• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My friend started cat calling while in the city with him

M52B28

Banned
I've known him for about two years and I've never seen this behavior.

He had a few drinks before I met up with him last night and he was being somewhat of an ass, but wasn't too bad. I get to the city last night and we're both just walking around joking and then he starts talking to women walking by and making them and me uncomfortable. At one point he said "Hey ladies" as we walk by them and yelled "Alright, fuck you too, bitch." To them.

I told him about how I felt about his behavior but he just kept going around it, then I said "If you keep doing this, you're going to piss off the wrong people and they're going to kick your ass - I'm just going to sit there and watch them do it." After that he got the point and stopped, but I really don't even want to bother with him ever again after that.

I don't know what got into him. I tried to ask, but he didn't give a straight answer and didn't say anything to me about it when I decided to take him back to his place; as if it was a routine and casual occurrence.

He pissed a woman I was on and off with off and she told me he was making her uncomfortable with random texts and stuff of the likes. I put him straight and I told him to get his shit together and he stopped, but this is something deeper. I should have cut things after that.

I really can't understand why I attract douchebag male friends sometimes.

Jintor

good callout duder.

don't see that there's more you can do - you've put out your position, you stop him when he does it in front of you, if he keeps doing it that's on him

Drunk guy acts like an ass in public. News at 11.

Yea... Except that behavior comes from a lack of empathy. If they do it when they are drunk it just tells you how close they are to wanting to behave that way much of the time. Drinking lowers inhibitions, those tendencies and thoughts are already there though.

Media

I wish more people would call out this sort of behavior in their friends, men in particular. The more men tell their friends to stop being assholes, the more people will stop being assholes.

Yea... Except that behavior comes from a lack of empathy. If they do it when they are drunk it just tells you how close they are to wanting to behave that way much of the time. Drinking lowers inhibitions, those tendencies and thoughts are already there though.

Nah it depends on how drunk you are.

If you're absolutely smashed you can do shit you've never even thought about. Trust me I know.

OMG he said "hello ladies"?!?! This dude is a fucking creep hahahaha! What a slimeball! xD

But forreals whats the problem here? Cringeworthy & sloppy sure, but nothing super harmful it seems from your OP.

Unless he said some worse things, but you didn't give any examples in the OP. If he said worse things spill them!!!

C4Lukins

It was really bad. The original is pretty good, the remake was shit.

Watch Hermione perform the initial song. She can sing but she is not a good singer...

I hate to call Watson out, because she is not the problem.

It is a bad film poorly casted,, and did not bother to create a new interesting story. It was a pour soulless remake.

Watch Hermione perform the initial sing. She can sing but she is not a good singer...

I hate to call Watson put, because she is not the problem.

It is a bad film poorly castes, and did not bother to create a new interesting story. It was a pour soulless remake.
Thank you

Watch Hermione perform the initial song. She can sing but she is not a good singer...

I hate to call Watson put, because she is not the problem.

It is a bad film poorly castes, and did not bother to create a new interesting story. It was a pour soulless remake.

Totally agree. His friend is a douchebag for liking that movie.

Nah it depends on how drunk you are.

If you're absolutely smashed you can do shit you've never even thought about. Trust me I know.

I took a piss on my bosses kitchen floor, he was not in the apartment that night and I was alone had no recollection of doing it but nobody else could have made that piss puddle I saw in the morning. I'm 40 years old and have no prior of random drunk pissing.

JayTapp

NoRéN;243580146 said:
This is some "boys will be boys" shit.

Yeah because the worst I've done when too drunk is fall asleep in the entrance of a restaurant.

Even drunk like shit I've never done stuff like that.

I always say your real personality comes out with alcohol.

OMG he said "hello ladies"?!?! This dude is a fucking creep hahahaha! What a slimeball! xD

But forreals whats the problem here? Cringeworthy & sloppy sure, but nothing super harmful it seems from your OP.

Unless he said some worse things, but you didn't give any examples in the OP. If he said worse things spill them!!!

Randomly accosting random women on the street, then cussing them out when he doesn't get the attention he wants, isn't super harmful? I'd drop this asshole immediately.

Pau

He called them bitches when they didn't respond if you're looking for something worse. But either way cat calling is not something I want to deal with even if it's just "Hey ladies" said in a slimey tone.

Yeah because the worst I've done when too drunk is fall asleep in the entrance of a restaurant.

Bottled up emotions and frustrations might reveal themselves. But real personalities don't unconditionally come out of hiding when alcohol is consumed. I mean, who's to say this guy didn't wake up the next day feeling shame for how he behaved?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's shitty, but people do dumb shit when drunk.

Randomly accosting random women on the street, then cussing them out when he doesn't get the attention he wants, isn't super harmful? I'd drop this asshole immediately.

He called them bitches when they didn't respond if you're looking for something worse. But either way cat calling is not something I want to deal with even if it's just "Hey ladies" said in a slimey tone.

My bad didn't notice the cussing out part. Yeah thats shitty lol

But if he's just talking to girls as they're walking by then its a bit of an annoyance but not super intrusive. Now if he was stopping them in the middle of the street and dragging out a conversation thats a different story.

Media

Not even page two and we already have the "catcalling isn't wrong" defense force.

Women don't like being treated like walking groceries for dudes to yell at.

Not even page two and we already have the "catcalling isn't wrong" defense force.

Women don't like being treated like walking groceries for dudes to yell at.

Women also like to be treated as individuals that have their own unique opinions, beliefs and values and not be clumped into one group that all believes in the same thing. -_-

Some girls probably don't mind. Some probably do mind. Some probably fucking hate it. Maybe some girls probably take it as a compliment.

Different people like different things

And who yells at their groceries? -_-

Always wondered, why is it called catcalling?

Yeah I always thought catcalling was the cliche construction workers on break whistling at women walking by thing

I'm trying not to take derail this thread, but I absolutely hate when people say this.

As a former alcoholic (like absolutely bonkers level), you can get so fucked up that you can do anything. You wake up, your friends tell you what you did, and you're like "no fucking way...."

Not saying OP's friend is like that, he's prolly just an asshole, but that whole "real personality" shit is aggravating to me.

I've known him for about two years and I've never seen this behavior.

He had a few drinks before I met up with him last night and he was being somewhat of an ass, but wasn't too bad. I get to the city last night and we're both just walking around joking and then he starts talking to women walking by and making them and me uncomfortable. At one point he said "Hey ladies" as we walk by them and yelled "Alright, fuck you too, bitch." To them.

I told him about how I felt about his behavior but he just kept going around it, then I said "If you keep doing this, you're going to piss off the wrong people and they're going to kick your ass - I'm just going to sit there and watch them do it." After that he got the point and stopped, but I really don't even want to bother with him ever again after that.

I don't know what got into him. I tried to ask, but he didn't give a straight answer and didn't say anything to me about it when I decided to take him back to his place; as if it was a routine and casual occurrence.

He pissed a woman I was on and off with off and she told me he was making her uncomfortable with random texts and stuff of the likes. I put him straight and I told him to get his shit together and he stopped, but this is something deeper. I should have cut things after that.

You learned an important life lessson: shitty people must be dismissed quickly from your life.

Media

Women also like to be treated as individuals that have their own unique opinions, beliefs and values and not be clumped into one group that all believes in the same thing. -_-

Some girls probably don't mind. Some probably do mind. Some probably fucking hate it. Maybe some girls probably take it as a compliment.

Every woman I know, myself included, hates cat calling. It makes us uncomfortable and fearful. I never feel complimented when it happens to me. Sure SOME women might enjoy it, but the vast majority do not.

And it's an expression. Being treated like a tasty cut of meat someone wants to eat, etc.

Pau

If you catcall women despite knowing that you are making a lot of us uncomfortable just because you think some women will appreciate it, you're an asshole.

Keri

Yeah, add me to the chorus. I've never enjoyed catcalling and don't know a single woman who does. It is not pleasant to be yelled at by strangers or called a "bitch," when you don't reciprocate and there's always the fear it will continue to escalate, into following and maybe worse. If you do it, you're an asshole, for sure.

Azerare

This a common occurrence for you? They say the people we hang around is often a reflection of oneself.

Maybe be introspective on how and why you surround yourself with these people.

The "some women might enjoy it" defense force. I am sure that 1/100 enjoy your "compliment" made up with the 99 other that dislike/hate it. Got to get that one!

And oh getting angry when you did not get the attention back is TOTALLY reasonable!

Every woman I know, myself included, hates cat calling. It makes us uncomfortable and fearful. I never feel complimented when it happens to me. Sure SOME women might enjoy it, but the vast majority do not.

And it's an expression. Being treated like a tasty cut of meat someone wants to eat, etc.

Yes, I understand. But where in that post am I defending catcalling? That post was trying to figure out if OP's friend said anything sleazier then "Hey ladies", you make it seem like I'm saying "hahaha chicks dig catcalls am I right bros? *chugs beer*

Yeah I always thought catcalling was the cliche construction workers on break whistling at women walking by thing
Are you really pulling out a "not all women mind being harassed" defense?
You'd be hard pressed to find a woman who doesn't hate it. It makes you feel dehumanized and unsafe.

Media

Yes, I understand. But where in that post am I defending catcalling? That post was trying to figure out if OP's friend said anything sleazier then "Hey ladies", you make it seem like I'm saying "hahaha chicks dig catcalls am I right bros? *chugs beer*

Randomly saying "Hey gurl." to me will cause me to tense up in fear because of past reactions to me ignoring it. Catcalling in any form is not okay. "Hey ladies" is easier to ignore because I'd be in a group, obviously.

You said the hey ladies part wasn't a big deal. That's defending it

Also, like the below post says, you did say some women like being catcalled. In my experience that isn't true.

... But... you did use the "some women LIKE it" defense...

Pau

The fuck was your other post about then?

Ivan 3414

This a common occurrence for you? They say the people we hang around is often a reflection of oneself.

Maybe be introspective on how and why you surround yourself with these people.

Fuck the guy calling random girls bitches; this person cracked the code. OP is the real asshole. Thanks for your dazzling insight.

No, I am not.

Can someone define catcalling? I always thought it was the cliche whistling thing in the cartoons when a girl walks by. Is it basically hitting on someone in a sexual way?
Yes. It's when some person you don't know in a public space hits on you, or tries to coerce you into giving them attention, generally using sexualized or gendered language.

Media

No, I am not.

Can someone define catcalling? I always thought it was the cliche whistling thing in the cartoons when a girl walks by. Is it basically hitting on someone in a sexual way?

Catcalling is yelling at random women on the street because they are attractive somehow. It doesn't matter what is said.

Catcall.jpg

This faux respect for women.

"Some probably do mind?" Are you shitting me? It's not a "probably."

"Some probably fucking hate it." Are you shitting me again? It's not a "probably."

Normalizing abhorrent, unwarranted, harmful behavior because some people might like it.

Obviously no one. However, critical thinking has allowed me to deduce that Media was relating kneejerk objectification of women on the street to reducing them to attractive bags of consumable parts. Yanno, instead of respecting them as living, thinking, feeling members of society whose value is more than what can be physically drawn from their bodies. But to some assholes, they are nothing but grocery bags. Grocery bags that they proceed to yell hurtful things at.

Top Bottom