• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to lay off 'thousands' of employees

I'm sure executives will meet their goals to get their bonus.

Made 💰? Fire people.
Lost 💰? Fire people.

Wall Street was a mistake
Stockholders are nothing but trash...

It's not enough that you make money, if you're not making more money every year then somehow you've failed.

GKnight

Banned
Layoffs are part of running a healthy business. Companies don't exist as charities which supply jobs, they exist to maximize stakeholder value. The Nokia stuff is just poor management.

Although this is true it just grosses me out.
Which is why I will just never be in business.

It boggles the mind that people legitimately feel that companies have some sort of civic duty to provide jobs to people, even when there is literally no work at the company that needs to be done by those people.

GKnight

Banned
It boggles the mind that people legitimately feel that companies have some sort of civic duty to provide jobs to people, even when there is literally no work at the company that needs to be done by those people.

If it was easy to find another job it wouldn't be an issue but in many cases its near impossible.

That's why I went for a public service job... Good security, good pensions. People get mad you take their tax money, I guess.

Wall Street was a mistake
Stockholders are nothing but trash...

It's not enough that you make money, if you're not making more money every year then somehow you've failed.

We have this thing called inflation, for starters. Business profits need to grow over time the same as any other income source for an individual, because make no mistake, business profits are income sources for individuals, and not just fat cats.

(I was going to say publicly held business profits, but it's not as if mom-n-pop shops are somehow immune.)

Fire whoever thought up that Windows 10 upgrade nagware. I went from thinking about getting W10 eventually to being proud to stick with Windows 7 due to how annoying that shit got.

Makai

I think people have this image in their minds of the job market being like a Great Depression food line. It's really not that big of a deal to get laid off unless you are completely broke. They probably got severance pay anyway.

philz

If it was easy to find another job it wouldn't be an issue but in many cases its near impossible.

That's why I went for a public service job... Good security, good pensions. People get mad you take their tax money, I guess.

Fuck you got mine, right?

Renekton

This idea sort of gets muddied due to often close ties between corporations and governments

Brakke

Banned
I think people have this image in their minds of the job market being like a Great Depression food line. It's really not that big of a deal to get laid off unless you are completely broke. They probably got severance pay anyway.

Bunch of them laid off in Seattle, no less. I got three recruitment emails from Amazon this week alone. Sounds like most of these people are in careers. Losing a job is disruptive and scary but there's no reason to think this is catastrophic for thousands of people.

That brush of yours seems too broad, and maybe that's not your intent. Perhaps these folks from Microsoft will be in good shape, but not all layoffs work out quite like that. Many displaced workers actually have nowhere else to go.

Mr.Mike

Further that these people shouldn't go do what work there is to be done.

Job transitions can be difficult personally but on a macro scale refusing to reallocate resources because the transition is difficult would be disastrous. This is true regardless of who owns what.

We should perhaps do more to help people move between jobs. I'm not really sure what else people think ought to be done?

I agree with you in general, but it largely depends on your field. For experienced sales and marketing like what it sounds like is affected, there will be tons of jobs available for these people. We can always cherry pick exceptions and find the small set of people who were displaced / unable to find new work, but in general for the types of positions described here, people are not going to be having that much trouble.

And yes, like you said, if you want job security, try to find work for the government.

I think many people are (understandably) coming at it from a straight-out-of-college no-work-experience entry-level mindset, or unskilled data-entry job type of mindset. It *is* hard to find those kinds of jobs. For skilled workers with experience in sales, marketing accounting, digital media, engineering, etc. It is not hard. Honestly most of them will probably get severance pay that goes beyond how long it takes them to find a new job, meaning they'll be raking in "double salary" for a period of time. Of course there will be some people that have a hard time, but again, if you want job security find work for the government (and receive less pay). There's always a tradeoff

We should perhaps do more to help people move between jobs. I'm not really sure what else people think ought to be done?
Boredom rooms, I guess.

I mean considering how much America worships and loves bending over for corporations you'd think these companies were under some sort of civic duty to provide jobs lol. It's why I never understood America's hard on for corporations as some sort of entity that should be worshiped. Like "we gotta appease the corporation/wealth gods so they can bless us with jobs!"

Horp

It's funny seeing people at gaf
1. Talk about a company as if it would be an official institution of some kind
2. Have no clue to the reasoning or the selection method but just randomly guess and then criticize them for that.

MS is moving towards the cloud. There will be new jobs and some older jobs will be gone. Just like how energy is moving away from coal and into solar/wind; there will be layoffs and new hirings, just like with MS. Someone I dont think the same people that are mad at MS are up there with trump defending the coal jobs in the same way.

Also, with MS in the resume and the severance packages they give, these people will have good chances. Very good.

These people are leaving one of the most well-known companies on the planet and are probably getting nice severance packages as well.

I really don't think they are gonna have any problems landing on their feet. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if their cell phones are already ringing off the hook with calls from headhunters.

g11

"A part of our company is hemorrhaging money and is becoming more obsolete by the day? It's fine! We're turning a healthy profit anyway. Let's keep this albatross around our neck indefinitely for the miniscule number of people it will keep employed rather than adapt toward the future!"

- Every successful CEO ever
/s

Some of you are just absolutely precious. How would that be any different than Trump's ridiculous "plan" to prop up the coal industry? It doesn't matter if Microsoft is the most profitable it's ever been, an obsolete job is still obsolete. Do you guys still buy floppy disks too?

I'm always shocked by the number of people Microsoft has in sales and marketing.
Their legal division is huge too.

It's pretty easy to find a job when you have experience in sales.
I don't know about marketing, but I like their ad about "why this family should get a horse".

Marketing is what sells what's on store shelves.
The sales department is for those large contracts.

Cyrano

You realize that Microsoft engineers and employees in North America are well paid, the company has very high marks for work-life balance, and it provides great benefits to its employees....... paid vacation, good health insurance, severance packages, and the benefit of having Microsoft on your resume (which goes a very long way in the industry)?

This is the middle ground. Microsoft employs ~130,000 people, they're laying off several thousand. It stinks that they have to cut thousands of positions, it would be great if you could develop a new product and 100% of people that work on the old product can transition over to the new one, but that's not how business works...
Even if the work-life balance is "good" the employer-employee balance is as awful as most every other company in America. Until employees have real say in their work, who stays and who goes as a community, everyone will hate the employer, and why wouldn't they? It's an entirely adversarial relationship. The only really innovative companies I've seen are those where the wealth, and thus distribution of power, is entirely flat (i.e. everyone receives the same salary, from the janitors to the CEOs), and hiring and firing decisions are made by communities specific to the work people do.

Similarly, saying "that's not how business works" is endemic of a much larger problem in the working world in general. It's an excuse for not taking responsibility for putting people out. It's as much a non-excuse as when the police talk about "bad apples" in racially motivated shootings.

Horp

Even if the work-life balance is "good" the employer-employee balance is as awful as most every other company in America. Until employees have real say in their work, who stays and who goes as a community, everyone will hate the employer, and why wouldn't they? It's an entirely adversarial relationship. The only really innovative companies I've seen are those where the wealth, and thus distribution of power, is entirely flat (i.e. everyone receives the same salary, from the janitors to the CEOs), and hiring and firing decisions are made by communities specific to the work people do.

Similarly, saying "that's not how business works" is endemic of a much larger problem in the working world in general. It's an excuse for not taking responsibility for putting people out. It's as much a non-excuse as when the police talk about "bad apples" in racially motivated shootings.
I'm not saying "that's not how business works". Business can work that way too, maybe. Thats the cool thing; if you want to create such a company or fight for another company to become like that, go ahead. Maybe it'll work really well and you'll attract lots of awesome employees, or maybe it wont work because the people that has spent more time/money/effort on their education and work career wants higher salaries than the janitors etc. (And ofc everone can't have CEO-level salaries).
Try it!

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
The real issue here is the philosophy that makes un-needed work being done for no reason "Good".
Companies should operate with the workers they need and no more.
They should also be taxed enough that no one actually needs that job to live.

Forcing companies to hold on workers they don't need is ridicolous. Just tax them more.

Horp

The real issue here is the philosophy that makes un-needed work being done for no reason "Good".
Companies should operate with the workers they need and no more.
They should also be taxed enough that no one actually needs that job to live.

Forcing companies to hold on workers they don't need is ridicolous. Just tax them more.
What does "should" mean in this context? Should means nothing when talking about private businesses. They find their own "should". You can or course propose law changes that enforces certain behaviours, but do you really think that this and the taxing you are suggesting will keep companies operating in the country where you are from? The big companies will just move their business elsewhere. The economy will break apart and everyone will lose as a result.

What does "should" mean in this context? Should means nothing when talking about private businesses. They find their own "should". You can or course propose law changes that enforces certain behaviours, but do you really think that this and the taxing you are suggesting will keep companies operating in the country where you are from? The big companies will just move their business elsewhere. The economy will break apart and everyone will lose as a result.

But businesses are already committed to outsourcing whatever they can to cheaper countries. Tax isn't really the issue, as places like US can never do work as cheap as it can be done in, say, India, even if you enact the libertarian fantasy of taxation being eliminated altogether.

They always threaten to move to another country, but it isn't that easy. First of all, infrastructure and high quality workers cannot just be moved and outsourced like a bunch of farm animals.
You can do that with factory and assembly jobs. You're not going to move 5000 specialized workers to some tax haven. Think about the cost.
Relocating a single employee and their family alone can be extremely expensive and is only reserved for absolutely essential and irreplaceable employees.

It is very very expensive, costly and time consuming to hire, train and get a worker up to speed. When you fire someone and have to put someone else up to speed, the process that goes on can cost many many many many thousands of dollars. Most people forget these costs. It's really staggering.

Companies get a lot of benefits from staying in a place with a good infrastructure and highquality workforce. With good infrastructure you get lots of government assistent based programs that help take pressure of you as a company in terms of providing for the well being and function of the workers. With a high quality workforce you can find some of the best and bravest more easily, than you can if you move your entire operation to a tax haven in the middle of nowhere.
And you'll find that many of these high quality workers are not going to just pick up and leave.

Companies don't have the responsibility to make the right calls for society. They are a self sustained ecochamber that has to maximize profits. This is why trickle down economics is not feesable. The idea is that if we just give in to all of their demands, that it will create job growth permanently is a fleeting idea.

Software optimization alone, is going to cull a lot of the workforce. We're already seeing it. 10 years ago, by the token you needed an army of web designers to make your page, you can now use one of the many drag-and-drop solutions to get a viable and workable templates. You got tons of easy extensions that allow with the click of a button to make your own storefront.
This is not strictly automation or outsourcing, but also just optimization. Fewer people needed to do the jobs as our tools (software) get that much better.
We need fewer bankers, fewer traders, fewer brokers. People cannot keep up with our technologies.

And really, companies have the incentive to do this. Having human employees is a clusterfuck. It's ill advised, it's not good. Human error is detriment to your work, human employees have so many hangups and problems and considerations. From pension, to healthcare, to breaks, to vacation, to fucking everything else. The sooner you can get rid of people from your organization the better it will be.
It is so frustrating that republicans cannot fucking comprehend, that people are not desired. They are needed. They are just a means to an end. But republican thinking is that people should be bitches to corporations.

Corporations needs to be taxed a considerable amount.
Eventually inequality is going to get a point where the economy crashes and nobody but the privileged few will have the money to be consumers that keep corporate profits up.

dopplr

They are still bringing in billions in profit each year and will profit in the billions this year. Keeping those 3,000 employees would do the company no harm. It is all about pleasing wall street and maintaining a specific amount in "growth".

It's in the companies best interest to cut these jobs and produce results for shareholders. It should be in the governments best interest to regulate these companies and ensure the public interest.

Horp

They always threaten to move to another country, but it isn't that easy. First of all, infrastructure and high quality workers cannot just be moved and outsourced like a bunch of farm animals.
You can do that with factory and assembly jobs. You're not going to move 5000 specialized workers to some tax haven. Think about the cost.
Relocating a single employee and their family alone can be extremely expensive and is only reserved for absolutely essential and irreplaceable employees.

It is very very expensive, costly and time consuming to hire, train and get a worker up to speed. When you fire someone and have to put someone else up to speed, the process that goes on can cost many many many many thousands of dollars. Most people forget these costs. It's really staggering.

Companies get a lot of benefits from staying in a place with a good infrastructure and highquality workforce. With good infrastructure you get lots of government assistent based programs that help take pressure of you as a company in terms of providing for the well being and function of the workers. With a high quality workforce you can find some of the best and bravest more easily, than you can if you move your entire operation to a tax haven in the middle of nowhere.
And you'll find that many of these high quality workers are not going to just pick up and leave.

Companies don't have the responsibility to make the right calls for society. They are a self sustained ecochamber that has to maximize profits. This is why trickle down economics is not feesable. The idea is that if we just give in to all of their demands, that it will create job growth permanently is a fleeting idea.

Software optimization alone, is going to cull a lot of the workforce. We're already seeing it. 10 years ago, by the token you needed an army of web designers to make your page, you can now use one of the many drag-and-drop solutions to get a viable and workable templates. You got tons of easy extensions that allow with the click of a button to make your own storefront.
This is not strictly automation or outsourcing, but also just optimization. Fewer people needed to do the jobs as our tools (software) get that much better.
We need fewer bankers, fewer traders, fewer brokers. People cannot keep up with our technologies.

And really, companies have the incentive to do this. Having human employees is a clusterfuck. It's ill advised, it's not good. Human error is detriment to your work, human employees have so many hangups and problems and considerations. From pension, to healthcare, to breaks, to vacation, to fucking everything else. The sooner you can get rid of people from your organization the better it will be.
It is so frustrating that republicans cannot fucking comprehend, that people are not desired. They are needed. They are just a means to an end. But republican thinking is that people should be bitches to corporations.

Corporations needs to be taxed a considerable amount.
Eventually inequality is going to get a point where the economy crashes and nobody but the privileged few will have the money to be consumers that keep corporate profits up.
Ok the phone, cant reply properly.
first off, I agree. I'm from sweden and I think our current tax levels are great (highest in the world).
And of course moving your business isn't easy but the post I replied to wasn't some small tax change suggestion, it was about having enough tax that people didn't even need the job.
Outlandish and aburd claims get (in this case much less) outlandish reponses. I'm sick of these kinds of threads on gaf being riddled with fantasy fiction level posts that states opinions without considering even the most basic levels of logic (forget business logic I'm talking 1+1=2 logic) and also ignores all the lessons to be learned from history.
YES things aren't fine and we need to come up with politics that push things towards the better, but we get nowhere from ignorant fantasy ideas.

Maximus.

This is what they do when their stock price is at the highest it has been. I hate wall street and its greed.

Big companies have a lot of dead weight. It really sucks people have to lose their jobs, but it isn't the obligation of a company to keep employees just because it can, when it works for shareholders and maximizing value. Too many employees can lead to redundancies and too much beaucracy. Shedding 3000/121000 won't fix all those concerns, but it's just reality.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Nope. Shift to Service structure via Cloud (Azure). Most big tech companies that shift to Cloud will do so too I expect.

Sucks for staff but it's the nature of SaaS model. You don't need same level of marketing/sales for something that's sold like electricity or water as a commodity you sign up to as a service.

Good thing for Xbox Live (which is some ways as a subscription service was a proto Cloud offering) because if it was all about just selling some hardware I wouldn't want to be Xbox division as the shift to what I think of as EaaS (Everything as a Servive) contnues at MS.

Surface, etc will be fine as they want their own device for their OS a'la Apple. I think.

This is it. Market has been shifting for a long time, and you either go with it or you get left behind. Doesn't make sense to starve the body to save the foot.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Ok the phone, cant reply properly.
first off, I agree. I'm from sweden and I think our current tax levels are great (highest in the world).
And of course moving your business isn't easy but the post I replied to wasn't some small tax change suggestion, it was about having enough tax that people didn't even need the job.
Outlandish and aburd claims get (in this case much less) outlandish reponses. I'm sick of these kinds of threads on gaf being riddled with fantasy fiction level posts that states opinions without considering even the most basic levels of logic (forget business logic I'm talking 1+1=2 logic) and also ignores all the lessons to be learned from history.
YES things aren't fine and we need to come up with politics that push things towards the better, but we get nowhere from ignorant fantasy ideas.

Basic Income is not that outlandish.
It's certainly more outlandish to think we can keep a near-full employment through the next industrial revolution, and even more outlandish to think we can force companies to keep the population employed when they don't need the workers.

One obvious method that's part of what i was talking about is moving the tax burden to the profits or revenue, away from labor as it largely is currently.
One staunch problem nowdays is that a worker costs up to twice it's net take-home, while automation\optimization features are not taxed that way, and even incentivized.

Then again, keep on thinking local solutions can solve global trends.

Horp

Basic Income is not that outlandish.
It's certainly more outlandish to think we can keep a near-full employment through the next industrial revolution, and even more outlandish to think we can force companies to keep the population employed when they don't need the workers.

One obvious method that's part of what i was talking about is moving the tax burden to the profits or revenue, away from labor as it largely is currently.
One staunch problem nowdays is that a worker costs up to twice it's net take-home, while automation\optimization features are not taxed that way, and even incentivized.

Then again, keep on thinking local solutions can solve global trends.

It is extremely outlandish, undoable and unrealistic. It's a fantasy.

There will be challenges going forward, just like there were challenges when we went into the industrial age, and the tech age after that.

The solution to these challenges is to NOT resort to crazy fantasy ideas that -just will not happen-, they just wont. There is a zero percent chance of them ever even being tried on a big scale.

The solution is to have a serious discussion about taxing and more importantly retraining. Just like the coal mine jobs might be going away completely in favour of solar/wind related jobs, the marketing jobs at Microsoft are going away in favour of work within Cloud services. People can and should be retrained, and a discussion regarding potential legal obligations to allow retraining within a company - that would be an interesting discussion.

Top Bottom