• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLS announces new expansion franchise in Los Angeles, Magic Johnson among owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

t26

Relocating two NFL teams to LA? That makes relocating an NFL team to London look downright sensible. It's not like the teams that left LA initially didn't have their reasons. Moving the Chargers or the Raiders probably doesn't spark a response, but if the Rams move, St Louis is going to need a replacement, it's a top 25 market and would only have MLB and NHL. (This is all assuming that the writing on Jacksonville's wall says "Ship to London.")
St. Louis doesn't mean much as when the NFL was willing to let the bigger la market without a team for years

JDeluis

I'd actually prefer if they moved them towards to the city of Orange. Even if they are backed by Magic Johnson, there is no way they'll have priority over the LA Galaxy in the city of Los Angeles, They'll just end up getting the same team fans as the Chivas USA.

Anaheim already has the Ducks and the Angels, might as well give them an MLS team.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
If the MLS is genuinely successful enough to hit and maintain ~22-24 teams, I hope they actually take a little bit of time to develop a true MLS-managed minor league and implement a promotion/relegation system, instead of just growing the MLS itself to 25+.

I've always heard it wasn't possible since the teams have to pay so much to get in and they wouldn't tolerate the loss in revenue from being relegated.

But maybe it could work if each FC also owned their minor-league equivalent? IDK.

I just want US Soccer to sort it out :(

GRW810

If Sacremento joins MLS that will make four California teams. Seems a bit much even other cities and states are still clamouring for their first. How the 'soccer city' of St. Louis doesn't have a team is beyond me.

If the MLS is genuinely successful enough to hit and maintain ~22-24 teams, I hope they actually take a little bit of time to develop a true MLS-managed minor league and implement a promotion/relegation system, instead of just growing the MLS itself to 25+.

I've always heard it wasn't possible since the teams have to pay so much to get in and they wouldn't tolerate the loss in revenue from being relegated.

But maybe it could work if each FC also owned their minor-league equivalent? IDK.

I just want US Soccer to sort it out :(
Pro/rel sucks for top level sports leagues. Even the European ones.

Now the MLS needs to abandon the salary cap.
Sure, if they want to kill the league.

Sure, if they want to kill the league.

The salary cap is keeping the league mired in mediocrity. They'll never be within spitting distance of the Premier League (or its revenues) if they put short-term profitably of every club before long-term growth.

The NBA and NFL can get away with propping up smaller market teams because they have monopoly on talent and no credible international competition, that's not the case with MLS.

The salary cap is keeping the league mired in mediocrity. They'll never be within spitting distance of the Premier League (or its revenues) if they put short-term profitably of every club before long-term growth.

The NBA and NFL can get away with propping up smaller market teams because they have monopoly on talent and no credible international competition, that's not the case with MLS.
The salary cap is keeping the league financially viable.

xbhaskarx

Short-term profitability will lead to long-term growth. The reason rich people are currently lining up to hand over $80-100 million expansion fees to MLS is because the teams are no longer hemorrhaging money.

No one is saying that the salary cap should remain as low as it is forever. Obviously it should increase over time, as revenues increase (and MLS' new $720 million TV deal kicks in next season, with CBA negotiations happening this offseason).

Out of control unsustainable spending by teams like the New York Cosmos is what killed the NASL and left the US without a professional soccer league for over a decade.

If Sacremento joins MLS that will make four California teams. Seems a bit much even other cities and states are still clamouring for their first. How the 'soccer city' of St. Louis doesn't have a team is beyond me.

Have you seen the population numbers?

I wonder were they are gonna stick the stadium. Home Depot is in Carson and central already kinda. More toward North LA, or the OC?

xbhaskarx

B1OBO1oIIAA30rD.jpg:large
B1OEWW1IQAA7yE8.jpg:large

Earvin Magic Johnson @MagicJohnson

I'm so happy to announce that I am one of the owners of the new @MLS team in LA the Los Angeles Football Club! @LAFC #LAFC2017

Thank you to my partner @PeterGuber for allowing me to join the ownership group for the new team @LAFC! #LAFC2017

Who would've ever thought a kid from Lansing, Michigan would own a soccer team! Mom & Dad look at me now! Lol

Wow! First the Dodgers, then WNBA with the Sparks and now MLS ownership with the Los Angeles Football Club! #LAFC2017

With MLS Commissioner Don Garber, @LAFC owners Henry Nguyen & Peter Guber!

Hanging out with fellow @LAFC Owners @Nomar5, @MiaHamm and @tonyrobbins! #LAFC2017

Short-term profitability will lead to long-term growth. The reason rich people are currently lining up to hand over $80-100 million expansion fees to MLS is because the teams are no longer hemorrhaging money.

No one is saying that the salary cap should remain as low as it is forever. Obviously it should increase over time, as revenues increase (and MLS' new $720 million TV deal kicks in next season, with CBA negotiations happening this offseason).

Out of control unsustainable spending by teams like the New York Cosmos is what killed the NASL and left the US without a professional soccer league for over a decade.

A salary cap doesn't exist to keep a league from bankruptcy, it exists to redistribute revenue from the players to the owners. It's essentially a tax on the players that keeps unprofitable small-market teams in the black and allows big market teams to pocket a larger share of the revenue than they would be able to if players were allowed to shop their talents in a free market. Teams that can't turn profits should be allowed to fail.

MLS was on life support a decade ago with a rigid salary cap. Thanks to the Designated Player Rule, star players like David Beckham were able to come stateside and help the league grow. This growth would not have been possible if the league had maintained a hard salary cap.

NASL collapsed due to incompetent management, not the lack of a salary cap.

xbhaskarx

MLS was on life support a decade ago with a rigid salary cap. Thanks to the Designated Player Rule, star players like David Beckham were able to come stateside and help the league grow. This growth would not have been possible if the league had maintained a hard salary cap.

... and so there's no hard salary cap now. In fact the number of designated players allowed per team has increased from one to three. That can obviously be increased further, but MLS will do so at its own pace.

mozfan12

Banned
Hope the new stadium is near Downtown LA. Carson is way too far and its the main reason why I stopped going. I think they can be successful if they appeal to the latino crowd in an effective way, like having players they actually care about plus interesting signings ala Lampard and David Villa.

Cormano

Sporting Kansas City supporter here, im glad that they started using "FC" for their names, now theres LAFC, NYCFC and Orlando FC?

With that many teams maybe consider promotion/relegation?

Expo park isn't a bad area. Id imagine that a stadium build would come with some sort of revitalization/gentrification as well. Would have been nice to have it be downtown.

It takes like 10 minutes to get from downtown to the coliseum via the train these days. Honestly the train is absolutely the best way to get to USC/Kings/Clippers/Lakers games these days.

If they put the stadium anywhere within walking distance of a train stop it'll be a success. If not it'll be a disaster.

Hope the new stadium is near Downtown LA. Carson is way too far and its the main reason why I stopped going. I think they can be successful if they appeal to the latino crowd in an effective way, like having players they actually care about plus interesting signings ala Lampard and David Villa.

I live near Culver City and have never been to a Galaxy game because I don't want to drive to Carson. If I can get to the new team via the train I'll go, it's pretty much that simple.

They like to go all euro chic in the MLS, I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, and LA FC sounds good to me, but it can get fucking silly at times like with Real Salt Lake.

Real Salt Lake is the only one that really bothers me.

I mean there is the red bulls but that's mainly due to the corporate bullshit behind it. Although they'd be fine as the red bulls without the energy drink association with it so idk.

I kinda like the different naming schemes. it's like a melting pot of names and is kinda uniquely american. Although if any team decides to pick CSKA as a name I may quit watching MLS altogether.

t26

Real Salt Lake is the only one that really bothers me.

I mean there is the red bulls but that's mainly due to the corporate bullshit behind it. Although they'd be fine as the red bulls without the energy drink association with it so idk.

I kinda like the different naming schemes. it's like a melting pot of names and is kinda uniquely american. Although if any team decides to pick CSKA as a name I may quit watching MLS altogether.

but Dynamo is okay?

Members of the ownership group for Los Angeles Football Club, the new Major League Soccer team in Los Angeles, discuss the opportunity to join MLS.
Not sure how much I like the ownership group trying to define and name a supporters group. "If you join us now, 3 years before we get the second team in LA to join the other 20 or so MLS teams, we'll call you the "LA Originals!""

"Vincent Tan, Vincent Tan, you're a wanker... Vincent Tan you're a wanker, I say
Vincent Tan, Vincent Tan, you're a wanker... You've been a wanker since the very first day!"

Tan doesn't do things by half. If he's involved, and putting his money into it, he'll demand to be involved.

RE: the name, I like LAFC, they should keep it. No "franchise" name. Just old school.

I guess he's only one of many owners, so won't be able to spectacularly fuck things up like he has done at Cardiff City. Plus they're starting with a blank canvas, so colours/badge design changes can't piss anyone off yet (unless their team colour is blue and it comes out that was Tan's choice!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom