• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millions of Men Are Missing From the Job Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The U-6 number tracks discouraged workers.

U-5, actually. U-6 is underemployment - it adds includes people who currently work but would like to work more hours.

Kill3r7

The U-6 number tracks discouraged workers.

U-5, actually. U-6 is underemployment - it adds includes people who currently work but would like to work more hours.

• U1 : Percentage of labor force unemployed 15 weeks or longer.
  • U2 : Percentage of labor force who lost jobs or completed temporary work.
  • U3 : Official unemployment rate per ILO definition.
  • U4 : U3 + "discouraged workers", or those who have stopped looking for work because current economic conditions make them believe that no work is available for them.
  • U5 : U4 + other "marginally attached workers", or "loosely attached workers", or those who "would like" and are able to work, but have not looked for work recently.
  • U6 : U5 + Part time workers who want to work full time, but cannot due to economic reasons.

Izayoi

Banned
Tylenol and ibuprofen are counted as painkillers - those numbers are more than a little misleading. (I take Tylenol frequently - I've got a bad back.)

Still, though... the correlation is pretty stunning. I think that, more than anything, it shows a failing in our work culture. We are unable to accommodate those who need accommodation, and instead expect folks to "suck it up".

It's a shame, really.

atomsk

Party Pooper
fucked up my back almost 9 years ago, saw a dozen doctors, took every test, still no concrete answers

now I pay the bills with youtube videos, though most of the internet says that isn't a "real job"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
House husbands are becoming more common as women get paid more and more. Women are becoming way more successful academically (might already be more successful period?) so I wouldn't be shocked if some of this was a bit of role reversal.

When I lived in Houston, I noticed it wasn't uncommon to have stay at home dads due to women making very generous salaries in oil and gas.

Kill3r7

Tylenol and ibuprofen are counted as painkillers - those numbers are more than a little misleading. (I take Tylenol frequently - I've got a bad back.)

Still, though... the correlation is pretty stunning. I think that, more than anything, it shows a failing in our work culture. We are unable to accommodate those who need accommodation, and instead expect folks to "suck it up".

It's a shame, really.

They are analgesics after all but I know what you mean. First thing that comes to mind when someone mentions painkillers is Oxy not Tylenol or Advil.

Quixzlizx

In case people aren't understanding, the "20 percent of men in the workforce taking any painkillers" quote includes stuff like Tylenol and Advil.

Edit: Guess I was beaten.

entremet

House husbands are becoming more common as women get paid more and more. Women are becoming way more successful academically (might already be more successful period?) so I wouldn't be shocked if some of this was a bit of role reversal.

When I lived in Houston, I noticed it wasn't uncommon to have stay at home dads due to women making very generous salaries in oil and gas.

Not yet.

But a lot of this is due to the decimation of blue collar job staples that have provided good living for men for generations.

Interestingly enough, these jobs were never appealing to women as a job seeking cohort (the reasons here could be endless) so they're less affected as a cohort.

Incidentally, this is the Trump voter. Disaffected white males that feel that their country as let them down due to offshoring, immigration, and pandering to Wall Street.

The Peter Thiel techno libertarians would tell them to "learn to code!", but this is unrealistic advice for someone working a factory job for 25 years, laid off and still paying a mortgage.

Wilsongt

I feel like I'm a sucker for working a job. I feel like I'm out of the circle of those "in the know" who know how to work the system to get free money and not work.

"Ohhhh my back hurts. Oh, and I'm tired a lot. Can't work doc. Now give me those disability checks."

Disability is actually really difficult to get.
Especially if you are under 50.

IISANDERII

And because they're out of work for so long, they're no longer counted as unemployed so the unemployment rate goes down, leading many to believe that things are improving.

And because they're out of work for so long, they're no longer counted as unemployed so the unemployment rate goes down, leading many to believe that things are improving.

We've been fully conditioned into the "new normal" so much that we even look at unemployment numbers with a skewed reality.

About the painkiller stat:

Just another reason why a country needs universal healthcare (Medicare for all in an American context). When getting proper treatment of the cause of your health issues can lead you into financial ruin, people opt to treat the symptoms. In the end, this leads to a lot of preventable suffering, and lowers tax income as many people can't work due to health issues

entremet

Just another reason why a country needs universal healthcare (Medicare for all in an American context). When getting proper treatment of the cause of your health issues can lead you into financial ruin, people opt to treat the symptoms. In the end, this leads to a lot of preventable suffering, and lowers tax income as many people can't work due to health issues

This is a very good point.

What's the stat for women?

Employment rate is > 2 percentage points below the 2007 rate. The St. Louis Fed compiles data for labor participation and employment rates. The title of the thread should be changed because it's very sexist by not acknowledging the challenges young women are facing in the market.

Kill3r7

To be fair, back pain or issues tend to be poorly understood and can be crippling regardless access to healthcare. I know a fair number of people who have access to amazing healthcare who struggle with back pain and in all likelihood will do so for the rest of their lives. A few of them have traveled all over the world in hopes of finding a remedy.

entremet

Employment rate is > 2 percentage points below the 2007 rate. The St. Louis Fed compiles data for labor participation and employment rates. The title of the thread should be changed because it's very sexist by not acknowledging the challenges young women are facing in the market.

The article is talking about issues for this particular cohort.

It's not saying that women don't have their own problem. Highlighting a problem for a particular population doesn't demean the needs of another.

That's borderline silly and it's same dumb logic behind All Lives Matter.

The NYT editorial board has highlighted the issue women face many times in other articles, but that's another topic and thread. Let's not forget that men's issues affect women and vice versa. We're all intertwined. Unemployed men in pain would be a huge cause of stress for wives, girlfriends and daughters.

We really gotta end this war of sexes nonsense we are still on.

It's a shame, really.

In case people aren't understanding, the "20 percent of men in the workforce taking any painkillers" quote includes stuff like Tylenol and Advil.

Edit: Guess I was beaten.

It's not good at all to take acetaminophen or ibuprofen regularly, and it's unlikely the survey just happened to catch an assload of men randomly taking Advil for a day or two. It's still a problem.

Men in the US are in crisis and it's going to continue to get worse. Other than the increasingly crazy propaganda coming from the right it's the primary factor that explains Donald's rise. If action isn't taken soon more Trump like figures will follow.

What's the percentage of men in this age range that are holed up with their parents? And what's going to happen in ten/fifteen years when their parents will die of old age?

Men in the US are in crisis and it's going to continue to get worse. Other than the increasingly crazy propaganda coming from the right it's the primary factor that explains Donald's rise. If action isn't taken soon more Trump like figures will follow.

What crisis?

What's the percentage of men in this age range that are holed up with their parents? And what's going to happen in ten/fifteen years when their parents will die of old age?
I hope a big ol' life insurance policy for their sake.

It's only gonna get harder for them. Lots of Boomers can't retire, so it's more people looking for the same number of jobs.

Jeels

It's not good at all to take acetaminophen or ibuprofen regularly, and it's unlikely the survey just happened to catch an assload of men randomly taking Advil for a day or two. It's still a problem.

Is there research on this? Advil and Tylenol are advertised to be taken once a day...

This is really sad...

It's also notable that this type of study also casts a very small amount of light on why health care costs keep rising. Societal problems -> Higher medical bills.

FyreWulff

Is there research on this? Advil and Tylenol are advertised to be taken once a day...

I've only seen Advil (aspirin) advertised that way and it's usually the low dose version under doctor supervision.

You're not supposed to take aceto longer than you need to because it wrecks your liver if taken too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom