252543_o.jpg

Zukkoyaki

Start another trilogy ? I would be amazed if 343, Coalition and Turn 10 made something that wasn't a Halo, Gears and Forza game for the next decade. I have had more than enough of those franchises but to me MS' vibe is that they are more than content to stick with the sequel factory routine for those studios.
This is the likely scenario for sure. Though part of me does think Halo will receive some kind of shake-up, maybe next generation. I could see 343 attemping to do something more like Destiny with it.

pieface

They should have made the hunt the truth the actual campaign, was 10x better than what we were given.

343, whilst making the game play very solid, has removed all the things that mate halo enjoyable for me.

The promethians are also the dullest enemies to fight, it's like fighting soulless robot after robot. At least the aliens had some kind of personality trait. They've messed up the franchise so much.

mcrommert

Banned

Wasn't there talk a few years ago that it would be 4 games instead of 3?

Bonnie said the stopped looking at Halo as a trilogy (proclaimer) and more as a saga. I'm guessing that's why it's Halo 5: Guardians, and not just Halo 5. They want to leave it open to build more on it if they feel like it.

blakep267

I don't really care about the singleplayer or story. All I care about is the halo multiplayer. 5 was fantastic, so while I want to see small changes here and there. I really just want it to remain untouched. Halo 6 needs a new coat of pain though. Severely. 5 didn't look bad, but the pursuit of 60fps shows. Anyway from 6 I need

- at least 4 all new warsone maps
-7-8 Arena maps
- Let us be able to mix and match armor pieces again. Like X shoulders, Y chest, Z head etc
- Also get a little more creative with the armors and not just keep it in the halo universe

W.S.

They can always put in a new IP but I have no doubts Halo 6 will be Holiday 2018. I just think they should take more time with Halo and not rush it if they want to at least keep the quality up on the campaign.

I'm not sure time would have fixed the SP design and story issues such as multiple Warden fights and the direction they took Cortana. Those seem like things they decided upon early on that just didn't connect with the audience the way they imagined.
Eh, I feel like more time would have given them a chance to reevaluate some questionable design decisions like the Warden fight that you mentioned. More time could have also benefited H5's multiplayer content since it was spread out over the months. It was for similar reasons that MCC and ReCore had their content/bug issues.

It would bomb so hard. If it was Bungie it'd be another story.

Halo 5 MP was decent, the gameplay mechanics were the best part heck I even liked their customization and microtransactions system but the game felt so robotic, lacked atmosphere and the maps were just dreadful for me. People say H5s MP is great but for me it was just the gameplay mechanics that were great. If you look at Warzone that's also a far cry from Reachs Firefight. You genuinely felt like you were in a battlefield, there was tension, atmosphere. Maps were well done. With Halo 5 you have a really great gameplay mechanic maybe the best of the series. But everything else feels so...what's the word i'm looking for...lifeless ? I'm not even gonna comment on the single player and story aspect that was quite possibly one of my worst experiences ever. I always played every Halo SP at least 3-4 times I never ever want to replay H5 ever again and I'm surprised I even finished H5 cause I really wanted to give up on it several times but my love for Halo kept me going in the hopes I could salvage something out of it but alas. I don't understand how 343 gets so much leeway considering they've made a couple Halo games now and not 1 of them was truly great. Each entry either the SP or the MP was incredibly lacking. You either have it or you don't and I don't think 343 has it. I think the best they can do is what they've done so far which isn't remotely bad but when you look at what the Halo franchise stood for it's sad to see the franchise dying a slow and painful death.It just keeps dropping and dropping. I mean Halo 1,2,3 were one of the best games released they were like an event but 343's Halo isn't even among one of the best games of the year they were released. I think H5 kind of damaged it so much it's hard to see how anyone can salvage that (talking about the story).

It just baffles my mind how they can totally ignore Hunt The Truth and think the story in H5 would be even remotely a good idea. Scratch that, everyone heavily critisized H5s story, SP. Yet they still kept the writer of H5. It's as if they just don't care. This really isn't rocket science if you want a good story get a good writer. A franchise like Halo shouldn't be seen as an opportunity to milk it dry because with great care and genuine love for the franchise, with care for quality before anything else, they could've gotten so much more out of it. Instead it's going down a path that's actually painful to witness considering how much this franchise means to me and i'm sure many many others. I wish I could have a 1 on 1 with Phil I would definately have asked him about this because I vaguely remember him saying all the good stuff I wanted to hear about Halo how the franchise put Xbox on the map and how much it meant to them and how much care they're going to treat it with but instead I see a steady downfall of it. Sorry for going offtopic here. 1,5 years later and I'm still salty. Everyone has that 1 franchise or game that is the sole reason for their love of gaming. Halo was that franchise for me.
I don't think it would bomb.

It would fill in the need for more 3rd person action adventure titles and at the same time still use the Halo brand without using Chief who can stay in the traditional 1st person perspective.

Top Bottom