• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World |OT| Where The Wild Things Are

Man we got ppl arguing about the best looking male and female armors, I don't care.
DUhUmBlUMAA2b4D.jpg:large
This game has the BEST CAT ARMORS OF ALL TIME. WIN WIN FOR ME!!

Nodnol

Any standard Xbox One impressions?

If im honest, JRPG’s don’t tend to appeal to me, but the gameplay loop and general concept look great.

Bigfroth

My first monster Hunter game. About 2 hours in so far and I'm really enjoying it. Doesn't seem as inaccessible as I heard this series always was. Playing on PS4 pro thumbs up for so far.

Poppyseed

Still waiting on a proper publication to put the X vs Pro version to the test in terms of gfx/frame-rate. That's the only thing holding me back here!

Diablos

Love this game so far but the online matchmaking is ABSURD. I can’t get anything going or if I join a session I can’t find anyone. I don’t get it.

splattered

New to the series... loving the gameplay but some of the mechanics are so frustrating.

My son and I are taking the beginning of the game slow but man has it been confusing and impossible to get into a game together???

How much of the beginning of the game do we have to play solo before we can join together?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Still waiting on a proper publication to put the X vs Pro version to the test in terms of gfx/frame-rate. That's the only thing holding me back here!

Thought I saw the X version is messed up as of right now. Or did I make that up?

I haven’t been able to connect to an online session on Xbox since launch, no sessions found, anyone else having these issues? I bough this to play coop..

splattered

I'm able to play some co-op with my son now... you cant do any of the beginning/expedition missions together but events and other stuff you can do with a friend. I set the 4 numeral code and it worked.

Unfortunately I heard Xbox servers are having the most trouble right now, would probably have been a good reason to have a beta test earlier.

I have not tried actually attempting to co-op with someone yet but it seems u all have to be in the same online session (check for the session ID under Player List)
On PS4 u can Invite a Friend on your friends list which will bring people to ur session. U can also join other squad member's session if u are part of a squad.
Hosting quests seem to only appear for people in ur current session. U should be able to host any quest u have available but note that ur party members must meet the hunter's rank requirement to join.

Responding to an SOS seems to work regardless of session ur in as long as the quest is within ur hunter's rank - u would have to manually search the list for a friend's quest however.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Playing on Xbox One X and loving it. To me the game looks great. I also played the Beta on a PS4 Pro and it feels to me like the game runs better on X. Only problem I’ve run into so far is that matchmaking, and basically all “online” content isnt functioning AT ALL. Hopefully this is addressed very soon, it’s quite irritating but not a deal breaker.

Gamersyde also did an early test and found that X1X has about a 10FPS advantage over the PS4 Pro in “prioritize framerate” mode, averaging about 53FPS.

UPDATE: Gamersyde published more frame rate tests on X1X for those that are interested.

Quick summary:
Variable frame rate in all modes, Resolution mode averages at about 27FPS (ouch) Graphics Mode generally performs at about 34-37FPS, while Prioritize Framerate pushes an average of about 44 FPS at the expense of a lower resolution.

Strange, that. The analysis they did before the launch day patch showed Prioritize Framerate Mode as averaging about 54FPS.

Here’s that footage for comparisons sake.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I'm able to play some co-op with my son now... you cant do any of the beginning/expedition missions together but events and other stuff you can do with a friend. I set the 4 numeral code and it worked.
Yeah I don't know why they made it so confusing to play with someone. It appears that they want people to have to play the story missions alone. Maybe it's their way of letting people test their own personal skill or something.

Either way, what I found out is that if you fail a story mission once, you can then go into it with a full party of 4 afterward. So if you really want to do the story missions together without the headache of the SOS system or trying to invite while a monster is eating your face off, you could both just purposely fail immediately and then re-queue together. It is incredibly bizarre and I don't know why they chose to do it this way.

We ended up doing a ton of investigations and optional content just because we wanted to play together.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Really digging this game. First MH game so it's still a bit overwhelming at times.

Took out poki-poki this morning and Ive spent a couple hours gathering materials and forging better armor.

Still fooling around with weapons but so far I like the samurai sword.

Got the whole house to myself tomorrow to really dig into this game.

Smoke6

Ok, so we been trying for over an hour to join each other and no go!

Can someone please walk me thru this process, we're both Hunter rank 2

Poppyseed

Playing on Xbox One X and loving it. To me the game looks great. I also played the Beta on a PS4 Pro and it feels to me like the game runs better on X. Only problem I’ve run into so far is that matchmaking, and basically all “online” content isnt functioning AT ALL. Hopefully this is addressed very soon, it’s quite irritating but not a deal breaker.

Gamersyde also did an early test and found that X1X has about a 10FPS advantage over the PS4 Pro in “prioritize framerate” mode, averaging about 53FPS.

UPDATE: Gamersyde published more frame rate tests on X1X for those that are interested.

Quick summary:
Variable frame rate in all modes, Resolution mode averages at about 27FPS (ouch) Graphics Mode generally performs at about 34-37FPS, while Prioritize Framerate pushes an average of about 44 FPS at the expense of a lower resolution.

Strange, that. The analysis they did before the launch day patch showed Prioritize Framerate Mode as averaging about 54FPS.

Here’s that footage for comparisons sake.

Ugh that sucks. I just want a stable 30fps.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Never tried a MH before and bought this one last Friday. Amazing game, only 4h in but looking forward to hunt dragons.

Corrik

Is this game good to play by yourself or is friends a big deal to play with in this game? A lot of people I know want me to get it on PS4 to play with them, but I like to play all multiplatform games on Xbox One. Am I missing out on a lot by playing by myself? (Wish my friends would just get an xbox)

Stiler

Restarted my game to make a new character, I have like literally no idea what I'm doing lol, first time playing a MH game.

Seems like i'm missing out on a lot of lot at the end of missions, there's like 15 creatures laying around and I can't harvest most of them + loot the plants an dthings before the 60seconds are up and it ports me back to base.

Grinchy

Banned
Is this game good to play by yourself or is friends a big deal to play with in this game? A lot of people I know want me to get it on PS4 to play with them, but I like to play all multiplatform games on Xbox One. Am I missing out on a lot by playing by myself? (Wish my friends would just get an xbox)
It’s good solo but it’s more fun with people. If you think you’d play a lot with them then you’d be crazy to get the Xbox version.

MistBreeze

My first MH game, Im 13 hours now rank 4, taking it slow, intresting game for sure, my impressions untill now:
- the game sure is overwhelming soo much to learn concepts and mechanics, missions types, expeditions, events... etc but I feel Im getting better by time

- online is seamless every thing is playable online, also it is fun to hunt with random people only problem when post a mission I can not get people to join before going to mission it said preparing forever only I can get people to join using SOS

- enemies are varied getting new types regularly, weapons are varied and interesting ( using another weapon is mechanically different is like playing another game ) even doing science gathering stuff is fun and every thing you do is rewarding, and when I mounted a monster for first time using great sword jumping from top of a rock to its back my jaws dropped, man I didn’t touched gathering ship yet

Only problems I had:
Online joining never work when posting mission unless using SOS, big monsters ( bosses if I can call them that ) is hard to take them solo near impossible I got KOd easily or run out of time,
No health bar for monsters I only notice if they are weakened, gameplay is great aside for some quirks like locking to enemey is clunky

Corrik

It’s good solo but it’s more fun with people. If you think you’d play a lot with them then you’d be crazy to get the Xbox version.
I will consider it. I have the One X, so I just tend to like to play my games on it because it is a bit upgraded. I only have the regular ps4.

WaterAstro

How is the multiplayer connection? I've watched streams saying it's a nightmare to set up, but I'll probably be rolling in pugs more than anything.

Grinchy

Banned
I will consider it. I have the One X, so I just tend to like to play my games on it because it is a bit upgraded. I only have the regular ps4.
Definitely, and if you don't think you'd realistically play with them often, then do that. But if you think you would play a lot with them, it's hard to beat doing the material grind with buddies.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Are adds meant to be a pain in the ass? I only done the tutorial section on the jagras. Using dual slicers but because your attacks are animation bound it felt hard to deal with lots of enemies at once. I didn't die or anything, just want to know if it gets better?

PRiSMiWi

I’ve never played this game before. I’d like to ask... is the loot system similar to Diablo? I mean... can you play and play and still playing for 300 hours and droppings will continue to be slightly better than before? Is also replayable in the Diablo way?

The way I see it people are generally just too busy doing their own quests than joining others in the same session atm. Either that or they're helping people with SOS.

The adds or small monsters in this game have really increased in this game, they never really posed a threat before but now that they are all taking advantage of their sheer numbers its really surprising!
Also handling adds tend to be much easier with longer weapons, the dual blades are mostly for single target focused. Mind ur sharpness though.

The game doesn't follow a diablo style loot system, its more of an crafting and upgrading where u hunt monsters to get their drops to build and upgrade ur weapons and armor.

PRiSMiWi

The way I see it people are generally just too busy doing their own quests than joining others in the same session atm. Either that or they're helping people with SOS.

The adds or small monsters in this game have really increased in this game, they never really posed a threat before but now that they are all taking advantage of their sheer numbers its really surprising!
Also handling adds tend to be much easier with longer weapons, the dual blades are mostly for single target focused. Mind ur sharpness though.

The game doesn't follow a diablo style loot system, its more of an crafting and upgrading where u hunt monsters to get their drops to build and upgrade ur weapons and armor.

Understood, but is there any limit on upgrades? There will be always upgradable things?

Generally every upgrade has an end point, - a final form. Reaching there takes time and effort farming for the necessary materials.
That being said u need to progress through the game in order to unlock said materials or even the ability to upgrade ur gear to a higher level.

U are only limited by how much time u put into getting ur weapons and armor to their final forms.
and there are 14 weapon types - each with their own weapon tree that splits off depending on what monster parts u upgrade them with.
Armors are more standard, u make a set from a monster and u simply upgrade their defensive values - its not the same as weapons where u choose a path

PRiSMiWi

Generally every upgrade has an end point, - a final form. Reaching there takes time and effort farming for the necessary materials.
That being said u need to progress through the game in order to unlock said materials or even the ability to upgrade ur gear to a higher level.

U are only limited by how much time u put into getting ur weapons and armor to their final forms.
and there are 14 weapon types - each with their own weapon tree that splits off depending on what monster parts u upgrade them with.
Armors are more standard, u make a set from a monster and u simply upgrade their defensive values - its not the same as weapons where u choose a path
Thank you very much

BrettWeir

I’ve never played this game before. I’d like to ask... is the loot system similar to Diablo? I mean... can you play and play and still playing for 300 hours and droppings will continue to be slightly better than before? Is also replayable in the Diablo way?

It's nothing like Diablo in any way. You slay monsters, carve parts off of them, and craft your armor/weapons from those parts.

**Darn it, beaten.

Enjoy the game! :)

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I imagine if I get to end-game before they start putting out the new stuff, a lot of grinding time will go into other weapons I feel like getting good with and upgrading.

I've stuck to the longsword the whole time so far, but in the beta, I really liked the bow and the insect glaive.

Kremzeek

What really helped me is at the beginning of the game when they tell you to pick a weapon, just pick anything (you can change your mind as much as you like later), then talk to the housecat and do Training.
When in training, you can swap weapons in the crate to try a different one.
The HUD shows sample combos, but to get more of an explanation about the weapon's abilities, click the Options button, choose HUNTERS NOTES, then Weapon, and it lists tons of tips about that weapon. Using these notes really really helped me get my head around learning about the weapon.

Seanjohn

Neo Member
The game has LOD pop up five feet in front of me. The initial climb of the first monster when you first start the game ran at sub 20fps. There is no decent configuration of options, the game actually looks bad. Not just bad, but bad as in hurts your eyes bad. It looks like it’s upscaling a low res image. I’m not sure what’s going on.

This is the first and only Xbox one X patch that’s ever been this bad. I haven’t had a single problem with any others. If they can’t get it right out the gate, and make it look at least on par with the pro version... on hardware vastly more powerful... what do you think that says?

Edit: also the game has really bad colour...? It’s like the entire world has a white fog all over it. It looks terrible? This isn’t exactly helping the game play nice, not wirh the low res blur, shimmering and LOD issues... you can say gameplay > graphics as much as you want but this here is... wrong.

Man!! You are 100% correct!!! I completely agree with you!!

Hotspurr

Banned
For anyone who got fatigued playing Monster Hunter Gen, how's this game? For me, single player in Gen was quite boring, and co-op and multi was god-tier enjoyment. I am considering picking up world, but before committing want to know if it's any good by yourself, and if you feel a bit tired of Gen gameplay, is there anything new here? I heard the monster-monster interactions and the world itself is quite interesting, but wondering if that's enough new stuff to prevent it feeling like just another MH game.

For anyone who got fatigued playing Monster Hunter Gen, how's this game?

As someone who was really burnt out after Generations, I have to say MHW is definitely the same game I love but in a new light.
I might not play the same way or look for the same things as u with the solo experience - it is still the same picking a quest to hunt progressively new monsters.
But the amount of effort and detail put into the game is eye opening. I didn't expect to find renewed joy in old systems such as gathering and exploration, they just feel more fleshed out thus more engaging.

The world is brimming with life, tackling it alone or with allies has been as fun as ever!

U needa weaken the monsters until they are limping then trap them using a shock or pitfall trap, then u need to use tranquilizer bombs to capture it

jowell24

As a long term fan of the series since the PSP, so far it's turned to be exactly like how I expected. Once I start playing it's hard to stop.

They've streamlined the most tedious aspects of the previous titles, like gathering, using the farm to clone items and even just getting into a quest. Being able to change equipment and access the hub services after accepting a quest is just one of the many QoL improvements that just let you get into the "loop" without hassle.

Online is an issue it seems on both platforms but I'll reserve judgement until after a few weeks.

Bonus image - Looks like Monster Hunter had a Conjunction of the Spheres too.

Last edited:
Been going back and doing low level collect missions, great fun to run around for 15mins finding items and looting.
easy way to get 10 mega potions and get random stuff

Bryank75

Banned
Didn't get too much done yet, just beat Anja... demands of family life.
If anyone wants to play coop just add me, psn same name as here. I'm using insect glaive.

Phear

Ist There Any way to destroy Armor/weapons and get the ressources back?

Are passive skills on Armor Always the same or are there random Rolls?

The reviews said, after each mission there is equipment progress, but with Hunter rank 6, I'm still using level 3 armor and weapons. What am I missing?

This game is crack. I'm addicted and it got to my dreams.

This game is crack. I'm addicted and it got to my dreams.

Yes there is a way to dismantle ur weapons and armor to get refunds for materials - should be done at the blacksmith

Equipment progress requires u to have the necessary materials from hunting monsters in order to upgrade further. If u see "???" on ur weapon progress it means u haven't found the necessary materials yet/ encountered the right monster
Progressing into the main story will also enable u to further upgrade ur armor with stronger armor stones (which u can get by doing bounties)

I am glad to hear people enjoying the game!

Top Bottom