• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World (PS4/XB1 early 2018, PC later, directed by MH4 lead planner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khezu

Look, there are a shit ton of portable MH games and will continue to be more in the future.

Straight up console focused MH's are few and far in between.

Just let us have this.

Meesh

It is demoed behind closed doors for now with all the bells and whistles like HUD enabled but there is a live stream scheduled for June 20th I believe.
K sweet. The only thing on my mind is whether I finally cave for a PS4 or keep with my PC... I think it'll come down to which platform will see the most players. I follow the series wherever it goes.... it really does look gorgeous imo, excited for which monsters are included, perhaps monster AI is improved as well?

R0ckman

K sweet. The only thing on my mind is whether I finally cave for a PS4 or keep with my PC... I think it'll come down to which platform will see the most players. I follow the series wherever it goes.... it really does look gorgeous imo, excited for which monsters are included, perhaps monster AI is improved as well?

They said in the interview that it was.

MrMephistoX

I sat in on the closed theater demo and I'm excited. It looks great and seemed super dynamic: I loved that the monsters seemed to kind of have an AI personality going on and behaved unpredictably. I played the Wii U demo of whatever version that was a few years back and lost interest but this looks really really good due to the AI, the varying terrain and environmental traps: not sure if those aspects are new to the series or not but this will be the fist MH I buy.

I sat in on the closed theater demo and I'm excited. It looks great and seemed super dynamic: I loved that the monsters seemed to kind of have an AI personality going on and behaved unpredictably. I played the Wii U demo of whatever version that was a few years back and lost interest but this looks really really good due to the AI, the varying terrain and environmental traps: not sure if those aspects are new to the series or not but this will be the fist MH I buy.
Nice. Do you remember anything specifically?

luminous

I think I'm in for this. It looked pretty cool despite being a bit bland graphically, but it was one of the couple things that grabbed my interest during Sony's thing. Never really played much of MH but the positive impressions seem reassuring

MrMephistoX

Nice. Do you remember anything specifically?

Well the T-Rex monster decided he was tired at one point and just didn't want to be lured up to the upper levels and ran back to his lair. I felt kind of bad the players just kept forcing it into a fight when dude just wanted to sleep or something. It seemed like random monsters decided to check out the action at times when they weren't necessarily scripted to be there. The environment seemed to be more interconnected with some verticality to it whereas the last MH I played was divided into zones and loading screens in between areas and it seemed to be very very static not a living breathing world. Again last on e I played was whatever version came out in demo form on Wii U in the west so this may be common place for the series for all I know.

thefil

Well the T-Rex monster decided he was tired at one point and just didn't want to be lured up to the upper levels and ran back to his lair. I felt kind of bad the players just kept forcing it into a fight when dude just wanted to sleep or something. It seemed like random monsters decided to check out the action at times when they weren't necessarily scripted to be there. The environment seemed to be more interconnected with some verticality to it whereas the last MH I played was divided into zones and loading screens in between areas and it seemed to be very very static not a living breathing world. Again last on e I played was whatever version came out in demo form on Wii U in the west so this may be common place for the series for all I know.

Which booth is the theatre demo at at E3? Wasn't there today but gonna be tomorrow. Did you have to sign up or was it first come first serve? How busy was it, was it hard to get into?

Kyoufu

Impressions from those who saw it being played so far got me like

vyixusp.gif

It sounds amazing.

Qvoth

super jealous of you now :<
my only gripes as of now are no local multiplayer and damage numbers

My only gripes so far:

- detective vision (need to see more of the implementation)
- damage numbers (it's gonna be so distracting. hoping for a toggle)

Tratorn

Sorry for late reply, it's a private demo you can sign up for at E3. Four developers from Japan playing the game unscripted (they were unable to defeat Rathalos lol).

[...wall of impressions....]

Thanks for the impressions guys, really looking forward to the 20th now.

Sorry for late reply, it's a private demo you can sign up for at E3. Four developers from Japan playing the game unscripted (they were unable to defeat Rathalos lol).

Started demo off with just one hunter, he tracked the new monster with "scout flies" ...

when the battle got rough, he led the new monster to Rathalos Nest very high up in the environment.

Rathalos was pissed to see the hunter and the monster creeping into his lair and preceded to wreck everything.

Great animations of the monsters fighting each other. The lone hunter sends signal flare and 3 other devs join mid battle.

Lots of vertical combat, more than MH4. Seems all hunters have a grappling hook.

The monsters interactions with each other was very cool, they encountered 3 different large monsters during demo.
One of them ate an herbivore whole lol.

The rapid fire on the heavy bowgun is a special ability.

The combat looks and feels like traditional monster hunter with quality of life improvements.

Day and night cycle is realtime, Rathalos destroyed a dam which cause an area to flood. Sweeping 2 of the hunters out of the area.

I really like that they went back to a more prehistoric feeling and mood to the game.

The fours hunters fighting together looked awesome, Rathalos has many new attacks, throws and animations.

The bow has a nice new attack which drops small bombs on top of the monsters.

I think they finally updated the Rathalos model haha.
I wish it was a bit more stylized, but the Graphics look great.

Sounds like a winner.

My only gripes so far:

- detective vision (need to see more of the implementation)
- damage numbers (it's gonna be so distracting. hoping for a toggle)

This, the deliberate lack of Prowlers, and not being handheld or having local play are my major gripes so far. I can see the potential of it being a natural progression and it being a true sequel in all but name. I'm gonna be super cautious, but if it plays like MoHun, I could be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom