• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movie Epic Battles - Anything that can trump LOTR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Fuck the haters, I love the Pelennor Fields battle in RotK. Although if it had played out in the films the way it happened in books I probably would have loved it more.

This goddamn scene always makes me well up too.

I always loved the opening battle in FotR as well.

Kingdom Heaven's battles are also incredible, despite the fact that many of them contain just as much CGI as LotR.

I though the battle at the end redeemed the movie. It is a great sequence even though its pure computer magic (The shots have more variety than ROTK tough).

Loxley

I though the battle at the end redeemed the movie. It is a great sequence even though its pure computer magic (The shots have more variety than ROTK tough).

Avatar (and Rise of the Planet of Apes) shows how far Weta have come since they did Return of the King. The quality in CG is practically night and day, so I can't wait to see what they come up with for The Hobbit.

Spartacus, because none of the armies shown were CGI. Though I do love LOTR.

5462677995_2b848888c9.jpg
Came here to post exactly this. I love this film.

Decado

The battles in LotR are easily the best among PG-13 movies (not say much, really), but I'd say most of my favourite historical epics had better battle scenes.

Fitz

The battle scene in Gladiator is amazing, such a great display of the tactics that made the Roman Empire.

Also I really liked the final battle in Mongol. Not much of a battle in the end but a good display of random tactics, ruthlessness and luck.

v0yce

Put me with the camp who thinks the battles in LotR were some of its weakest moments. The CG was simply too off putting. Plus I hated how over the top the big orcs (whatever you call them) acted so it was hard to take them seriously. SSSAAARRRUUUUMMMMAAAANNNN! Yesh.

I'd have to go with Saving Private Ryan taking the beach. I'm not a huge fan of the movie but that scene stands up with anything put on film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom