• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Switch details: 60fps, 13x bigger worlds than WiiU, WiiU world transfers

GulAtiCa

Playing this heavily on the PS4. Think I might get this. Being able to take this on the go, or better yet, play anywhere. Esp play while TV on is a big plus for me. (Yes yes, I know I could use my Vita. But playing Remote play Vita of PS4 Minecraft was laggy for me and uncomfortable due to lack of buttons/etc)

baconcow

I missed where they mentioned it was 60 fps in portable mode, but that's great to hear. Was hoping for maps as big as the PS4 version, but glad they are not as small as the PS3 version. I don't really understand the limitation of map size when the Pocket Edition is now unlimited and can be played on tablets with inferior specifications to the Switch.

Playing this heavily on the PS4. Think I might get this. Being able to take this on the go, or better yet, play anywhere. Esp play while TV on is a big plus for me. (Yes yes, I know I could use my Vita. But playing Remote play Vita of PS4 Minecraft was laggy for me and uncomfortable due to lack of buttons/etc)

I have it on PS4 as well but willing to double dip for the same reasons that and I don't have a Vita

still waiting for the full price backlash all Switch ports seem to get lol

Cartho

makes transferring maps easier?

not sure but limited Ram and Storage should play a factor in that

Pocket edition now has Infinite worlds though. So Android and iOS devices. Can't believe that these phones etc have more brute rendering power than a PS4 / Xbox One / Switch.

Apparently the minimum requirements for PC version are 2 GB RAM, and phones/tablets have about the same storage situation as Switch (and worse than even PS3 or X360), so neither of those convinces me. The first one as a design decision, maybe, but then that wouldn't explain why the Switch version is smaller than the PS4/One versions. *shrug*

I missed where they mentioned it was 60 fps in portable mode, but that's great to hear. Was hoping for maps as big as the PS4 version, but glad they are not as small as the PS3 version.

he was holding the Switch up to the camera for the stream to see the screen and said something like 'You can't see it from the stream but this is running at 60 fps'

since it was not a docked console he really meant the portable unless we find out later he was wrong to say it like that but they are the developers

GulAtiCa

I have it on PS4 as well but willing to double dip for the same reasons that and I don't have a Vita

still waiting for the full price backlash all Switch ports seem to get lol

To be fair, I think anyone complaining that Minecraft here being full price, will be full of themselves. Since this isn't a port and more of another product to get out on another platform. Of course it's going to be full price.

I really wish I could transfer between editions. lol

So does this game feature any questing? After something like Dragon Quest Builders I am not so sure I could play this with zero guidance.

Apparently the minimum requirements for PC version are 2 GB RAM, and phones/tablets have about the same storage situation as Switch (and worse than even PS3 or X360), so neither of those convinces me. The first one as a design decision, maybe, but then that wouldn't explain why the Switch version is smaller than the PS4/One versions. *shrug*

Pocket edition now has Infinite worlds though. So Android and iOS devices. Can't believe that these phones etc have more brute rendering power than a PS4 / Xbox One / Switch.

I still think the Switch in portable mode keeping 60fps was their target

not saying I know why they don't do unlimited map sizes on consoles maybe this is something they are saving for special versions like on Scorpio

there has to be some reason for controlling the map sizes this much

they are owned by Microsoft so it could very well be planned out this way

Donnie

Not quite as big as ps4? You mean no where near as big as ps4.

Well the difference between WiiU/360 ect and Switch is nearly 13x while the difference between Switch and PS4 is 2.7x. So certainly comparatively its not that massive a difference.

So does this game feature any questing? After something like Dragon Quest Builders I am not so sure I could play this with zero guidance.

Don't think so, that is why I loved DQ Builders and couldn't care less about minecraft. It looks way better too. :p
I hope we get a sequel soon.

Piggus

Limited ram and storage is a much bigger factor on phones, and that version has infinite worlds.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with how saved data is handled. The saves can get pretty huge on PC if you're doing a lot of exploring.

there will be modes you can play and packs you can buy

they showed off some thing call GLIDE today which is a flying race thing

I don't think they have an RPG thing Minecraft is creating your own adventure type thing.

Although the base game does have an endgame if you want to go that far but the building, exploration, and crafting was the main draw of the game

Cerium

Limited ram and storage is a much bigger factor on phones, and that version has infinite worlds.

My guess is that it's because mobile and PC have variable specs, so they unlock size such that it's limited to whatever hardware.

With consoles the specs are much more predictable so they can lock it at whatever they think is optimal.

why would someone want an infinite world though?

I had a hard enough time flying from one build area to another in the large map on PS4

it takes forever just to find your way around I had to build tracks all over the place

does infinite maps have a higher ceiling?

I like building Skyscrapers if we had taller maps I would love infinite height over bigger maps

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I've still never played Minecraft. I may change that with the Switch version of the game. Seems like a perfect handheld experience.

Ha! I'm doing that too. I've never touched minecraft before and will try it for the first time on my switch.

Piggus

My guess is that it's because mobile and PC have variable specs, so they unlock size such that it's limited to whatever hardware.

With consoles the specs are much more predictable so they can lock it at whatever they think is optimal.

Well even my crappy old laptop runs it fine with infinite worlds. The engine swaps areas in and out of RAM, so the world size doesn't impact performance. With that said, the game saves more and more data as you explore the map. For infinite worlds to work on consoles, they would have to put a limit on the amount of exploring you could do, which sort of defeats the purpose.

why would someone want an infinite world though?

I had a hard enough time flying from one build area to another in the large map on PS4

it takes forever just to find your way around I had to build tracks all over the place

I like building Skyscrapers if we had taller maps I would love infinite height over bigger maps

The PC version has a much greater sense of exploration knowing that you will almost certainly never reach the end of the map. Getting lost is part of the fun. In an online survival server I hosted, I'd sometimes travel out 20+ km in search of dungeons, and seeing familiar sights come into view on the return trip is part of the fun. The larger world size is also a necessity for certain build projects, such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4lSMzN1i5Q

http://build.mcmiddleearth.com:8123/

As for height, I believe server mods can increase height limit to whatever you want.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Give it an hour ot two to click, preferably with a friend building stuff together and you'll fall in love! Think of it as a unlimited crate of Legos!

That's called Lego Digital Designer and it's free.

Nope. Checking now, the last time height got an increase was with the official release in 2011 doubling the max from 127 to 255.

I too like making tall structures, so I'm split between wishing we could go higher, and relieved that a limit is placed on my ambitions so I don't find myself gathering materials for a 2000 tall pyramid or something.

Alchemy

Really wanted a good portable Minecraft but held off on the Vita one because of performance issues. Looks like I'll get picking this up :x

Eolz

Damn, all of those details sound really good to me.
Would definitely get it at some point on sale. Is it ever on sale on console? I just remember getting it one day when Sony fucked up their prices on PSN (as usual).

Own the game on PC , got a couple questions for console owners :

The same game sans the resolution on PC ?
Can we play single player survival ?
Can we save single player worlds ?
Can we enter seeds to create worlds ?

from my limited experience with console versions (only PS4) seeds were only per platform

meaning I could not use an Xbox One seed on my PS4 if I remember this correctly

all of the others should be a yes

Top Bottom