• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More TG16s in Japan than Xboxes, says report

WindyMan

http://www.video-fenky.com/archives/000238.html

This CESA report (5250 yen from their site) is actually full of fun surprises, by the way:

* More people listed themselves as owning a PC Engine than an Xbox
* 96.9% of Japanese aren't aware that games have rating marks on them
* 47.6% of non-gamers have never seen a game commercial on TV
* The "Opinions on the Game Industry" section is full of comments taken verbatim from what must be very hardcore game fans telling companies like Sega to try harder
* The question "What older game would you like to try playing on new systems?" brought forth maniacal answers like Takeshi no Chosenjo and 1980 SNK arcade "classic" Sasuke vs. Commander
* To the question "What is your favorite game ever?", someone replied with Attack Animal Gakuen, a Famicom Space Harrier clone starring some chick in a schoolgirl outfit

I'm pretty surprised. You'd think that more people would have played Attack Animal Gakuen.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Gunsmoke said:
huh ?
PC-Engine was huge in Japan at the time with so many varied incarnations.
It's not a TurboGFX16 which was a flop in the states.

This thread is decieving and isn't the answer obvious ?
It's like saying there are more Super Nintendo owners than Atari Jaguars.

Agreed, the PC-Engine was hugely successful in Japan. Very misleading title.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Heck, even I own a Turbo-Grafx.

(I do not own an Xbox.)

GigaDrive

Banned
PC Engine outsold the Famicom at one point, although PC Engine didnt surpass the Famicom userbase. Its no surprise more Japanese own a PC Engine or other model of NEC-Husdon's 8-Bitter, than Xboxs.

WindyMan

Nerevar said:
Agreed, the PC-Engine was hugely successful in Japan. Very misleading title.

Not really, a person knows what a "TG16" is, while a "PCE" won't be immediately recognizable.

Either way, you clicked on it and read the post. I win.

MASB

More people listed themselves as owning a PC Engine than an Xbox
----------------------

Johnny Turbo says all is right with the world. ;)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
* 47.6% of non-gamers have never seen a game commercial on TV
I believe this news.

The only times I've seen game commercials since I arrived in this country was during some kid's show cohosted by a robot that I saw the first week I was here and during Naruto. At no other time have I seen game commercials.

Top Bottom