• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat(Vita) |OT| Blood in the Streets

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Some great news here: while the game runs below Vita's native resolution during gameplay, it runs at full resolution everywhere else in the game. That means the Krypt, Necropolis and other extra areas run at the proper Vita resolution, so that the text for the extras are super sharp and the unlocked art looks fantastic.

Lovin' the game so far despite sinking tons of hours in the PS3 version.

btkadams

Some great news here: while the game runs below Vita's native resolution during gameplay, it runs at full resolution everywhere else in the game. That means the Krypt, Necropolis and other extra areas run at the proper Vita resolution, so that the text for the extras are super sharp and the unlocked art looks fantastic.

Lovin' the game so far despite sinking tons of hours in the PS3 version.

great to hear! mine is downloading now. i actually had planned on getting the ps3 version once it went down in price (since i don't play too many fighting games), but forgot about it. the vita version is perfect for me.

Adr1an

Nice to see it getting good reviews.

Never bought the console versions so I'm gonna pick up this version instead

I have this on PS3 already, but decided to double dip despite the initial awful reception of the graphics. Glad I did, the character models aren't the greatest but it's fine in motion and it's pretty much like the console versions otherwise. Got it digitally so it's always on my memory card. The Challenge Tower translates well to a portable system. This will get loads of playtime from me.

So how is online play? I'm not familiar with how it was on the console version. Playable, not playable, top notch, or awful?

Can you turn off that wiping blood off the screen thing? I bet someone covered this, but I'm a busy man and I have achieved anyway, despite not having the use of my legs.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Downloaded it, quick impressions:

- graphics are not as bad on Vita screen and in motion, you can't see lighting or some shader effects in still shots. Importantly stuff like character effects, smoke, fire, projectiles, are not the SUPER low res texture replacements Capcom used in UMVC3. IMO the visual tradeoffs here are more balanced. Not as lopsided a port.

- Frame rate is rock solid 60fps during gameplay. Drops to steady 30fps during x-rays and real time fight intros / outros and during fatalities. Same as Tekken on PSP. Doesn't seem jarring, it's basically "cut scene mode".

- Sound is perfect, clean, all voices and music tracks seem there.

- Vita d-pad proves its gldk superiority yet again, game plays so well on it. Isn't it weird to keep saying this about a portable Sony system? LOL!

- Swipe to trigger fatalities is actually cool and makes them easier to do without moving your character or hitting the wrong button.

- Yep, it's full of Kontent (tm), stupid amounts of it. Bonus challenge tower uses the (formerly) DLC characters.

- If you didn't have the PS3 version, Kratos is a blast to play. He's fun and he fits surprisingly well, in the same way Freddy fits MK's universe like a bladed glove.

- Online play is more basic, doesn't have giant text lobbies or endless battle rooms, but it may play better than the console versions by a tad based on what I tried.

- A bit disappointed that augmented reality mode is limited to a training stage gimmick, as the early koncept screens for the game showed the fighters overlayed onto reality with effects to make them seem like they were digging into the (real) ground and such. Could have been cool.

I think it's too bad they didn't offer a digital discount, but it's hard to knock the game. The visual presentation is more balanced than UMVC3, it plays flawlessly, and has a stupid amount of kontent.

BlazBlue is still the best Vita fighting game IMO in terms of being perfect in every area and has more modes that relate to primary gameplay rather than tons of mini-games. MK comes in a very close second, but it's more mainstream in its appeal so factor that in.

Can you turn off that wiping blood off the screen thing? I bet someone covered this, but I'm a busy man and I have achieved anyway, despite not having the use of my legs.

Bloody screen is a bonus game I think, doesn't happen during normal play.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just did the bonus challenge tower with Scorpion Vs the Bear.

This game was so worth the money. Bwahaha

Downloaded it, quick impressions:

- graphics are not as bad on Vita screen and in motion, you can't see lighting or some shader effects in still shots. Importantly stuff like character effects, smoke, fire, projectiles, are not the SUPER low res texture replacements Capcom used in UMVC3. IMO the visual tradeoffs here are more balanced. Not as lopsided a port.

- Frame rate is rock solid 60fps during gameplay. Drops to steady 30fps during x-rays and real time fight intros / outros and during fatalities. Same as Tekken on PSP. Doesn't seem jarring, it's basically "cut scene mode".

- Sound is perfect, clean, all voices and music tracks seem there.

- Vita d-pad proves its gldk superiority yet again, game plays so well on it. Isn't it weird to keep saying this about a portable Sony system? LOL!

- Swipe to trigger fatalities is actually cool and makes them easier to do without moving your character or hitting the wrong button.

- Yep, it's full of Kontent (tm), stupid amounts of it. Bonus challenge tower uses the (formerly) DLC characters.

- If you didn't have the PS3 version, Kratos is a blast to play. He's fun and he fits surprisingly well, in the same way Freddy fits MK's universe like a bladed glove.

- Online play is more basic, doesn't have giant text lobbies or endless battle rooms, but it may play better than the console versions by a tad based on what I tried.

- A bit disappointed that augmented reality mode is limited to a training stage gimmick, as the early koncept screens for the game showed the fighters overlayed onto reality with effects to make them seem like they were digging into the (real) ground and such. Could have been cool.

I think it's too bad they didn't offer a digital discount, but it's hard to knock the game. The visual presentation is more balanced than UMVC3, it plays flawlessly, and has a stupid amount of kontent.

BlazBlue is still the best Vita fighting game IMO in terms of being perfect in every area and has more modes that relate to primary gameplay rather than tons of mini-games. MK comes in a very close second, but it's more mainstream in its appeal so factor that in.

Bloody screen is a bonus game I think, doesn't happen during normal play.

Outstanding writeup. You've covered nearly every aspect of the game and now I can make a decision. Bravo!

So I'm an Australian, where the man has decided this game is not fit for public consumption.

Would there be anything stopping me from nabbing this from the US PSN store?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So I'm an Australian, where the man has decided this game is not fit for public consumption.

I don't see what would! But I don't know how regional accounts work on the vita.

You basically have to reset your Vita every time you want to switch country accounts. Not recommended.

ReaperXL7

someone needs to make a list of PSNs yo esports

If people would like to add their PSN to the thread i'd be happy to keep a list in the OP, but thats up the others. Mine is ReaperXL7 for anyone that would like to add me, probably won't be able to play much for a couple of days as i've got some other stuff coming up, but i'd be happy to play with anyone that would like to when I can.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

No, but it would be pretty troublesome to switch between accounts. I'd suggest that you switch to a US account permanently, since I don't think the australian store would be cheaper anyway.

This is probably my favorite portable fighter since DOA: Dimensions. I was addicted to that a year ago. So much fun.

No, but it would be pretty troublesome to switch between accounts. I'd suggest that you switch to a US account permanently, since I don't think the australian store would be cheaper anyway.

Ol' Poimandres is a US PSN account holder solely on Vita. It's the way to go.

ReaperXL7

ok so I added a spot in the OP for PSN IDs, if anyone wants to put theirs up to play other Gaffers either post them here or PM me and i'll add your Id to the list.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
There's so much freaking content in this game. I will never get to it all.

fernoca

A few reminders:
-Story Mode saves automatically
-If some fights are too cheap, you can change the difficulty of it
-Story Mode is a one time affair; meaning that you can't revisit chapters later or at specific points and when finished; the next time you return you'll start right at the beginning.
-You can unlock character's alt costume (at least for the original roster + Kratos) by beating Ladder Mode
-Said costumes can also be purchased on The Krypt
-Beating Ladder Mode also unlocks said character ending
-If you choose to beat Ladder Mode to unlock an alt, beating it on Tag Ladder unlocks the costumes for both characters; but not the second character's ending.
-After unlocking an alt-costume, you need to go to Nekropolis to said character's model to "unlock" their item. That item is what unlocks the costume.
-New costumes are unlocked on the new Challenge Tower
-Beating the original Challenge tower unlocks a costume
Flesh Pit Mileena

And to have some fun playing with others online... from the original OT:

ny1gP.png

• Klassic Music: 1-0-1 / 1-0-1
  • Armless Kombat: 9-1-1 / 9-1-1
  • Blocking Disabled: 0-2-0 / 0-2-0
  • Breakers Disabled: 0-9-0 / 0-9-0
  • Dark Kombat: 0-2-2 / 0-2-2
  • Double Dash: 3-9-1 / 1-9-3
  • Dream Kombat: 2-2-2 /: 5-5-5
  • Enhance Moves Disabled: 0-5-1 / 1-5-0
  • Explosive Kombat: 2-2-7 / 2-2-7
  • Foreground Objects Disabled: 0-0-1 / 0-0-1
  • Headless Kombat: 8-0-8 / 8-0-8
  • Health Recovery: 0-1-2 / 0-1-2
  • Hyper Fighting: 0-9-1 / 0-9-1
  • Invisible Kombat: 7-7-0 / 7-7-0
  • Jumping Disabled: 8-3-1 / 8-3-1
  • Combos Disabled: 9-3-1 / 9-3-1
  • No Blood: 9-0-0 / 9-0-0
  • Player 2 Half Health: 0-0-0 / 1-1-0
  • Power Bars Disabled: 4-0-4 / 4-0-4
  • Psycho Kombat: 7-0-7 / 7-0-7
  • Quick Uppercut Recovery: 3-0-3 / 3-0-3
  • Rainbow Kombat: 2-3-4 / 2-3-4
  • Sans Power: 0-4-4 / 4-4-0
  • Silent Kombat: 3-0-0 / 3-0-0
  • Specials Disabled: 7-3-1 /: 7-3-1
  • Super Recovery: 1-2-3 / 1-2-3
  • Throwing Disabled: 1-0-0 / 1-0-0
  • Throwing Encouraged: 0-1-0 / 0-1-0
  • Tournament Mode: 1-1-1 / 1-1-1
  • Unlimited Super Meter: 4-6-6 / 4-6-6
  • Vampire Kombat: 4-2-4 / 4-2-4
  • X-Rays Disabled: 2-4-2 / 2-4-2
  • Zombie Kombat: 6-6-6 / 6-6-6

And voice chat seems to work against randoms too.

Last reminder...
Bab
alities need to be performed in order to see on the moves list. And to perform one you can't block an attack (You can block but as long as you're not hit you'll be fine).

impact

Banned
I can honestly say that IMO, the Vita has the best D-pad I've ever used.

I have big hands so I wish it was a little bigger, but yea it's pretty amazing for 2D games and fighting games.

Finally played some good people online, which is great. Lots of Reptiles though, no one does the stylin' ChrisG combo.

What "early concept" Screens are you referring to? I hope you aren't referring to that trailer a few months back...

I beat the ladder mode for Scorpion earlier and did not get his alt costume. Is something different? I never saw the message about getting his harpoon or anything. I went to the crypt and selected him, but still nothing.

Top Bottom