• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle East: PS4 selling 4x as much as PS3

ZhugeEX

Banned
Seriously wander how many countries they include in the "Region". is it UAE Qatar Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Egypt.?

See my post above. Robert said it's GCC countries

Bahrain
Kuwait
Qatar
Saudi Arabia
Oman
United Arab Emirates

Info is from Dec 2014.

Is it because most of the young population in oil rich KSA and UAE are

1. Rich as Fu·*
2. Bored because alcohol is prohibited, so people turn to video games for entertainment.
God so much bullshit in one post.

Abu Dhabi has oil but no other emirate. Dubai has none for example.

Alcohol not prohibited in the UAE.

Not everyone is rich.

Why post stuff you just made up?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Another thing Robert said, which is quite predictable really, is that in the past PS2 sales and PS3 sales were very slow in the first few years of release but towards the end of the generation sales would increase to a high point.

This is a trend that a lot of emerging gaming markets see.

This time it's been the opposite with the PS4 seeing very front loaded sales from day 1 and the PS4 has been selling well above expectations. If this trend continues we could see the Middle East as quite a big overall market.

All about the price here, alot of people here in Egypt have been getting PS4s. Compare that to the PS3, it wasn't after 2 years that people started buying them.

1. Rich as Fu·*
2. Bored because alcohol is prohibited, so people turn to video games for entertainment.

Ignorant twat.

Alcohol isn't some be and end all elixir of life and most of the young population rich? hahaha. I guess we can draw the same conclusions for the West and Japan then?

Good news, it's great to see companies who focus on giving the gamers what they want rather than gimmicks get rewarded.
Sony is the lady

QUczF.gif
Nah, the PS4 is the lady. Sony is the Pimp who rented her out.

Grey-market penetration is huge in the Middle East. You would find the same retailer selling an official, local PS4/3 while also carrying an imported version from the US / EU / JP regions.

Mista

Banned
Yeah, my friend got an autograph and a photo with Kojima when he visited the UAE. I also remember the first time I tried a demo of Bayonetta in one of those conventions. Needless to say that demo is what sold me on the game.

I just wish there are more middle eastern devs, some people are ridiculously talented.

There are a lot of indie devs in my county (Saudi Arabia) and they're so talented. We just need people to notice it.

Mista

Banned

1. Rich as Fu·*

No you silly ignorant person

1- We arent all Rich as F**
2- Alcohol is prohibited in our religion but UAE, Bahrain and Qatar sells Alcohol

Who do you think you're? Respect yourself.

Yaqoub

1. Rich as Fu·*

Hilarious.

The Kuwaiti scene here is pretty good, and it's Sony-land here, much like other Arab countries but there is a rather large Xbox user base as well.

Good to see gaming booming in our region. Especially with developers supporting the language.

Arabic support from Sony's end is a welcome and much appreciated effort.

Javin98

Banned
1 million sold in the Middle East shortly? Damn! The gaming market there is actually much bigger than I thought. And to think that the PS4 sales in the Middle East are just slightly behind Japan.... Good lawd!

1. Rich as Fu·*

A thread about the middle east always have to have at least 1 arrogantly ignorant troll driveby shitposting.

Didn't see you drawing dumb conclusions when PS4 shattered sales records in the west.

A thread about the middle east always have to have at least 1 arrogantly ignorant troll driveby shitposting.

Didn't see you drawing dumb conclusions when PS4 shattered sales records in the west.
He won't come back until there is another Dubai or GCC thread in OT to spout more bullshit in.

Motwera

Banned
I can tell you that gaming there is so big, even with banned games, that some malls have gaming lounges for everybody to try games on..
Especially that Sony is even bigger than Nintendo and Microsoft as a gaming brand there tells you a lot about brand loyalty for GCC/MENA region

ZhugeEX

Banned
Call of duty, Minecraft...Soccer is pretty huge (FIFA and PES)

There's also a very dedicated fanbase for RPGs and imported games ala Super Robot Wars.

I'd add driving games to this list as well.

Isn't GT quite popular? Also fighting games.

Hilarious.

The Kuwaiti scene here is pretty good, and it's Sony-land here, much like other Arab countries but there is a rather large Xbox user base as well.

Good to see gaming booming in our region. Especially with developers supporting the language.

Arabic support from Sony's end is a welcome and much appreciated effort.

damn it, i read "the kawaii scene is pretty good". got me wondering why bring it to the discussion about sales lol

Just imagine if MS starts selling Xbx1 to other middle eastern countries such as SA, Turkey, Iran, Iraq, Israel, etc. That's roughly 300 million potential customers.
If MS can manage to convince just 1% to buy Xbx1 then they should be able to overtake Sony's lead in the region and close the world wide gap.
Lol this is still going. 'Twas a good time.

'Twas a good time indeed.

vesvci

Banned
So since the UAE is filthy rich, this bodes well for Sony. Great news for the PS4.

I'm saving up for my tiger pet, so when I move there I can easily fit in.

MegaMelon

Sonys really doing well with the ps4, personally gonna hold off till whenever the next revision is as I can't afford one right now.

In This Post: Drinking alcohol is the only form of entertainment humans have in 2015. I'm dumbfounded by this stupidity.

silva1991

I've honestly never thought about gaming in the Middle East, what games are big there?

Besides the obvious cod, fifa/pes, racing games and minecraft Uncharted is popular

edit: silly me how can I forget about GTA? it's prpbably the biggest game in Middle East even bigger than Fifa

Sonys really doing well with the ps4, personally gonna hold off till whenever the next revision is as I can't afford one right now.

In This Post: Drinking alcohol is the only form of entertainment humans have in 2015. I'm dumbfounded by this stupidity.

It's no more stupid than the post below. ITT: people without passports who watch Fox news comment on the middle east.

So since the UAE is filthy rich, this bodes well for Sony. Great news for the PS4.

I'm saving up for my tiger pet, so when I move there I can easily fit in.

lefantome

Well now that we're getting PCs that can theoretically do everything consoles can, they should be. I just- I don't understand, all the calculations check out... I...

There must be some mistake. Surely Steam Machines will rectify this.

well it has been the opposite, PC have been able to do much more than the consoles can. They still do (I'm speaking about gaming related capabilities)

Ushay

God so much bullshit in one post.

Abu Dhabi has oil but no other emirate. Dubai has none for example.

Alcohol not prohibited in the UAE.

Not everyone is rich.

Why post stuff you just made up?

Phat Michael, where are you from, jus curious buddy :)

And yeah, that guy is full of shit.

Milamber

And here come the ignorant racist comments of the UAE.

EDIT: Almost everyone I know in Dubai got a PS3 and 4. The damn thing is selling like shawarma.

EGOMON

To people asking about the popular games here:
1. Football games
2. Shooter games
3. Racing games
4. Fighting games
Popularity are in order, but there are dedicated gamers for RPGs and other genres

Hakoom

the best thing about gaming here (bahrain) is that we get games 1~2 weeks before official release dates :p
no release embargos here lol

Top Bottom