• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft tracking their eyes on the FOVE VR headset.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sounds to me like they are scrambling to secure a VR solution for when the market possibly explodes with Oculus and Project Morpheus.

Just buying a company and trying to make it work with the Xbox sounds a bit messy though, I wonder if this means that they haven't done any proper in-house protoyping for a real head-tracking Microsoft-branded VR headset. (Not talking about AR stuff like Fortaleza)

Alx

Sounds to me like they are scrambling to secure a VR solution for when the market possibly explodes with Oculus and Project Morpheus.

Just buying a company and trying to make it work with the Xbox sounds a bit messy though, I wonder if this means that they haven't done any proper in-house protoyping for a real head-tracking Microsoft-branded VR headset. (Not talking about AR stuff like Fortaleza)

MS Research has been working on many topics linked to head mounted displays, so it's not like they're just empty-handed and playing catch-up. Besides, any head tracking they develop for AR would also be functional for VR, both will have similar hardware and latency constraints.
Finally, they're not buying FOVE, but "incubating" them.

Something something retina scanner something NSA wet dream something this and that and what-no.

Tinfoilery aside, I literally can't wait till this VR development period reaches top gear.

Sitting in a bucket seat playing project cars with a wheel and pedals paired with a fully developed VR experience?

I want it, inside of me.

Come on tech world, make it happen.
What exactly is tinfoilery about it?

Hmm I don't think Nintendo will follow the crowd and do virtual reality. Beside Virtual reality will be a fad, I don't see it sticking around.
Nintendo won't make VR in the traditional enclosed sense, but I see them further researching glasses-free 3D and head/eye tracking and doing something with that.

Now watch MS downplay VR when their competition beats them to market by a year+. Just like every other MS hardware type ever (Xbox, Zune, Surface).

I hope people reference this thread when the idiot PR downplaying starts rolling in.

Seanspeed

Banned

It could be messy, but if they're buying a company that is ahead of the game with eye-tracking, then they'll at least be well-placed to provide a hell of a game-changer.

XB1 VR with eye tracking could theoretically trump PS4 VR with no eye tracking by a massive margin in terms of rendering capability. It would trump high end PC VR as well.

Question is - how far along are FOVE with foveated rendering? Having eye-tracking functionality in a headset is probably fairly do-able at the moment, but making it useful for something is another matter entirely.

Either way, if Microsoft really are getting in the VR game, then its overall fantastic news for all of us. The larger the potential market and the more large manufacturers backing it, the more willing content creators will be in developing large-budget VR experiences.

So it wasn't a fad? Which motion control games are you looking forward to right now?

So it needs to be a game entirely devoted to motion controls to count? Don't be stupid.

I'm really looking forward to playing Driveclub with DS4's improved SIXAXIS. Lower latency sensors and the gyro are gonna make a big difference.

Seanspeed

Banned
So it needs to be a game entirely devoted to motion controls to count? Don't be stupid.

I'm really looking forward to playing Driveclub with DS4's improved SIXAXIS. Lower latency sensors and the gyro are gonna make a big difference.
How does any of this affect DriveClub?

shandy706

I'm not really eating the kool-aid with VR, but racing games and horror games would probably be a blast.

ivqMCRHHNUTxe.jpg

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm not really eating the kool-aid with VR, but racing games and horror games would probably be a blast.

Racing games are indeed a blast. Fzero gx is probably the best racing experience atm imo, but im not in the project cars beta. Horror games? Too chicken. Flight games are amazing though, an enormous improvement over a conventional screen. Translates into tangible benefits in game, too. VR players are destroying non-vr players in elite dangerous.

I thought Apple bought them out?

Apple bought the guys who crated Kinect 1, Kinect 2 was created by the Israeli guys Ms purchase.

The main difference in their work is the depth sensing algorithm. K1 uses structured light, K2 uses time of flight.

Seanspeed

Banned
Racing games are indeed a blast. Fzero gx is probably the best racing experience atm imo, but im not in the project cars beta. Horror games? Too chicken. Flight games are amazing though, an enormous improvement over a conventional screen. Translates into tangible benefits in game, too. VR players are destroying non-vr players in elite dangerous.
Racing games(racing sims particularly) will also provide a very real competitive advantage once there's better visibility. An accurate perception of depth is a game-changer not only in terms of immersiveness, but also in judging your placement on the track. Not sure if the DK2's 1080p will be enough to see this benefit come to fruition, but I'm absolutely certain 1440p will.

nib95

Banned
Microsoft playing catch up this gen as per usual, but this is a great move none the less. Get in there early whilst you can still gain traction in the field.

Krejlooc

Banned

Racing games(racing sims particularly) will also provide a very real competitive advantage once there's better visibility. An accurate perception of depth is a game-changer not only in terms of immersiveness, but also in judging your placement on the track. Not sure if the DK2's 1080p will be enough to see this benefit come to fruition, but I'm absolutely certain 1440p will.

Right, currently racing games suffer from a short visibility due to resolution, but ive yet to tru a racing game with dk2. Iracing and assetto corsa were unplayable for me on dk1 because I couldnt see curves ahead well. Despite this, you could feel the benefit of turning your head during a drift. Provides the same benefit being able to orient yourself in a flight sim provides in vr.

Bumping this due to the release of the Rift for pre-ordering yesterday. Any recent word from these guys. I'm looking around but not finding much.

Top Bottom