• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolithsoft (Xenoblade) is recruiting action game staff for new project

weekev

Banned
Taken from the website. They are recruiting "action game staff" in particular, and the individual recruitment pages for the action part programmers and action part battle planners specify desired action game experience and responsiveness and enemy AI as things they want to emphasize. For the battle planners, they are also looking for those with an interest in medieval fantasy and understanding of western entertainment trends.
So Xenosouls? Sounds amazing, can't wait to see what they are up to. I guess we won't see it till 2019.

Dremorak

Banned
Doubt it. It looks like it'll be a self-contained story.

Why would they put a 2 at the end if it wasnt related?? They have plenty of "xeno" games without numbers that arent related. If anything I would say its incredibly unlikely it ends up being a seperate thing

Neoxon

I'll be pretty surprised if this game isn't announced by early next year, and released by 2019.
Between this, (likely) Pokémon Gen 8, & (possibly) Metroid Prime 4, the Switch already has an exciting 2019 if your prediction holds up.

Instro

Yeah but...

Gjrhi7W_d.jpg

Huh, hadn't seen this. What was the tweet responding to exactly? Could just be a book or something I suppose.

I'll be pretty surprised if this game isn't announced by early next year, and released by 2019.

Wow. I hope that isn't a reflection on the size of the game, but more the output at Monolith Soft. If this releases in 2019 we would have 2 Monolith Soft games in a little over 2 years into the Switch's life.

Hopefully that is another sign of the improved dev tools the Switch has.

Some Nobody

FWIW, I don't think they started this project yesterday.

Exactly. Judging by what we've seen, they've got staff to work on two projects at once. Even if X2 is delayed into early 2018, they still went from releasing Xeno X mid-2015 to having an entirely new project launching on Switch under 3 years later.

And, this looks pretty awesome.

Ogodei

Folks forget Disaster: Day of Crisis, which was Monolith.

Though probably a different kind of action than what they're going for here.

I'm expecting a quick reveal next E3 with a gameplay blowout the year after. Just makes sense to me, I really don't see this being a 2018 title considering they've only just done XC2.

Agree. I guess if we go off their last project they were well underway with Xenoblade 2 when Xenoblade X released. Seems likely that's the case here as well.

Dingens

well... I certainly wouldn't complain about some sort of successor to Soma Bringer :/

(in terms of gameplay, not setting ofc)

Harpoon

With the amount of positions they're looking to fill, I'm not so sure I share your optimism.

http://gematsu.com/2017/08/monolith-soft-hiring-ambitious-new-project-different-brand-image

Designers
  • Character Modeler
  • Map Modeler
  • In-Game Animator
  • Technical Artist
  • Main Character Designer
  • Concept Art Designer
Programmers
  • Character Control Programmer (Action Part)
  • System / Framework Programmer
Planners
  • Planner (Action Part)
Management Support
  • Project Manager

MomoQca

Why would they put a 2 at the end if it wasnt related?? They have plenty of "xeno" games without numbers that arent related. If anything I would say its incredibly unlikely it ends up being a seperate thing

XC2 features a new world and a different cast of characters. The "2" in the title doesn't necessarily reflect a continuation to the story told in the original. Takahashi said that the number signifies the return of the original's format in terms of structure.

I wonder if they're following Nintendo's restructuring plans in terms of bringing in young developers. I've read somewhere that most of the staff members at Monolith Soft are at their senior senior level and have decades of experience or something, so I feel like it's time for them to bring in some new blood and teach them some skills. I mean, I know all companies do this, but I feel like it's a bit different in the gaming world where most of the positions are temporary or contractor roles.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Okay already hyped....where do i sign up ?
These dude never take any vacations between helping out Nintendo on every big game and developing their own big games...gotta respect the hustle.

duckroll

Do you think this is likely the Xenoblade team's next project, or the first project of a new team at the studio?

I think it is likely that most if not all the leads who worked on the Xenoblade games will be working on this, sure. That doesn't necessarily mean this is a Takahashi directed game or that the staff will have the exact same roles. Monolithsoft isn't quite big enough to have multiple teams for big AAA games imo. One big game in active production while another is in pre-production and early production seems to be their limit now.

night814

Looks great, would love to see them do something different from Xenoblade since they haven't done anything on their own that's not XB in the past few years.

I think early next year may be pushing it. I could see it being an E3 2018 anouncement.

Between this, (likely) Pokémon Gen 8, & (possibly) Metroid Prime 4, the Switch already has an exciting 2019 if your prediction holds up.
It's rather crazy. Pure speculation on my part based on rumors, development teams, hiring postings, etc. However, these are some titles Nintendo will likely be publishing for Switch in 2018/2019:

2018-
Fire Emblem
Kirby
Yoshi
Smash Bros
Mario Maker
Animal Crossing
Pikmin
Bayonetta
Retro Studios game
2D Zelda

2019-
Pokemon(I think it will get delayed to Spring 2019)
Metroid Prime 4
New Monolith IP
No More Heroes 3
Another 3D Mario game

Okay already hyped....where do i sign up ?
These dude never take any vacations between helping out Nintendo on every big game and developing their own big games...gotta respect the hustle.
Monolithsoft was probably the best investment Nintendo has ever made. Their output in terms of quality and the amount of support lent to Nintendo is huge.

I think early next year may be pushing it. I could see it being an E3 2018 anouncement.

It's rather crazy. Pure speculation on my part based on rumors, development teams, hiring postings, etc. However, these are some titles Nintendo will likely be publishing for Switch in 2018/2019:

2018-
Fire Emblem
Kirby
Yoshi
Smash Bros
Mario Maker
Animal Crossing
Pikmin
Bayonetta
Retro Studios game
2D Zelda

2019-
Pokemon(I think it will get delayed to Spring 2019)
Metroid Prime 4
New Monolith IP
No More Heroes 3
Another 3D Mario game

There's gotta be a Luigi's Mansion 3 and Fatal Frame VI in there somewhere.

duckroll

With the amount of positions they're looking to fill, I'm not so sure I share your optimism.

http://gematsu.com/2017/08/monolith-soft-hiring-ambitious-new-project-different-brand-image

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1125533

Just saying.

Could be, but I dunno if Nintendo will even bother with timing for E3 or TGS or whatever anymore. If it isn't announced at an early 2018 Nintendo stream, maybe they'll wait until October 2018 for their big Fall stream.

Fou-Lu

Huh, hadn't seen this. What was the tweet responding to exactly? Could just be a book or something I suppose.

Wasn't a response to anything, she just posted it. I don't think Saga has ever written a book, maybe I am wrong. I really feel like if she posted a tweet like that it has to be a video game, but I am just reaching out for hope.

Zebei

day 0

Monolith soft is already a good sign, and that art makes me feel things I can't explain.

Gonna be pissed when that girl doesnt appear in the game at all.

Harpoon

While they're pretty similar, I still feel there are some pretty important, unfilled positions that this new project has that make it seem like it's not quite as far along as Xenoblade 2 was at that point (project manager, main character designer, etc.)

That said, I can totally see this releasing in 2019, but I'm not so sure about an early 2018 announcement. It would be funny if this was formally announced before Retro's current project, though.

Very interested in seeing what form this takes. Glad to see Monolithsoft trying something new, and I hope this winds up being an awesome action RPG.

Mortemis

Banned
You say 'monolith soft', 'fantasy action rpg', and show me that concept art and that's basically all you need for me to be there day one.

Excited for this.

duckroll

That said, I can totally see this releasing in 2019, but I'm not so sure about an early 2018 announcement. It would be funny if this was formally announced before Retro's current project, though.

I guess it really depends. The way I see it, Nintendo's marketing is kinda experimental and unpredictable these days. They have announcements they are happy to hold back until it is closer to release for a big surprise - like Xenoblade 2, and they also have stuff they're willing to announce way earlier like "Monado" (looool) and "X". Same with Fire Emblem Switch.

Harpoon

I'm talking about the two in the foreground.

I know, but the background's still part of the picture, too, and it alone makes it pretty clear it isn't concept art for X. The two characters still don't really look like anyone from X in how they look, how they're dressed, etc.

jonjonaug

I just saw on their recruitment page that they had a hand in splatoon 2?!? Crazy.

Monolith does work on a lot of Nintendo's titles. Usually they just do graphical design, but more recently Nintendo called them in on Breath of the Wild to help with the game design (which pretty obviously takes cues from Xenoblade and Xenoblade X).

Top Bottom