• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX for Switch ships 300,000 units in Asia

MisterR

Compare it to Capcom's own internal expectations, not any other outside perception. They expect 300k-500k shipped in Japan by the end of next March. They're at 200k two weeks in.

That's a very good start on a console with a constantly growing install base and a holiday season coming up.

Didn't it only sell about 50% or so of it's shipment for first week? That's not exactly killing it.

Not really for a Monster Hunter game, at all. Not to mention this is shipped, not sold.

This game has two big things going against it..

- It's a re-release of a six month old game
- It launched after the announcement of the next mainline entry

Within that context, these numbers seem fine. I'm not sure I'd call them impressive, but they're definitely not bad.

luulubuu

Within that context, these numbers seem fine. I'm not sure I'd call them impressive, but they're definitely not bad.

This is also a handheld game, so thats like the most important thing ever

MisterR

Within that context, these numbers fine. I'm not sure I'd call them impressive, but they're definitely not bad.

Sure, you're absolutely right about that. The results are fine. Looking at the MC thread, it's just barely past selling half of that first Japanese shipment with a 68% drop this week. That's far from impressive, but it's fine and it may be able to meet internal expectations.

Didn't it only sell about 50% or so of it's shipment for first week? That's not exactly killing it.

It sold enough to warrant a restock at least, and again this is only two weeks in on a leggy title.

It's obviously not setting the world (Japan) on fire but it's performing fairly well considering the circumstances. I'd say if it hits Capcom's seemingly lofty expectations then it performed quite well.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Not really for a Monster Hunter game, at all. Not to mention this is shipped, not sold.

This is just another version of the 3DS game, MHXX, which in itself is another version of the original 3DS game, MHX/Generations. The latter sold 3.45 million units worldwide, while the former sold 1.59 million copies.

But somehow 300k copies shipped in a month for the third version of a game released within two years and only officially in Japan is not good at all. Sure.

MisterR

It sold enough to warrant a restock at least, and again this is only two weeks in on a leggy title.

It's obviously not setting the world (Japan) on fire but it's performing fairly well considering the circumstances. I'd say if it hits Capcom's seemingly lofty expectations then it performed quite well.

Be interesting to see if this one ends up being a "leggy title", that first week drop isn't great. Especially considering the Switch moved a pretty good lot of hardware for the week.

tkscz

101866585_0.jpg

zelas

These expectations were never confirmed to be directly from Capcom.

And it obv. met those expectations. If they expected to ship 300-500k by 31.March 2018.....being at 300k in less than a months is quite telling.
What was actually sold compared to what was shipped illustrates their expectations just fine. I don't think selling half of what they shipped is the success they had in mind.

MisterR

What was actually sold compared to what was shipped illustrates their expectations just fine. I don't think selling half of what they shipped is the success they had in mind.

Yep, The vast majority of sells are going to happen the first couple weeks. Gaming is very front loaded with sells. It's doing ok for a port, but I really doubt they were thinking it would be sitting at 50% sell through after a couple weeks and the 68% drop doesn't give a ton of hope that it's got great legs.

LordKano

Yep, The vast majority of sells are going to happen the first couple weeks. Gaming is very front loaded with sells. It's doing ok for a port, but I really doubt they were thinking it would be sitting at 50% sell through after a couple weeks and the 68% drop doesn't give a ton of hope that it's got great legs.

It's having good legs though, it will have no issue selling the first shipment + an additional 100k by next March.

gtj1092

Ask again when World's sales are known. If World is wildly popular with 4m sales, it could mean they ignore Switch and keep with this dirty deal (rumored but only thing that makes sense to me) with Sony, or it crawls past 1m and MH5 is announced for Switch at year end meeting with Capcom board members

This post is amazing. Dirty deal lol.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Capcom already made their money and the retailers are happy with the performance/expect longterm sales. I cant think of any reason why Capcom wouldnt be satisfied with those results.

When a publishers announces that game X has shipped millions of copies it rarely means that we are talking about a 95% sellthrough rate. Thats just how it works....retailers order the amount of copies they think they can sell from Capcom - Capcom got paid for those 300k units.

z0m3le

Banned
This post is amazing. Dirty deal lol.

It's an opinion based on a rumor that is the only thing that makes sense to me personally. MHW is done in MT framework still, the same engine as every MH game on 3DS, Wii, switch and Wii U. Why the game isn't being ported to Switch but is coming to XB1, is impossibly bad business decision, which capcom is capable of sure, or likely the deal that is rumored.

hiska-kun

Media Create

01./00. [NSW] Monster Hunter Double Cross: Nintendo Switch Ver. # <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.08.25} (¥5.800) - 84.277 / NEW <48,95%> [Units shipped => 172.170]

The twitt says >200k in Japan, so digital sales over 28k.

68% drop first to second week is a good hold. What are you talking about? Retailers expect the title to have legs. The game wont have any issue going past 200k. It's been 2 weeks and the sell through is roughly 62%. It's actually performing fine.

I didn't realize that 2 weeks was the final limited to date. I think you're not really in any position to claim that their shipment expectations are wrong

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

It had a good second week hold and given the the type of title and the low install base it will continue to sell.

Zedark

Look at this:

Media Create

01./00. [NSW] Monster Hunter Double Cross: Nintendo Switch Ver. # <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.08.25} (¥5.800) - 84.277 / NEW <48,95%> [Units shipped => 172.170]

The twitt says >200k in Japan, so digital sales over 28k.

Combining with the second week sales, total sell-through is around 140k:
Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2017 (Aug 28 - Sep 03)

04./01. [NSW] Monster Hunter Double Cross: Nintendo Switch Ver. # <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.08.25} (¥5.800) - 27.120 / 111.396 (-68%)
(111.396 + 28k ~= 140k). So, Japanese sell-through is about 70 percent compared to the total shipment + digital sales number provided by Mochizuki's tweet (sold through 65% of physical shipment). Selling through the 200k for Japan is going to happen easily. We don't know how well Asia is selling through its allocation, but it doesn't seem reasonable to me to think that they are slacking off a lot compared to Japan. So, it should be possible for the game to have sold through at least 200k already, and from there it will easily sell through 300k, and go beyond that quite a bit as well.

tkscz

Correct me if I'm wrong but shipped means Capcom sold 300k units to stores. The percentage is what those stores sold, which is money that wouldn't go to Capcom in the first place as they already bought the units from Capcom.

Lizardus

Monster Hunter XX Switch Ver. is a Monster.

Wouldn't be surprised if lot of those digital sales came from the west.

People also forget that Monster Hunter Generations sold more than 4m worldwide and MHXX 3DS (it's expansion) has sold 1.6m in Japan.

I'm wondering why people seem to think MH will stop selling in Japan after 200k sales until March?

Also, hope Japan passes the Revelations test. :p

Toxi

Banned
It's an opinion based on a rumor that is the only thing that makes sense to me personally. MHW is done in MT framework still, the same engine as every MH game on 3DS, Wii, switch and Wii U. Why the game isn't being ported to Switch but is coming to XB1, is impossibly bad business decision, which capcom is capable of sure, or likely the deal that is rumored.
The "rumor" that was wrong about basically everything else?

Mory Dunz

still weird that it didn't come west.

Is localizing MH a big task? I don't play it, but I know there's no VA or exceedingly long text boxes

Is localizing MH a big task? I don't play it, but I know there's no VA or exceedingly long text boxes

There is a lot of text in the games. But shitty RPGs that sell like 50k units in the West with more text than MH get localized every other day. There isn't any real excuse. Especially given half of XX was already localized as Generations. Capcom is just being garbage as per usual.

TheMoon

There is a lot of text in the games. But shitty RPGs that sell like 50k units in the West with more text than MH get localized every other day. There isn't any real excuse. Especially given half of XX was already localized as Generations. Capcom is just being garbage as per usual.

this has been frustrating me for years. trash-mediocre games often get localized but titles that people are drooling over get buried in a drawer.

Would love to see this game being localized but it is not going to happen I think :(
Hopefully Cacpom will now port more games...fingers crossed for a proper Resident Evil Collection!

No.

They just don't want people to play it. They are too obsessed with making World a multi million seller in the west.

this has been frustrating me for years. trash-mediocre games often get localized but titles that people are drooling over get buried in a drawer.

I have just stopped caring. If Japanese publishers can't be bothered to localize their games I can't be bothered to care. I'm not begging for shit anymore. Localize your games or I will just not buy any of your experimental projects. I'm not investing in a series for you to fuck around and not localize future iterations. Naw fam. Market has too many games to waste my time

zelas

retailers are happy with the performance

Thats just how it works....retailers order the amount of copies they think they can sell from Capcom

These two statements of yours do not square. Retailers only expected half of what capcom expected to sell, so they ordered an additional 50%? That makes no sense. Who buys that many units just to have them sit and lose value?

I mean hell, you yourself have said Capcom's expectation could be achieved, but MONTHS from now. Show me when it has become a regular occurrence for retailers to stockpile 100k+ units just to slowly move units using future price drops. Because I don't think "that's just how it works."

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
These two statements of yours do not square. Retailers only expected half of what capcom expected to sell, so they ordered an additional 50%? That makes no sense. Who buys that many units just to have them sit and lose value?

I mean hell, you yourself have said Capcom's expectation could be achieved, but MONTHS from now. Show me when it has become a regular occurrence for retailers to stockpile 100k+ units just to slowly move units using future price drops. Because I don't think "that's just how it works."

Thats how it works for most mayor releases with legs - you think retailers loose their sleep on a Nintendo title if only half of the shipment has been sold after week 1 ? No, because they have confidence in the product and now it will sale for months/years without them having to cut the price.

Holiday season is starting soon and Switch sales in Japan will be massive - we hear so much about software shortages from Japan during that time of the year for big games on Nintendo systems, not surprising that retailers would rather have some more stock and be prepared this time.

I hope that's not good for them. I actually hope it's a flop!

Maybe they'll use a condom next time they decide to fuck the west.

Zedark

I wonder when that shipment's going to sell. What are we at now? 111k in Japan after 2 weeks?

We know they shipped 172k physical units at launch, and they sold through 111k of those. If the legs are good, they can sell through the remaining 61k in 6-8 weeks I think, if not slightly faster even.

Top Bottom