• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos planned to 'publicy name undocumented students' in cancelled talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms.Galaxy

To people saying he has the right to express himself but don't align with his views : he'll use that argument to cause as much harm as he can.

This. Fascists love the "freedom of speech" argument when it benefits them to push their agenda, which is to case harm and spread their agenda. Once they have power, they will take that away. As Goebbels once said:

We enter parliament in order to supply ourselves, in the arsenal of democracy, with its own weapons. If democracy is so stupid as to give us free tickets and salaries for this bear's work, that is its affair. We do not come as friends, nor even as neutrals. We come as enemies. As the wolf bursts into the flock, so we come.

Do not give them that power.

Ms.Galaxy

Does the American Constitution grant him free speech if he isn't even a citizen?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It only says people, and immigrants and visitors are given those rights as long as they are in our lands.

VegaShinra

Of course it is, the constitution protects everyone and anyone in America, regardless of their citizenship or even if they got in legally.

Yeah, it may seem like a dumb question but I had seen people use the line that the Constitution only applied to citizens in weird ways to justify the immigration bans earlier in the week.

I'm going to say it: unfettered free speech is a disease.

This is no different from someone yelling fire in a crowded theater. Slippery slope can fuck off; it's not bad to have certain limits. Fall on your sword when it actually matters.

Magus1234

any "berkeley college republicans" statement attempting to justify why they invited this guy?

This was the only article I had on that. Also eludes to some other instance where some random dude gets caked on the street. The club was told to lay low for their safety. I mean you wont find me ever hitting anyone, call me what you will, I aint going back to jail for them, but it does get results.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/233480000-story

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
For what it's worth, the sources are hearsay, and Milo denies it, but given Milo's past behavior, I'm not going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also, Milo's book is #1 on Amazon's bestseller list now. It used to be #732 a few days ago.

Ridisc

Banned
For what it's worth, the sources are hearsay, and Milo denies it, but given Milo's past behavior, I'm not going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also, Milo's book is #1 on Amazon's bestseller list now. It used to be #732 a few days ago.

Dude won

irony is he doesnt charge for his appearances at all so the protests didnt stop him profiting from this. Was listening to Dave Rubin talk today and he was so right, guy has played the left like a fiddle.

Siegcram

Dude won

irony is he doesnt charge for his appearances at all so the protests didnt stop him profiting from this. Was listening to Dave Rubin talk today and he was so right, guy has played the left like a fiddle.
The left isn't spending money on his book though.

So he gets some Fox lemmings to buy his book, who cares. People at Berkley stood up for what's right.

Ridisc

Banned
The left isn't spending money on his book though.

So he gets some Fox lemmings to buy his book, who cares. People at Berkley stood up for what's right.

All of his highest rated videos come from people invading his platform, his actual speeches, the ones where he talks from start to finish, tend to not get much traction. He makes a career of being provocative because he knows the bait is too tempting.

Its entirely possible that not rioting was a better use of time than giving him a national stage.

so1337

Dude won

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'd rather protesters stand up to this waste of skin.

All of his highest rated videos come from people invading his platform, his actual speeches, the ones where he talks from start to finish, tend to not get much traction. He makes a career of being provocative because he knows the bait is too tempting.

Its entirely possible that not rioting was a better use of time than giving him a national stage.

And what, let him publicly name the undocumented students? What's your proposed tactic other than to say claim any outcome is "he won"?

Chumley

Banned
Because what the fuck else was he going to do. Go up and be a decent human being for once?

This is a level beyond his usual "liberals are pieces of shit and women should be in camps" thing. I honestly don't even understanding how publicly outing people is legal and protected by free speech. He is directly responsible for anything and everything that happens to these people as a result of it. If someone commits suicide as a result of harassment from his followers, for example, he should be sent to prison for murder.

This guy has been around for a long time. Ignoring him didn't do anything, only made him more popular. Either way this was going to end up happening. Resisting him and fighting back, violently if necessary, is literally the only option left. It scared Richard Spencer into fucking off so clearly it's working.

Ridisc

Banned
No shit there is.

And do you not think this is the worst case scenario? Absolutely nothing was accomplished to the benefit of anyone, he has multiple platforms, MORE platforms now, if you think you have won because you stopped him named undocumented students then if he is intent on doing it you basically made his microphone bigger. Now if he mentions them its national news.

Chumley

Banned
And do you not think this is the worst case scenario? Absolutely nothing was accomplished to the benefit of anyone, he has multiple platforms, MORE platforms now, if you think you have won because you stopped him named undocumented students then if he is intent on doing it you basically made his microphone bigger. Now if he mentions them its national news.

It doesn't matter. Rolling over is not an option. You resist and fight them at every single turn.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Dude won

oh Dave Rubin's one to talk.

Milo played him like a fiddle. He makes speeches that include Rubin as an anecdote of being an ashamed liberal. Rubin is totally compromised and used by Milo.

And simply letting this Nazi talk was going to give him even more platforms. The right wing of this country is not rational. Has not been for a long time.

Blocking them, protesting, and even beating the F*** out of them is the solution.

Ridisc

Banned
It doesn't matter. Rolling over is not an option. You resist and fight them at every single turn.

All I am saying is if you become the proponents of the people you are fighting through your actions, however well intentioned, then there needs, naturally, to be a level of redress on your tactics going forward.

Chumley

Banned
All I am saying is if you become the proponents of the people you are fighting through your actions, however well intentioned, then there needs, naturally, to be a level of redress on your tactics going forward.

What? Because anarchists maced a girl and roughed a few other people up? What are you talking about?

Ridisc

Banned
And simply letting this Nazi talk was going to give him even more platforms. The right wing of this country is not rational. Has not been for a long time.

Blocking them, protesting, and even beating the F*** out of them is the solution.

Hes not a nazi, I have heard many of his speeches, I am not on his side.

Beating the fuck out of people immediately destroys your agument

In one post you have managed to both misinterpret your "enemy" and go to violence as a solution. If you continue in this mindset you will find yourself with many enemies and only one way to deal with them, sounds like facism to me.

Ridisc

Banned
Are you a Milo supporter?

I have known of milo for 3 years, I have watched more of his work than anyone here.

I am not a supporter of him, I think he is an opportunist, ive written long posts about him before but they mostly get ignored in the face of labels from people who have only heard about him from blog posts and here.

159 pages plus on this guy and we are back to a junior members stubborn training wheels argument. Smh. Do these come on index cards or something ?

I have known of milo for 3 years, I have watched more of his work than anyone here.

I am not a supporter of him, I think he is an opportunist, ive written long posts about him before but they mostly get ignored in the face of labels from people who have only heard about him from blog posts and here.

You don't support him not because he's a shitty person in every single respect but he's a fucking opportunist?

Ms.Galaxy

Hes not a nazi, I have heard many of his speeches, I am not on his side.

Beating the fuck out of people immediately destroys your agument

In one post you have managed to both misinterpret your "enemy" and go to violence as a solution. If you continue in this mindset you will find yourself with many enemies and only one way to deal with them, sounds like facism to me.

I know Nazis, I've met Nazis, I've even talked to Nazis, and I can say for certain, without a single doubt, the man is a neo nazi.

But if that's too outspoken for you, allow me to use the PC term for it, he's Alt-Right.

RedHill

Banned
So he's named undocumented immigrants before just for the sake of trolling? For example, I wouldn't include calling for the deportation of undocumented immigrants convicted of violent crimes in the same category as what he was allegedly planning at Berkeley.

I tried Googling it but the first couple pages only came back with Berkeley stuff.
He named and shamed a transwoman that attended a college publicly.

Ok I can see where this is going
Milo for president 2020
#mmaga
Milo make america great again
They can re use all that photo shop just copy paste an extra M
And Milo can skip up and down stairs like Obama.

C3y950PUcAAJAKx.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/renegadecut/status/827745263162908672

cop 1: how could they have found it?
cop 2: it's so well hidden
cop 1: we'll be up all night
cop 2: i'll get coffee and sherlock hats

Anyway, I hope schools start turning him away.

Ridisc

Banned
You don't support him not because he's a shitty person in every single respect but he's a fucking opportunist?

I dont support him because his views generally dont hold up to any real dissemination , he is actively afraid to debate people who know more than him, he is a coward and falls back on tropes that he does not fully understand in concept, but understands enough to exploit.

He is absolutely an opportunist, among other things

Maybe he's not at that point yet.

But he is a racist/sexist/xenophobe.

Potentially, yes, he is.

I know Milo. I know Milo very well. I have words. The best words. I think the left are more fascist than the right and shouldn't stand up for what's right but I'm totally not a supporter guys.

very obvious /s

I dont support him because his views generally dont hold up to any real dissemination , he is actively afraid to debate people who know more than him, he is a coward and falls back on tropes that he does not fully understand in concept, but understands enough to exploit.

He is absolutely an opportunist, among other things

Potentially, yes, he is.

Why don't you actually address the issue raised by the OP, that if he had been able to go on stage and talk that he would've publicly named undocumented students?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom