• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Changes to Bravely Second in the West

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I tried to search but didn't find anything. Might be buried in the BS threads? Not sure. Anyways, I ran across these two videos on twitter about more changes to costumes in Bravely Second.

https://youtu.be/wpOqTxwOM1U

This has details more costumes changes. Mainly, five instances of tummy or some breast skin being shown was covered up.

Also, this video details that the Art Book in the west has been changed as well.

https://youtu.be/jrTjs6Y67Z4

This one compares the two books. Notice how in the both books, the Native American Job stuff was kept in while changed in the game. Doh.

Censorship or not or whatever. I'm not going to go into it (that's why I said "changes"). But I didn't see a thread on these extra changes (just the Native American job to Cowboy job) so here you go.

Edit:

You forgot to mention this here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/740205-bravely-second-end-layer/73362981/845347950

That's a different league of censorship.

Edit: What Tohsaka said.

Nice. So we have some side stories changed. Lovely.

Indeed. And for those who didn't klick that link to avoid possible spoiler:

"They removed all the non-neutral sidequest/Asterisk quest outcomes; any choices that would cause characters to die have been removed. Whatever choice you make now, you'll receive the neutral outcome where both sides make it out ok. Compare this to the Japanese versions where you had 4 different outcomes, with VOICED cutscenes!"

Eolz

Not surprised for the costumes since it's the same thing than with Bravely Default.
Weird for the artbook though, since it's just a bloody character and some really light bondage.

And so people don't blame the wrong studio, like the first time, Square-Enix made the decision for those changes, not Nintendo.

Olengie

XsXIj34.png

Jawmuncher

Not big changes, but I see them as uneeded. I ain't paying for the localization efforts so doesn't bother me.

Edit: just seeing the bigger chances. Ugh.

Whizkid7

And so people don't blame the wrong studio, like the first time, Square-Enix made the decision for those changes, not Nintendo.

Too late. Well, not here (not yet) but on other forums people are already screaming "F YOU NINTENDO".

Not too bothered by the changes but it's funny how the developers said back when it was announced that they were going for more realistic proportions. I guess someone at the Western branch thought they still look like children?

kswiston

Too late. Well, not here (not yet) but on other forums people are already screaming "F YOU NINTENDO".

I think sales reports for Fire Emblem Fates do a good job at demonstrating the importance most gamers put on minor localization censorship. IE very little outside of a small vocal group (whose voice is amplified in places like GAF).

I don't get localization changes sometimes.

In Bravely Default they edited those costumes yet kept in the fact the Red Mage dude basically had a rape dungeon.

Ranmo

The only costume I think looks better uncensored is that last purple one. I'm totally fine with the changes honestly. Her main costume with the added white strip I actually like significantly more then the original.

Eolz

Are you ready to ride this train again everyone?

I don't think it will have a lot of impact (apart from the "artbooks too?!" stance), since it's basically the same as the first game, and apart from the indian/cowboy, don't change that much.
Still disappointing though, obviously.

Yep, that's why I tried to say it as soon as possible. I try to correct people when I can on my timeline too, but it's understandable after all the changes NOA pulled last year.

Whizkid7

I think sales reports for Fire Emblem Fates do a good job at demonstrating the importance most gamers put on minor localization censorship. IE very little outside of a small vocal group (whose voice is amplified in places like GAF).

True, which is why it gets so annoying to see it plastered all over the Internet.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Never ending cycle.
Changes are made
Crying of "censorship"
Crying about the crying about censorship.
Nobody will talk about the actual game part of the fucking game.

Why do minor changes shove a giant stick in people's asses? I'm not an apologist but I still enjoyed these allegedly "butchered" games because I'm not insane.

/v/ is the worst when it comes to it. The mental gymnastics I saw when the news broke that Fates was a huge hit were enough to quality for the olympics.

Not being okay with loc changes doesn't automatically mean that you boycott the product

The majority will never be aware that there were changes in the first place

hodgy100

Never ending cycle.
Changes are made
Crying of "censorship"
Crying about the crying about censorship.
Nobody will talk about the actual game part of the fucking game.

Why do minor changes shove a giant stick in people's asses? I'm not an apologist but I still enjoyed these allegedly "butchered" games because I'm not insane.

People dont understand that all types of media are simply changed to maximize sales in different regions

People dont understand that all types of media are simply changed to maximize sales in different regions

Or people understand but still disagree with the practice

I would consider that just as dumb

We have no way too know how much the changes affected FE Fates sales. Probably not significantly in either direction

Mugenjin

I don't really care about the costumes. But apparently something vital was changed in how the side stories are resolved the first time. That's the stuff that should piss people off even if minor instead of changed costumes nobody should care about.

It's actually not just costumes and the art book. Like I posted in the OT, they censored multiple sidequests to make the outcomes appear less negative. This actually affects the story.
Now that just sounds fucking stupid. Changing the quest so everybody is happy and nobody is sad? What's the point? What tumblr/Parent's group is Nintendo so afraid of in this regard?

LiK

changing stuff in game is fine but why the artbook? are they literally photoshopping over original art?

ZeroX03

Banned
Now that just sounds fucking stupid. Changing the quest so everybody is happy and nobody is sad? What's the point? What tumblr/Parent's group is Nintendo so afraid of in this regard?

"Everybody is happy" is certainly not true for every sidequest in the English version. There's still some heavy stuff.

Pointless and unnecessary

Just like the game

I'm really enjoying the game, a lot more than your post.

JordanKZ

People still have very negative outcomes, but yes, there is clearly a couple of sidequests that have had their 'bad ends' changed pretty significantly.

Game boycotts don't work, period. We've seen it with things regarding shitty practices from censorship to DLC. That doesn't mean we can't let Nintendo or SQEX or Activision or whoever know that we're unhappy with those practices, it's just that "vote with your dollar" won't make a difference.

I don't care about the outfit changes they make in the game but censoring an art book is maybe a little over the line. Art books are suppose to show all different stages of character design and worlds.

SephLuis

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's actually not just costumes and the art book. Like I posted in the OT, they censored multiple sidequests to make the outcomes appear less negative. This actually affects the story.

While I personally couldn't care less about this change, it seems more like something worth complaining about than most of them censorship junk people whine about. Really odd decision.

Yasumi

Banned
Costume changes are par the course for games localized on Nintendo systems these days. Art being removed from the artbook and sidequest bad-end removal are incredibly dumb though.

Top Bottom