• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition REVIEW Thread

Epcott

1) It has the same touch screen features as the Vita version. They exist, but most people wish they were more extensive.

2) I haven't heard about HD rumble and I assume it doesn't have it.

3) The battery life is supposedly actually really good. One journo reported that 30 minutes of play drained only 8% of battery.

4) The survival mode has a Mario version if that's what you're asking.

5) Gud.

That all sounds good! Looking forward to playing it.

Meesh

Wow such great scores
And I still have to play Minecraft for the first time (probably the last person in the world)
Actually, no, I still have to play it too. For what it's worth I'm more compelled to try it on Switch than anywhere else right now. Portability, Nintendo skins... I'm down.

Fliesen

I just played for half an hour while having my morning coffee...

The crafting system is super whack - i'm still used to having to memorize those "shapes" of materials you have to create in your crafting table.
it's weird that it wouldn't default each 'column' to something i have the materials for. Like, i had plenty of wood, but i had to scroll down towards the right kind of wood plank, because of the specific type of tree i had cut down. Same for doors.

What really really bothered me is that - by default - "b" (the bottom face button) is 'drop item' ... i keep dropping my map and tools when trying to jump.

Beyond that, the game controls and runs fine. I already got my little dark starting cave dug into the side of the mountain ...

rikucrafter

Neo Member
I just played for half an hour while having my morning coffee...

The crafting system is super whack - i'm still used to having to memorize those "shapes" of materials you have to create in your crafting table.
it's weird that it wouldn't default each 'column' to something i have the materials for. Like, i had plenty of wood, but i had to scroll down towards the right kind of wood plank, because of the specific type of tree i had cut down. Same for doors.

What really really bothered me is that - by default - "b" (the bottom face button) is 'drop item' ... i keep dropping my map and tools when trying to jump.

Beyond that, the game controls and runs fine. I already got my little dark starting cave dug into the side of the mountain ...

In controls settings, you can swap B and A so that A becomes the drop item button :D

There's also a classic crafting option somewhere in the menu. It's kind of ass to try and make the classic crafting recipes with the buttons, but if you're used to memorising the recipes and want to put those skills to use, that's your best bet.

jariw

If Terraria and Stardew Valley get equally good Switch ports (I'm pretty sure the Terraria port will be fantastic, based on what they did with the Wii U version), there will be an amazing triple of indie (well, I still see MC as an indie game) sandbox games for big screen/on the go gaming.

RobbieNick

Can anyone tell me WHY this game has been such a big hit with kids? I mean, I used to play it on 360 quite a bit, but eventually, I got bored. I don't understand it's super long term appeal.

Flintty

Can anyone tell me WHY this game has been such a big hit with kids? I mean, I used to play it on 360 quite a bit, but eventually, I got bored. I don't understand it's super long term appeal.

Then you have no imagination I guess? Kids usually have great imagination and Minecraft taps into that. Building your dreams is fun.

ramparter

Banned
Wow such great scores
And I still have to play Minecraft for the first time (probably the last person in the world)

I haven't.

Reads like a good port.

I've never played it either.

I haven't, and I'm still not sure if the game would really be for me yet. I'm not the most creative person in the world.

I haven't. I still don't ''get'' it.

Me neither... One day.. who knows

Micerider

As a person who only ever played Minecraft in alpha and never gave a look at the final product, this is probably the one version I will eventually consider.

JayBabay

Even though I don't play this, I'm glad Switch got a port this early, it can only help drive sales further from a section of the market that is really invested in this type of game.

Fliesen

In controls settings, you can swap B and A so that A becomes the drop item button :D

There's also a classic crafting option somewhere in the menu. It's kind of ass to try and make the classic crafting recipes with the buttons, but if you're used to memorising the recipes and want to put those skills to use, that's your best bet.

yeah, i know - it's just a matter of getting used to the way it works by default. Not like dropping shit with "a" is any less dangerous ;)

and crafting the 'old-school' style with a console cursor sounds super bothersome... so i'm happy about that feature.

Top Bottom