• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's FY13 Q3 Results + Earnings Conference Call at 2:30 PM PT

Oemenia

Banned
Guess 100 million could happen but at the current rate itll definitely hit 85m? Who knows if MS can really do one they could end up beating the Wii.

MS is making a nice profit on the system and I dont see third-parties dropping it because of the massive userbase (along with that of the PS3s). Theres still room for hardware revision and more importantly price drops along with a huge huge library of games I dont see it stop selling for a good while.

abadguy

Banned
When people don't like a company's practices they start looking for negatives in their business model. Maybe that leads to them trying to tell themselves that the company is on the downside of things...either way it doesn't really matter, because, these numbers are clear.

There's that. There is also the fact that some fans of certain companies aren't very fond of any sort of real competition, that "threatens" their chosen corporation's dominance in any way.

Izick

There's that. There is also the fact that some fans of certain companies aren't very fond of any sort of real competition, that "threatens" their chosen corporation's dominance in any way.

Most definitely.

I just don't get why though, because I think Microsoft was the best thing to happen to Sony. If Microsoft never entered, we may have never seen the PS4 that was unveiled a little while ago. A console that's focused on appeasing gamers interests, more so than what the PS3 did, and that can be argued that it's a gamers machine as well. The fact of the matter is that Sony is trying to gain market share again that Microsoft stole this generation, and they know that they can do that by catering to the people who drive early hardware and software sales, us.

That's why I always want there to be good competition as long as there are consoles. The one console future is ideal for some things, but it could be a complete consumer nightmare in other ways. You may get all the games on the platform, but you have to pay double for them or something. Just examples, but you get the idea. Companies like to take advantage of situations as much as they can.

Jesus Christ. I was a freshman in highschool when the 360 launched. I am now a senior in college. This has been way too damn long of a gen

Crazy how time flies, isn't it? Just think of the person you were then and the person you are now. It's crazy how much changes in 7 or 8 years.

They never do. Xbox is just a sideline for MS. Anyway, it seems like they had a decent quarter. It's be nice if they'd get Win Phone out of ED&D so we can get a better idea of the business.

i notice quite a few people with wp8 phones.

not to stereotype, but it usually seems like the lower income people. it's a smartphone, they dont really care what kind, and it's usually free on contract.

i think that's wp's niche right now. i dont know it's ideal at all obviously, but it's something, better than nothing.

balmer needed to go so long ago. clearly no vision at the company. guarantee xbox would have never happened if it was up to him (xbox was gates deal)

A dominating corporation will dominate the customer in the end I don't understand why anyone would wan't to get that kind of treatment in the end.

Rat Salad

Banned
People actually thought Sony and Microsoft were in the same financial boat. I even read suggestions that Sony were on the "up" and Microsoft was on the "down".

Quite delusional aren't they. I luv when reality hits, then that bunch goes suddenly quiet. :)

Hindle

Banned
Spend some of this money on new games MS. I want a repeat of 2007, and they have more then enough money to pull it off.

Edit. Id say they can hit 100m, they just need to release a best of Halo bundle, consisting of Halo 3,4 and Reach at £99

Spend some of this money on new games MS. I want a repeat of 2007, and they have more then enough money to pull it off.

Edit. Id say they can hit 100m, they just need to release a best of Halo bundle, consisting of Halo 3,4 and Reach at £99

Rubbish - a kinect bundle will sell way more than that. Like it or not, kinect did more to sell 360 than halo has this gen.

PhatSaqs

Banned
We gamers might want it but it doesnt make financial sense for them to do that ever again. If they do i'll be happily surprised.

Discusguy

not to stereotype, but it usually seems like the lower income people. it's a smartphone, they dont really care what kind, and it's usually free on contract.

i think that's wp's niche right now. i dont know it's ideal at all obviously, but it's something, better than nothing.

I could have sworn that was Androids general user base. They just love those "free" apps. I'm just going by the people that I know that have Android devices.

abadguy

Banned
Most definitely.

I just don't get why though, because I think Microsoft was the best thing to happen to Sony. If Microsoft never entered, we may have never seen the PS4 that was unveiled a little while ago. A console that's focused on appeasing gamers interests, more so than what the PS3 did, and that can be argued that it's a gamers machine as well. The fact of the matter is that Sony is trying to gain market share again that Microsoft stole this generation, and they know that they can do that by catering to the people who drive early hardware and software sales, us.

That's why I always want there to be good competition as long as there are consoles. The one console future is ideal for some things, but it could be a complete consumer nightmare in other ways. You may get all the games on the platform, but you have to pay double for them or something. Just examples, but you get the idea. Companies like to take advantage of situations as much as they can.

A dominating corporation will dominate the customer in the end I don't understand why anyone would wan't to get that kind of treatment in the end.

Exactly. It was due to the success of XBL/XBLA that Sony decided to step up their PSN game in the first place, and i am hoping Sony's success with that prompts MS to look at how they can improve Live that much more next gen. Competition is always a good thing, but some just don't really see it that way. They want MS out of the game period, and at present Nintendo is no real competition to Sony. MS or Sony bowing out and leaving the other free reign would be bad.

balmer needed to go so long ago. clearly no vision at the company. guarantee xbox would have never happened if it was up to him (xbox was gates deal)

Today I learned I am a lower income individual.

Couldn't be that I didn't want to be a sheep with an iPhone, or don't like Android.

Hindle

Banned
We gamers might want it but it doesnt make financial sense for them to do that ever again. If they do i'll be happily surprised.

They'd completely dominate in NA if they do that again. As in take 90% of the market. Not to mention Europe where they'll gain in roads. Id say it makes perfect sense for them.

Subitai

Today I learned I am a lower income individual.

Couldn't be that I didn't want to be a sheep with an iPhone, or don't like Android.
Same.

I love my 822 and it wasn't even free at the time.

Also, XBL up 18%?

Sony must be going crazy looking that money rolling in thanks to sticky CoD players.

Subitai

If you buy an iPhone you're a sheep?
When it first came out? No. Now possibly to some people.

Anyway, MS profitable again in EDD with "momentum". Still doesn't mean they can't mess up their announcement w/ mandatory always online and used game blocking.

jvm

Gamasutra.
In case you'd like to see how the Xbox division is doing over time, here is the data I've got:
microsoft-annualize-revenue.png

This was from a column I had on Gamasutra here:
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/190926/Amid_challenges_US_video_game_retail_trudges_ahead.php

Ingeniero

Excellent numbers, kudos to MS.
This is great for the gaming industry, guarantees Xbox and games for years to come.

Doffen

But my Lumia 920 cost me $900+ off contract. Wad up?

noobie

Banned

itsgreen

has XBOX division remain intact or other product and services have been added to this division over time?

I just want to know if this curve is truly depicting XBOX 360 only or it has the numbers of other product and services too

All bunch of stuff including Kin, Zune, Surface, Skype, Windows Phone and a lot of other stuff

jvm

Gamasutra.
has XBOX division remain intact or other product and services have been added to this division over time?

I just want to know if this curve is truly depicting XBOX 360 only or it has the numbers of other product and services too
Yes, it is truly Xbox division revenue.

All bunch of stuff including Kin, Zune, Surface, Skype, Windows Phone and a lot of other stuff
Wrong. That graph is not EDD revenue. They clearly spell out what the changes are in Xbox division revenue, in absolute and relative values, and from that you can get the figures in my graph.

My graph does not include those other things.

Road

The chart by jvm seems to be game only.

Although I reached $7 billion instead of $7.3bn:

13Q1 1.8
12Q4 2.7
12Q3 1.3
12Q2 1.2

What did I do wrong?

Edit: beaten by the man himself while I was double checking the numbers... =P

jvm

Gamasutra.
The chart by jvm seems to be game only.

Although I reached $7 billion instead of $7.3bn:

13Q1 1.8
12Q4 2.7
12Q3 1.3
12Q2 1.2

What did I do wrong?

Edit: beaten by the man himself while I was double checking the numbers... =P
Thanks. I have these figures:
13Q11: $1,801
12Q4: $2,843
12Q3: $1,325
12Q2: $1,366

Road

Thanks. I have these figures:
12Q4: $2,843
12Q2: $1,366

The different ones. Here's what I did:

12Q4: "-$1.1bn; -29%". So (1.1/0.29) - 1.1 = 2.693

12Q2: "-113m"; no %. 11Q2 has nothing, but the entire FY: "+$2.7bn;+48%" => (2.7/0.48)+2.7 = 8.325 and the three previous quarters = 7.013 => 11Q2 = 8.325-7.013=1.312 => 12Q2 = 1.199

Are there different references?

jvm

Gamasutra.
The different ones. Here's what I did:

12Q4: "-$1.1bn; -29%". So (1.1/0.29) - 1.1 = 2.693

12Q2: "-113m"; no %. 11Q2 has nothing, but the entire FY: "+$2.7bn;+48%" => (2.7/0.48)+2.7 = 8.325 and the three previous quarters = 7.013 => 11Q2 = 8.325-7.013=1.312 => 12Q2 = 1.199

Are there different references?
Looks like my sheet always uses the quarter one year in the past plus the absolute difference given. I'll send you a PM with a link to my sheet, and we can has it out? I'd be happy for the extra eyes. :)

mujun

Sorry for the potentially silly question but how much has the 360 made (or lost) in total over its entire lifespan so far?

Road

Sorry for the potentially silly question but how much has the 360 made (or lost) in total over its entire lifespan so far?

While Microsoft mentions the Xbox only revenue, they don't show the profit/loss of games alone (only the combined Entertainment and Devices Division, with Skype, Windows Phone etc.).

So, the answer to your question is: only Microsoft knows.

Looks like my sheet always uses the quarter one year in the past plus the absolute difference given. I'll send you a PM with a link to my sheet, and we can has it out? I'd be happy for the extra eyes. :)

Thanks.

mujun

While Microsoft mentions the Xbox only revenue, they don't show the profit/loss of games alone (only the combined Entertainment and Devices Division, with Skype, Windows Phone etc.).

So, the answer to your question is: only Microsoft knows.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Do you think they are in the black on the whole venture?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Thanks.

Do you think they are in the black on the whole venture?
Xbox 360? Maaaaaaaybe. I think Xbox Live is ludicrously profitable. On the other hand they took a $1 billion hit for RROD.

If just looking at this generation, yeah, I think there's a good chance they're doing well.

mujun

Xbox 360? Maaaaaaaybe. I think Xbox Live is ludicrously profitable. On the other hand they took a $1 billion hit for RROD.

If just looking at this generation, yeah, I think there's a good chance they're doing well.

Thanks!

Xbox 360? Maaaaaaaybe.

i think it's a pretty solid yes by now. 8 years has helped a lot on that regard. after 5 years no, but add another 3 years of back-end profits, now you're talking.

just my gut feeling and i havent kept up so much with the numbers lately.

it's helped a lot that console prices have stayed so high. we've in essence seen only $100 price cut in 8 years (just a lot of value added etc)

Subitai

Do you have an idea as to whether Rare has finished paying for itself through Kinect titles?

Top Bottom