• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music that resembles classical music! (Bach, mozart, beethoven, and so on...)

So, just wanted to make a thread where we share music that are in a classical style, are inspired by it, and so on (NOT REPRISE OF EXISTING PIECES, I'M LOOKING FOR ORIGINAL MUSIC)!
Always loved classical music and love when i hear them in games! You can also put Opera or any other style (even metal) as long as it's clear it's heavily inspired from classicla style

Castlevania of course, the biggest serie that does that :

Gargoyle's quest had a lot too, especially 2:

Dragon Quest also :

And here some other ones scattered through different games :

there's a lot more of course! Share the one you like!

Just remembered about the cathedral of shadow track from SMT IV (most of them come from previous MEGATEN games) :

Shin Megami Tensei IV OST - Cathedral of Shadows #1 -

Shin Megami Tensei IV OST - Cathedral of Shadows #2 -

Shin Megami Tensei IV OST - Cathedral of Shadows #3 -

Shin Megami Tensei IV OST - Cathedral of Shadows #4 -

Portal 2 has the track called Machiavelllian Bach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrnmgMdvI6U

ho yeah i forgot this one, it was pretty good!

McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure has a level where Swan Lake plays as you traverse a train track while jumping across ballerinas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2FIojP8VuU

Catherine's main stages used remixed/re-composed versions of classical music. It turned out pretty good.

i guess my title wasn't clear enough, sorry about that, but please guys read the thread

Afrocious

Most of Catherine's music is renditions of famous pieces from noteworthy composers.

Also I don't know how to read so I will keep my post here adamantly.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
One of my favorite boss themes in all of Zelda is the music that plays when you score a critical hit on Scaldera/Tentalus in Skyward Sword, it totally got me pumped the first time I heard it.

I've always felt it had a very Bolero feel to it. The fact the song debuts in Skyward Sword's "Fire Temple, which in Ocarina of Time was represented by "Bolero of Fire", makes me think this was intentional. Or maybe it's just me.

EDIT: Oh, neat...so the Bolero reference goes deeper than that!

Obvious choice is The Legend of Zelda main theme! Originally, Nintendo planned to use a chip tune version of Ravel's Bolero for the Zelda main world theme. That sort of thing was common practice in the 8 bit era as many Classical themes were in the public domain.

But Bolero is from the late 1920's and wasn't quite old enough to fall into the public domain. So Kondo used Bolero as inspiration for an original track and composed the iconic Zelda theme in one day! Thirteen years later, with Bolero now in the public domain, Nintendo quoted its famous percussion directly in the Bolero of Fire track from Ocarina of Time.

This is amazing - just two days ago I was listening to a vinyl of Ravel's Bolero and Pavane for a Dead Princess and felt its influence in some of Kondo's work on Zelda. I came here to post that A Link to the Past's Intro and Forest music both have progressions that remind me of some classical music.

Dynamite Headdy inexplicably uses the Nutcracker March for an early boss.

This song has absolutely nothing to do with the boss, the stage that came before it, or the game in general.

I don't believe there are any other pieces of classical music used in the game. This is it.

I can't listen to the real song without instinctively inserting "TARGET, TARGET" into the song.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't read the first line of the thread! I penance, I offer the Mario Bros theme from Smash Bros Brawl

cireza

Yozu Koshiro's work on Story of Thor and Story of Thor 2.

Story of Thor 2 is my favorite soundtrack from him. Sadly, you can't find youtube videos of its entirety, but there are a few.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu6U8UAV3hg

Actraiser also has a good soundtrack, maybe not as classical as Story of Thor games, but still very good. And that's Yuzo Koshiro too.

Without a doubt the most diverse video-game music composer I know of.

Mother 3 - Leder's Gymnopedie

An adaptation of Eric Satie's gymnopedie no 1

Would be nice if a mod could modify the title to make it more clear! I fucked up with the current title! While it's pretty interesting about zelda, i made this thread for original music, not remixes of already exisiting classical pieces!

Yozu Koshiro's work on Story of Thor and Story of Thor 2.

Story of Thor 2 is my favorite soundtrack from him. Sadly, you can't find youtube videos of its entirety, but there are a few.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu6U8UAV3hg

Actraiser also has a good soundtrack, maybe not as classical as Story of Thor games, but still very good. And that's Yuzo Koshiro too.

Without a doubt the most diverse video-game music composer I know of.

yup, i'm a big fan of yuzo koshiro too, i already put actraiser in the OP, Thanks for story of thor, forgot about that one!

Here's some other ones :

Deemo OST (HD) - Myosotis

Shovel Knight - Courage Under Fire (Armorer Village)

Conker's Bad Fur Day - Sloprano (The Great Mighty Poo)

Bloodborne Soundtrack OST - Lady Maria (The Old Hunters)

Persona PSP OST - Poem for Everyone's Souls

Pyre Original Soundtrack - Grand Ceremony

OST Ni no Kuni - Field

The Devil on the G String. Well, one of its main themes is music so of course most of its soundtrack uses as inspiration classical music.

G Senjou no Aria # 5
The Devil
Kecchaku
Azai Gonzou
Tousou

nice, this game is on my backlog, will probably do it soon!

Killer Instinct - Sabrewulf theme

Intense, bombastic:
GigaWing 2 - Boss Music

The end of the world is here:
GigaWing 2 - Cloudy Sea

One of the best 8-bit/NES tunes, nobody knows about:
Sweet Home's fresco theme

Really love these, thanks for the discovery!

Linkark07

Banned
nice, this game is on my backlog, will probably do it soon!

Main route is awesome and you will enjoy it. Haru and Maou are always doing something to outwit the other one in their game of cat and mouse.

Plus, the japanese voice actor of P5 MC (Joker) voices Maou.

I've never subscribed to a thread so fast. Thanks everyone, this is great stuff.

Would be nice if a mod could modify the title to make it more clear! I fucked up with the current title! While it's pretty interesting about zelda, i made this thread for original music, not remixes of already exisiting classical pieces!

Por que no los dos?

I'm interested in both original and remixes!

This is amazing - just two days ago I was listening to a vinyl of Ravel's Bolero and Pavane for a Dead Princess and felt its influence in some of Kondo's work on Zelda. I came here to post that A Link to the Past's Intro and Forest music both have progressions that remind me of some classical music.

Fun story about the Pavane. Ravel despised pianists who took liberties with tempo to sound "artistic", so he admonished a pupil by saying "It's Pavane for a Dead Princess, not Dead Pavane for a Princess."

But the Zelda theme does fit your request. It's an original work inspired by Bolero.

Fun story about the Pavane. Ravel despised pianists who took liberties with tempo to sound "artistic", so he admonished a pupil by saying "It's Pavane for a Dead Princess, not Dead Pavane for a Princess."

But the Zelda theme does fit your request. It's an original work inspired by Bolero.

yeah sorry you're right about zelda, was a bit too quick to type that!

I've never subscribed to a thread so fast. Thanks everyone, this is great stuff.

Por que no los dos?

I'm interested in both original and remixes!

sure that's okay, but we should still be more clear with the title, because we'll only get remixes otherwise, haha! Anyway, happy that you subscribed, hope we'll get more contributions!

How about a soundtrack that quite literally takes from classical music? Drakengard/Drag-on Dragoon's OST was built out of classical music samples that were chopped, looped, and stretched to make a total nightmare soundscape. There are some really recognizable phrases in some of them, too, but built into a new classical-feeling score.

First Chapter - In the Sky
Third Chapter - In the Sky
Fourth Champter - On the Ground
Eighth Chapter - In the Sky

In Dark Souls 3, the Deacons of the Deep theme could easily have fit into a gothier chorale (minus the god awful cymbal crashes)

Likewise, Bloodborne has a ton of European classical inspired stuff - the Lady Maria theme being maybe the most obvious and dramatic one.

How about a soundtrack that quite literally takes from classical music? Drakengard/Drag-on Dragoon's OST was built out of classical music samples that were chopped, looped, and stretched to make a total nightmare soundscape. There are some really recognizable phrases in some of them, too, but built into a new classical-feeling score.

First Chapter - In the Sky
Third Chapter - In the Sky
Fourth Champter - On the Ground
Eighth Chapter - In the Sky

In Dark Souls 3, the Deacons of the Deep theme could easily have fit into a gothier chorale (minus the god awful cymbal crashes)

Likewise, Bloodborne has a ton of European classical inspired stuff - the Lady Maria theme being maybe the most obvious and dramatic one.

Pretty nices choices! I did drakengard but i didn't know it was just chopped existing pieces, very interesting! But i already posted lady maria just a bit ago, haha

Yuka kitamura's compositions are really great!

OP I think its a lot more fun and interesting looking of real classical themes used in games with strange mixes or renditions being the most fun. Your idea of looking for music similar to classical music its cool to find music in that style, but at the end of the game lots of videogames ost drink of classical music tropes in some way, while mixing with modern style, so the line blurs a little. There are some direct comparisons to be had but I dont know if its as fun looking for them.

It also opens the eyes of some people liking a lot a piece of music that they didnt know it was a rendition of a classical piece that will make them more look into its history and try to listen to the classics.
Thays probably why you are not getting much responses now when the rules are more rigid. But your thread, your rules, still want to listen to people posting pieces that really resemble classic music.

Why not call it Bachiavellian?

They are talking a lot during a portion of the game about machiavello. They could have used that play of words, but the composer probably didnt feel like it.
Brad Bird would have though lol

A lot of Super Castlevania IV's tracks are incredible because they have the flavor of classical music but refuse to let that drag down the pace of the music (often contrasting the horns and pianos with more contemporary percussion), so you end up with a refined, almost regal sound that's still highly energetic. It's about as perfect as Castlevania has gotten with music fitting both the action and the atmosphere.

Are we talking about specific musical inspirations? Wouldn't be ideal to link pieces with their original counter parts or composers so we look straight at the source of inspiration?

OP I think its a lot more fun and interesting looking of real classical themes used in games with strange mixes or renditions being the most fun. Your idea of looking for music similar to classical music its cool to find music in that style, but at the end of the game lots of videogames ost drink of classical music tropes in some way, while mixing with modern style, so the line blurs a little. There are some direct comparisons to be had but I dont know if its as fun looking for them.

It also opens the eyes of some people liking a lot a piece of music that they didnt know it was a rendition of a classical piece that will make them more look into its history and try to listen to the classics.
Thays probably why you are not getting much responses now when the rules are more rigid. But your thread, your rules, still want to listen to people posting pieces that really resemble classic music.

They are talking a lot during a portion of the game about machiavello. They could have used that play of words, but the composer probably didnt feel like it.
Brad Bird would have though lol

Yeah i see your point, but I really wanted original music, i already know most of the remixes we find in games so it's a bit less interesting to me! If you want you could make your own thread, i'll make sure to contribute to it! i have a lot of these!

The music style is called neo-classical, in case that helps OP find more of what they're looking for. Daisuke Ishiwatari (Guilty Gear series) is the first name that springs to mind.

If metal is your jam, there is a shit ton of great power/prog bands like Symphony X, Galneryus, and Adagio that really nail the style.

Yup, already know all of these, but that's cool for those who don't know, thanks! Also even if i like them a lot, i prefere when they keep the classical instruments (even better when they mix the two, i did post some exemples, like the one from YS)

A lot of Super Castlevania IV's tracks are incredible because they have the flavor of classical music but refuse to let that drag down the pace of the music (often contrasting the horns and pianos with more contemporary percussion), so you end up with a refined, almost regal sound that's still highly energetic. It's about as perfect as Castlevania has gotten with music fitting both the action and the atmosphere.

Couldn't agree more! I wish we could have this kind of soundtrack again!

Peterc

So, just wanted to make a thread where we share music that are in a classical style, are inspired by it, and so on (NOT REPRISE OF EXISTING PIECES, I'M LOOKING FOR ORIGINAL MUSIC)!
Always loved classical music and love when i hear them in games! You can also put Opera or any other style (even metal) as long as it's clear it's heavily inspired from classicla style

I love this, but i rather would like to hear the classic VS Game version.

I know that I once heard a classic song from Mozart that almost got the same melody as Killer instinct - sabrewulf stage.

Mario 64 end boss battle song is also a famous Bach song (Believe this one is also used in battle of olympus (nes) game)

I love this, but i rather would like to hear the classic VS Game version.

I know that I once heard a classic song from Mozart that almost got the same melody as Killer instinct - sabrewulf stage.

Mario 64 end boss battle song is also a famous Bach song (Believe this one is also used in battle of olympus (nes) game)

No, the mario 64 song is really an original song, i posted it earlier in the thread too! It's similar to some bach music, but it's still an original one!

the one in battle of olympus is this one, and it's bach yes, toccata and fugue :

Battle of Olympus, The (NES) Music - Temple of the Gods

Top Bottom