• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Hahaha.

Reopening Lionhead. Renewing trademark for Scalebound and have a new team working on it.

I'll add into the mix that Rare are working on Banjo Threeie, PGR5 is a 2018 game, Viva Piñata s in current development and Project Dylan is actually the third KotOR exclusively made for Xbox from Bioware.

This is fun :)

Don't toy with my heart :-(

willbsn13

I really hope Phantom Dust does well, and gives MS a reason to look at a Xbox Classics program of sorts. Would be awesome to see more OG Xbox stuff make its way to the XB1 either way.

Man we're so close to E3 already, I hope MS' conference doesn't leak like last year. Speaking of E3, do you think we'll see a 3rd party exclusive deal like Titanfall, ROTR & Dead Rising 4 announced at E3 year?

blakep267

I really hope Phantom Dust does well, and gives MS a reason to look at a Xbox Classics program of sorts. Would be awesome to see more OG Xbox stuff make its way to the XB1 either way.

Man we're so close to E3 already, I hope MS' conference doesn't leak like last year. Speaking of E3, do you think we'll see a 3rd party exclusive deal like Titanfall, ROTR & Dead Rising 4 announced at E3 year?
Yeah. And there will be outrage yadda yadda yadda

I think they need something to bolster the next spring time.

peppers

They said that porting Phantom Dust to XPA was a technical challenge that involved reverse engineering the whole thing, but I sure hope they found a way to "streamline" the process just so they could do the same thing with other MS published games and really develop that Xbox Classics program. I would love to get 1080p/4K
priced accordingly
re-releases in-between the big first party titles. There are true gems in the OG Xbox catalog I've been told.

Ushay

Pls play phantom dust so we can get a sequel.

I've been playing a bit everyday, quite a few people I know have at least downloaded it.
It ultimately depends on MS, they need to realise this is an OG Xbox game and the number of people picking it up (even though it's free) won't be that high.

I'm still hopeful they have plans in the pipeline, otherwise what was the benefit in bringing this (port) over?

A third party exclusive similar to Sunset Overdrive and Scalebound? Possibly. An exclusive similar to RoTR and DR4? No.

Borderlands 3 timed exclusive

shingi70

Banned
A new Phatom Dust seems like a no brainer with Xbox investing now heavily into Games as a service. Seems like a new Phatom Dust could be built with that totally in mind when it came to the multiplayer.

blakep267

A new Phatom Dust seems like a no brainer with Xbox investing now heavily into Games as a service. Seems like a new Phatom Dust could be built with that totally in mind when it came to the multiplayer.
If they were going to make a new PD, it'd likely be a f2p game with the MP only. Which is why they are trying to gauge any interest of it exists. The PD dark side was working on was essentially that. Just an updated version of the OG game

Speaking of E3, do you think we'll see a 3rd party exclusive deal like Titanfall, ROTR & Dead Rising 4 announced at E3 year?

Personally I think we will. Even if not AAA games, they'll probably lock some high-production value indie games for lifetime exclusivity like Cuphead/Ashen.

They've always had some amount of 3rd-party exclusivity grab annually, I don't expect this year to be different.

The God

If we're talking AAA, nah. I'm having a hard time imagining a willing developer to give them an exclusive.

What makes you so sure that won't happen? (I'm not advocating for deals like this btw, just curious)
Phil said no more of that (I know, Phil says a lot of things), it doesn't really make sense to go with those type of deals, and, most importantly, what is even available for them to do something like that again?

Edit - Yeah, I'm talking about AAA as well. Indie and AA, sure.

willbsn13

Phil said no more of that (I know, Phil says a lot of things), it doesn't really make sense to go with those type of deals, and, most importantly, what is even available for them to do something like that again?

Edit - Yeah, I'm talking about AAA as well. Indie and AA, sure.

Yeah that makes sense, especially the last part (and I was referring to AAA too)

Chris1

Hmm.. Biggest thing for beam ever ?

Dunno what it could be then, it already has most of the features Twitch has and more right?

gamz

Matt the lead of Beam said it's the biggest thing ever for Beam. I assume he means besides being bought by Microsoft lol

He said to that question

In terms of awesome product stuff, yes. :)

Scorpio teaser of some sort? What other huge product news is there?

Salty Hippo

Beam seems like a great product but I doubt it's anything I'll ever be interested in. I thought this thread was to discuss game development. Not hating though, let's see what it is.

Somnia

Beam seems like a great product but I doubt it's anything I'll ever be interested in. I thought this thread was to discuss game development. Not hating though, let's see what it is.

Could be game related in some fashion since all the Xbox guys are hyping it. Just all speculation at this point though.

Investing in Beam is so silly. No one is on there. It's like trying to make your own video streaming site, when people will just go on YouTube. It's like trying to make a social network like facebook, when people will just stay on facebook.

In this case, Twitch is only getting bigger and people won't leave for Beam

Finaj

Investing in Beam is so silly. No one is on there. It's like trying to make your own video streaming site, when people will just go on YouTube. It's like trying to make a social network like facebook, when people will just stay on facebook.

In this case, Twitch is only getting bigger and people won't leave for Beam

Hey, if investing in Beam encourages Twitch to improve their streaming capabilities, I'm all for it.

Hey, if investing in Beam encourages Twitch to improve their streaming capabilities, I'm all for it.

the difference in mindshare is so big that most people don't even know Beam exists. The tech is great, and already better than twitch in some ways. But it won't influence Twitch to change at all because Beam is barely competition.

gamz

the difference in mindshare is so big that most people don't even know Beam exists. The tech is great, and already better than twitch in some ways. But it won't influence Twitch to change at all because Beam is barely competition.

When you are baked into Xbox One and on the biggest desktop OS and have one of the largest companies in the world you have a fair shot of gaining traction. I mean Beam cost MS nothing and they have killer tech. It was a great buy.

Mindshare in tech changes with the wind and streaming is so very young still.

Somnia

That's a no brainer for Microsoft's new direction, but what does Beam have to do with this?

And what the hell is Shannon talking about? They'll reveal their games on Beam 2 weeks before the conference or something?

Wild speculation. What if they are adding Beam Gold, like Twitch Prime. Free sub a month with deals... first deal is beta for Crackdown :p

100% random lol

m23

That's a no brainer for Microsoft's new direction, but what does Beam have to do with this?

And what the hell is Shannon talking about? They'll reveal their games on Beam 2 weeks before the conference or something?

?

The beam announcement and Loftis tweet aren't even connected.

Then what's the fucking point of her even saying something like "we'll show what games are at E3 soon"? Beam or not, it's weird. E3 is just around the corner.

It was in response to someone asking ybarra if we'll find out more about CD3 at e3

Edit: Does MS ever announce what games will be coming to the e3 conference in advance? I feel like they do, just the expected titles

Top Bottom