• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Diego Chargers plan to announce that they are moving to Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronx-Man

Banned
StubHub Center, the home of the Chargers for the next two seasons, with a capacity around 30,000:

719abb4a-76ed-484b-9f3d-13aaf3f86084.jpg

b5e1c6fd-26c8-410d-8b79-de0774eea707.jpg

C2ZHnUyUUAA5Yv3.jpg

Complete with "luxury" cabanas!

196f047f-133a-44d2-98da-a9e13a958015.jpg
giphy.gif

RBH

707bfac6f41b74687ea7928e1f5e20e9

Chargers owner Dean Spanos held a meet-and-greet event in Los Angeles on Wednesday.

Well, one fan is joining San Diego moving companies on the list of people pissed off about the Chargers relocating and ready to protest:

This has it all. One middle finger. Two middle fingers. Grown men in sports jerseys angry at another man in a sports jersey, who is also angry. The one guy in the Lance Alworth jersey is so mad at Middle Fingers Man that he is ready to fight him. The part that makes it truly sad is after Middle Fingers Man says his peace, he doesn't want to fight his fellow fan; he calmly walks up the stairs with security, defeated and broken.

Middle Fingers Man goes by SD Sign Guy on Twitter, because he brings signs to games I guess. Based on this tweet, he is happy with himself.

https://twitter.com/jmt619/status/821821326574768128?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Video: https://twitter.com/Mark_T_Willard/status/821819997316071424?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/821819913345978368?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

RBH

As much as the Chargers' move to Los Angeles angered San Diego, it angered NFL executives and owners just as much, if not more.

Since the move was announced, the NFL has been "besides itself," in the words of one league source. "There are a ton of owners very upset that [the Chargers] moved," one source said. The source added that the NFL wants the Chargers to move back, though nobody believes that possibility is realistic.

But some NFL owners and some league officials are still hoping, now that the move has been made official, that Chargers chairman Dean Spanos will wake up one morning soon, recognize this situation has been "bungled so bad," and take his team back to San Diego, where it spent the past 56 years. Again, the chances are at best remote that this happens.

But some owners and league officials are still praying that the longest of long shots occurs and the Chargers bolt back to San Diego.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ill-belichick-kirk-cousins-antonio-brown-more

ErichWK

Haha. Ya, at least San Diego made rocket league. A lot of us at Psyonix threw out our chargers gear. We work right by petco park so at least we can go to Padres' games!

RBH

Sunday marked the first time two Los Angeles NFL teams were home since 1994, but no one seemed to care.

Both the L.A. Chargers and L.A. Rams played in relatively empty stadiums.

Check out this photo of the 27,000-seat StubHub Center during Sunday's Dolphins vs. Chargers game:

DJ88zD-VAAAj1Tu.jpg:large

DJ856tQVYAEge-0.jpg:large

The StubHub Center holds 27,000. The Chargers failed to sell the game out, as the announced attendance was 25,381, which is the number of tickets ”distributed" not the number of people through the turnstiles.

Based on reports on the ground, roughly 50 percent of the crowd were there to cheer on the visiting Miami Dolphins.

The #Chargers miss the field goal to lose the game, stadium accidentally sets off the celebratory fireworks
Video:
https://twitter.com/ohrnberger/status/909553023680110592

And this view of the L.A. Memorial Coliseum during Sunday's Redskins vs. Rams game:

DJ88PqQVAAAdc6L.jpg:large
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...es-stadiums-photos/1tgh5n7802pz91fci8fypnwbit
http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/18/chargers-first-home-game-in-los-angeles-as-embarrassing-as-it-gets/

Swiggins

Not sure why the Chargers doubled-down on the LA move. Looks like a huge mistake

We couldn't be duped into building them a Stadium downtown for free so Dean Spanos threw a fucking temper tantrum and decided to take his ball and leave.

The Chargers are dead to me and I've stopped caring about football entirely as a result...need a new surrogate team...taking all suggestions...I'll root for anybody but the Patriots and the Raiders.

We couldn't be duped into building them a Stadium downtown for free so Dean Spanos threw a fucking temper tantrum and decided to take his ball and leave.

Duped? You guys turned down a hotel tax. lol It was only part of the funding too IIRC. More like, Spanos knows simply moving the team to LA increases the value. Same reason the Clippers won't move to Seattle ... ever.

Also .. game two of Rams was better. The coliseum fits 93,000 people so even 70K will looks kinda sparse. The fact that we can score a TD this year seems to be a positive.

Snaku

Banned

The Chargers are dead to me and I've stopped caring about football entirely as a result...need a new surrogate team...taking all suggestions...I'll root for anybody but the Patriots and the Raiders.

Miami has the Dolphins, the greatest football team

MikeRahl

Quit the league entirely and follow the Winnipeg Blue Bombers!

They are pretty much the Chargers of the CFL. Wasting the prime of a GOAT player. History of terrible GMs (the current one is good), revolving door of coaches for the most part. Questionable offensive strategy.

RBH

Join the Falcons fan base!

julio.gif

TraBuch

Banned

You should be miserable with all the other Niner fans out there.

If the Rams and/or Chargers actually prove they're good, people will show up. It's the LA way.

No one here has time or energy to devote to the goddamn 4-12 Rams, or the cosmically cursed Chargers.

LA is fickle and likes a winner. Why do you think no one cared a damn about the Clippers for so long?

If they can persevere and actually gitgud, they'll be fine. They probably don't care until the new stadium is built anyway.

It took almost 15 years to get the Raiders turned around, I expect it'll take a bit for the Rams, and who knows whats going to happen to the Chargers when Rivers hangs it up.

Kintaco

Or the billionaire owner could have self-funded a portion of the stadium that would have been built in SD instead of asking the public for a handout.
He's poor by owners standards. He's probably only a billionaire due to the value of the Chargers. He really should have sold the team.

That picture for the Rams/Redskins game seems misleading as the stadium looked much more packed during the game when I watched it. That just looks like a shot during pre game

Kintaco

That picture for the Rams/Redskins game seems misleading as the stadium looked much more packed during the game when I watched it. That just looks like a shot during pre game
It totally is, picture is taken before the actual game even started. Take a picture of Dodgers Stadium before a game and you'll get an empty stadium as well. Add to the fact that the coliseum is huge, ~90k, even selling about 60k would look empty as someone previously mentioned.

Can't wait to see the 27,000 Raiders fans that show up for Raiders at Chargers.

Lol true. I just flew from LA to Oak and there was a gate from Oak to LA that was 95% raiders fans (presumably went to see the Raiders vs Jets game).

It's going to take a while for people to start liking the chargers/Rams.

LA is not a football town. How many times must teams move there, then leave before they stop going back?
Sorry but we're not going to pay top dollar to watch garbage ass football teams with no local Fanbase. It's not worth the price of tickets, concessions, parking, and worst of all the traffic. The numbers will go up once a team comes to town that people actually want to see.

Moving two was a terrible idea

Also really stupid to move teams out of San Diego and St. Louis while leaving a team in Jacksonville

Should have been the Raiders -> LA, Jaguars Rebrand -> Las Vegas, Charges and Rams stay put

Arc

He's poor by owners standards. He's probably only a billionaire due to the value of the Chargers. He really should have sold the team.

The cash he paid to move ($650M) would have built Gillette Stadium ($325M) twice. He wanted a tax payer funded palace.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wonder what NFL rules are for moving a team again? If this continues, two teams are obviously not financially viable at this location.

The reason they moved there was because team valuation goes up in LA. But that's all imaginary value and eventually they stop getting valuated at some increased rate when they figure out there isn't a bunch of money in LA.

The cash he paid to move ($650M) would have built Gillette Stadium ($325M) twice. He wanted a tax payer funded palace.

What you're seeing is the NFL collapsing under the weight of its own ego. The NFL buys into its own hype about how much people are willing to pay to see games.

Meadows

Banned
Or the billionaire owner could have self-funded a portion of the stadium that would have been built in SD instead of asking the public for a handout.

The Spanos family are not that well off, and most of the net worth they do have comes from their ownership of the football team.

They should sell the team, but football is a cartel and it's free money so they won't.

Dishwalla

Banned
Chargers won't stay in LA, confident on this. Give it a few seasons, they'll either slither back to San D or go somewhere else like San Anton or even OKC. Being the secondary tenant in the new Rams stadium will make it easy to leave, they won't be abandoning anything.

ErichWK

What the fuck was Spanos thinking. I feel like a broken up boyfriend. If the chargers came back I would take them back with open arms. I fucking love Rivers and the man deserves a ring on his finger and want to see that happen in San Diego. (Wishful thinking) still boggles my mind why he would move to a city to be third favorite behind the Raiders and Rams.

MikeRahl

He got a loan from the owners to move didn't he?

And there isn't going to be an NFL stadium built now that is less than a billion bucks. Atlantas was 1.6 and Minny's was 1.1.

They are building CFL stadiums that cost 300 million these days.

norm9

Don't like that they messed with the Stubhub center. Chargers will nver be Los Angeles.

Rams not good enough yet for me to go see them on a nice Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom