• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mufasa: The Lion King | Teaser Trailer

Hrk69

"Mufasa: The Lion King," the new film coming to theaters Dec. 20 explores the unlikely rise of the beloved king of the Pride Lands. The film has an all-star roster of talent bringing new and fan-favorite characters to life—plus, celebrated award-winning songwriter Lin-Manuel Miranda is writing the film's songs produced by Mark Mancina and Miranda, with additional music and performances by Lebo M.

Said Miranda, "Elton John. Tim Rice. Hans Zimmer. Lebo M. Mark Mancina. Beyoncé, Labrinth, Ilya Salmanzadeh. Beau Black, Ford Riley, the incredible music team on 'The Lion Guard,' and so many musical contributors over the years. 'The Lion King' has an incredible musical legacy with music from some of the greatest songwriters around, and I'm humbled and proud to be a part of it. It's been a joy working alongside Barry Jenkins to bring Mufasa's story to life, and we can't wait for audiences to experience this film in theaters."

Blending live-action filmmaking techniques with photoreal computer-generated imagery, "Mufasa: The Lion King" is directed by Barry Jenkins, produced by Adele Romanski & Mark Ceryak, and executive produced by Peter Tobyansen.

RqglQgq.jpeg

Fbh

Was slightly interested when I saw the thread title. But it went away pretty quickly when I saw It's the soulless CG take on Lion King.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Why are they making this trash live action instead of animated like God intended?
Live action? Dude, that's like 100% CG. You think they trained a lion cub to run over hippos?

While it's impressive from a technical standpoint I don't think it has any emotional weight what so ever. The only value this movie has (for me) is maybe they developed some better tools for a project I will care about later on.

Billbofet

Disney has truly lost any and all magic they once had.
Who gets anything out of prequels where you know the main character is going to be murdered and you know how and who.
This shit sucks so bad.

The only upside to this movie is having the distinction of being the only animated feature in the last five years to NOT have Aquafina in it.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I wanna see it they need to do some r rated lion coalition type animated movies like the rise and downfall of the mapogo coalition

Rran

"Mufasa: The Lion King," the new film coming to theaters Dec. 20 explores the unlikely rise of the beloved king of the Pride Lands. The film has an all-star roster of talent bringing new and fan-favorite characters to life—plus, celebrated award-winning songwriter Lin-Manuel Miranda is writing the film's songs produced by Mark Mancina and Miranda, with additional music and performances by Lebo M.
This is the worst paragraph I've ever read.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Digital de-ageing has gotten too good; Mufasa looks exactly how he did on that sitcom in the early 80s.

Also, I showed up for Beale Street in theaters, so you can’t blame me for this one.

the fact people actually think this is live action just shows the ignorance people have regarding VFX. The problem isn't they are going cgi. The problem is the choice of art direction. By going for a photo realism aesthetic, they immediately limited themselves the range of emotions the characters can express without going to uncanny valley. Animals in real life don't have human like expressions, whereas in the 94 film, all the characters have very exaggerated human like expressions.

Saber

Gold Member
New Disney is not capable of handling old Disney movies. I'm sure there will be some crap idea in it or they gonna do dirty with the characters, no wonder they have to state its a Lion King film.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I’m slightly interested for the music, the reboot was a disappointment in this area, but Lin-Manuel Miranda knows how to write songs.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I mean, it's 99% CGI, so it is animated. Just not in the way we would want.

Live action? Dude, that's like 100% CG. You think they trained a lion cub to run over hippos?

While it's impressive from a technical standpoint I don't think it has any emotional weight what so ever. The only value this movie has (for me) is maybe they developed some better tools for a project I will care about later on.

the fact people actually think this is live action just shows the ignorance people have regarding VFX.
No one thinks they popped over to Africa and trained some animals to speak, act, and sing. It's a reference to the art style.

Top Bottom