• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

antitrop

I was thinking more of people's lack of attention to SoM compared to other games this year rather than the pre-release reception itself. The impressions have been good for the game, but it seems that there isn't enough people talking about it (except these past few weeks, it seems to be building up heat).

It seems to me like these days, most people don't seem to be interested in talking about anything that isn't on the absolute cutting edge of visual presentation until word of mouth starts to build up near release.

So yeah, a cross-gen licensed game that is very similar to another absurdly popular and plentiful franchise isn't going to get all the hype, but it's not really an underdog, per se.

Sorry, I'm being pedantic, you're not wrong.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Look really fun, specifically all the orc army managing stuff, I love that kinda thing, even when it's just a minigame sorta situation like in AC4.

Really looking forward to it, glad to see monolith's return to greatness.

Lach

As a big LotR fan, there's something about the setting of the game that just doesn't ring right to me. I feel I would be a lot more hyped if it were an original setting.

I'm confident that its a really good game but I still think I'll wait for the steam holiday sale...

Levyne

Banned
Look really fun, specifically all the orc army managing stuff, I love that kinda thing, even when it's just a minigame sorta situation like in AC4.

Really looking forward to it, glad to see monolith's return to greatness.

I'm not sure I'd call it a minigame, but it's definitely a genre-straddling move that makes this a lot more interesting than some plain old action game. Very cool to see someone trying something just a little different.

DOWN

Banned
Anyone else think there's something cheap looking about the colors of this game? It's like they don't have much restraint or white balance...

EDIT: Like it's got that bad theatre lighting and CGI coloring look that The Hobbit has vs. the original trilogy.

Just strange bright lighting on certain things that doesn't fit the environment, and none of it looks believable.

4de02f1c2432de23574daf20a34164a30b150bb1.jpg

Corgi

Banned
People are going to be surprised by how good SoM is. This and Evolve are 2 games it's kind-of hard to "get" until you spend time with them. Then you're like "ooooooh."

spend time as in hands on, or play 40 hours first ala final fantasy 13?

Is there a demo?

Ridesh

Banned
I hope that Monolith pulled a Batman: Arkham Asylum with this game. I need something good to pass through october.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Cautiously excited for this. Still not sure whether to get the PC or Xbone version, PC should handle this game nicely, not maxed out, but I'm pretty close to the recommended configuration.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
People are going to be surprised by how good SoM is. This and Evolve are 2 games it's kind-of hard to "get" until you spend time with them. Then you're like "ooooooh."

<slowly nods>

$37.50 with voucher on GMG right now. I'm in for PC version. Just in time for 970 card. =)

HowZatOZ

Banned
I really hope this does well, it looks utterly amazing and full of potential. If it does generate enough for Warner Bros. to be satisfied I'm hoping they get the team to create another LOTR game going even further back, maybe to the very first King of Rohan, Eorl.

Also, I do wonder how "open" this game is? I can't remember if they ever mentioned it outside of the initial reveal trailer, but recent gameplay trailers suggest it has a more mission structure like take.

I really hope this does well, it looks utterly amazing and full of potential. If it does generate enough for Warner Bros. to be satisfied I'm hoping they get the team to create another LOTR game going even further back, maybe to the very first King of Rohan, Eorl.

Also, I do wonder how "open" this game is? I can't remember if they ever mentioned it outside of the initial reveal trailer, but recent gameplay trailers suggest it has a more mission structure like take.

It's more zone based ala GTA's city unlock structure from the earlier games.

Adnor

Banned
Oh man I hit recommended or better in everything except GPU, where I just hit the minimum with a GTX 460, I think I'll wait until I upgrade it next year :(

Grief.exe

There are so many zones in the north that would be perfect for a 'Shadows of' sequel.

I believe Shadows of Angmar was a suggestion in the other thread.

I'm still in the 780 Ghetto until the 6th of Oct when my 970 arrives.

Clearly that ~10% difference is going to ruin me!

Downsampling, MFAA, Gsync

So good.gif

Oh man I hit recommended or better in everything except GPU, where I just hit the minimum with a GTX 460, I think I'll wait until I upgrade it next year :(

Minimum/recommended requirement are always bullshit.

Downsampling, MFAA, Gsync

So good.gif

Already got my 780 hooked up to my brand new G-sync monitor actually.

I guess Alien: Isolation will be the first new game I smash out with the 970. At least I'm getting a good price on my 780 - I will have spent about 140 dollarydoos on the upgrade to 970.

I'm still in the 780 Ghetto until the 6th of Oct when my 970 arrives.

Clearly that ~10% difference is going to ruin me!
Hahaha. I'm keeping my 780 for another year. There just isn't anything released as of now that I can't play, and play well at that. Unless you want that new GFX card smell, I'd see no reason for someone to upgrade from a 780. That said, that new GFX card smell sure is nice.
If you like the smell of melted plastic.

Already got my 780 hooked up to my brand new G-sync monitor actually.

I guess Alien: Isolation will be the first new game I smash out with the 970. At least I'm getting a good price on my 780 - I will have spent about 140 dollarydoos on the upgrade to 970.

That said if I could upgrade for $140 I'd do it in a heartbeat.

HowZatOZ

Banned
There are so many zones in the north that would be perfect for a 'Shadows of' sequel.

I believe Shadows of Angmar was a suggestion in the other thread.

Oh shit Angmar would be amazing just because of its snowy mountainside. If it is as successful as Batman was for Rocksteady, I could easily see them just extracting the gameplay mechanics and plopping it into a new area.

It's more zone based ala GTA's city unlock structure from the earlier games.

Ah awesome, just as good.

Adnor

Banned
Minimum/recommended requirement are always bullshit.

I know they are, but the game doesn't have a demo or a benchmark to really know how it will run.

Good Gaben, man. Get a 970 this instant. Lol

I want to, but I don't have the money and I will not have it until at least february, and that's if they don't hike up the price too much here.

But yeah, knowing myself I know I'll get it sometime before I upgrade my GPU, I'm really weak lol

I know they are, but the game doesn't have a demo or a benchmark to really know how it will run.

I want to, but I don't have the money and I will not have it until at least february, and that's if they don't hike up the price too much here.

But yeah, knowing myself I know I'll get it sometime before I upgrade my GPU, I'm really weak lol

No. We must stand strong. February is when I plan to upgrade coincidentally enough.

Has there been a reason given for staggered release dates? Waiting untilt the 8th for my PS4 version seems a bit excessive, even for shipping to Aus.

Jb

Has there been a reason given for staggered release dates? Waiting untilt the 8th for my PS4 version seems a bit excessive, even for shipping to Aus.

Different dev for the PC/current gen and last gen versions, so different QA process I guess?

Wookieomg

Great OT, Levyne! Really love how it all came together.

My hype levels are really high for this. :D And lol at that title. Sogood.gif

J3ffro

Fantastic OT, you've done nothing more than make me start counting the hours - and I've been an on the fence guy until the last few days. Starting to think my time in Destiny is rapidly coming to a close.

Fantastic OT, you've done nothing more than make me start counting the hours - and I've been an on the fence guy until the last few days. Starting to think my time in Destiny is rapidly coming to a close.

I'm thinking Destiny was probably a bigger blessing for WB than one would initially imagine.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Quite a few people in here claiming the game is good already. Did I miss something? I'm so tempted to grab the GMG discount on this for Steam, but I'm having a hard time biting on preorders nowadays.

antitrop

Quite a few people in here claiming the game is good already. Did I miss something? I'm so tempted to grab the GMG discount on this for Steam, but I'm having a hard time biting on preorders nowadays.

GDJustin is an IGN guy, so I would be inclined to trust him.

I want this so bad but I am absolutely broke, and I had no idea this was coming out so soon! I thought it was next year. D:

I want this on my PC so baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. I hate not having a job, fucking job market fml.

Be that surprise AAA game that becomes a GOTY contender like Wolfie.

I love emergent shit, this could beat Far Cry 4 in that aspect. Don't let me down, Hell Hawk!

Top Bottom