• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My friend started cat calling while in the city with him

Keri

I also used the "some women fucking hate it" defense

Well, your numbers are off.

If you want to be accurate, practically ALL women hate it, to the point that the tiny fraction of women who do enjoy it, are insufficient to justify the behavior and not worth mentioning in a general discussion of the topic.

Catcalling is yelling at random women on the street because they are attractive somehow. It doesn't matter what is said.

Catcall.jpg

Yes. It's when some person you don't know in a public space hits on you, or tries to coerce you into giving them attention, generally using sexualized or gendered language.

Thank you for clearing this up. GAF is teaching me normal human being things

SheSaidNo

I told him about how I felt about his behavior but he just kept going around it, then I said "If you keep doing this, you're going to piss off the wrong people and they're going to kick your ass - I'm just going to sit there and watch them do it." After that he got the point and stopped, but I really don't even want to bother with him ever again after that.

so he only stopped cause some other dude might have beat him up?

danm999

Women also like to be treated as individuals that have their own unique opinions, beliefs and values and not be clumped into one group that all believes in the same thing. -_-

Some girls probably don't mind. Some probably do mind. Some probably fucking hate it. Maybe some girls probably take it as a compliment.

Different people like different things

There are some women I'm sure who love being called bitches by drunk strangers.

No, I am not.

Can someone define catcalling? I always thought it was the cliche whistling thing in the cartoons when a girl walks by. Is it basically hitting on someone in a sexual way?

You are the definition of a gaslighting, Jesus.

You started by not seeing anything wrong with what OP's friend did. When called out on it, you pull the "some women like it defense" and now you deny everything and play the ignorant card.

Let me say it again, you do not cat call women. If you wanna hit on them then go to bars, clubs, dating websites or fuck just talk to them respectfully and see if they are interested and get lost if they aren't.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Thank god some women came into this thread to shut this discussion down before it got downright stupid. Harassment is harassment, and we as decent human beings should place a premium on not harassing others.

You started by not seeing anything wrong with what OP's friend did. When called out on it, you pull the "some women like it defense" and now you deny everything and play the ignorant card.

Let me say it again, you do not cat call women. If you wanna hit on them then go to bars, clubs, dating websites or fuck just talk to them respectfully and see if they are interested and get lost if they aren't.

It's amazing how much more often "just talking to and treating them like the human beings that they are" nets results.

akira28

lmao...I thought the title said your friend started catcalling YOU. That would be both weird and hilarious and uncomfortable.

and mostly hilarious.

I'm not attacking anyone. We're having a decently civil debate over the internet and I'm learning some things. People are engaged in the conversation. Having fun. I don't mean any harm at all. I'm not playing ignorant, I am ignorant to alot of stuff, and its cool that people are schooling me in here.

Also what is gaslighting?

Drain You

If my friend was doing that I think I'd just give me a solid punch every time he opened is mouth like that. Eventually he'd get the hint. Not sure if people that do this think it's cool or funny.

Semi related semi not, but tonight my gf put a pair of shoes on let go. She gets a message asking if she still has them, replies yes, then the dude is just like I'm actually more interested in you...like cmon dudes. She had no picture attached to the account and it was literally just her first name. Dudes are thirsty as hell.

cameron

OMG he said "hello ladies"?!?! This dude is a fucking creep hahahaha! What a slimeball! xD

But forreals whats the problem here? Cringeworthy & sloppy sure, but nothing super harmful it seems from your OP.

Unless he said some worse things, but you didn't give any examples in the OP. If he said worse things spill them!!!

My bad didn't notice the cussing out part. Yeah thats shitty lol

But if he's just talking to girls as they're walking by then its a bit of an annoyance but not super intrusive. Now if he was stopping them in the middle of the street and dragging out a conversation thats a different story.
How did you manage to not see the "cussing out part"? The OP says:
At one point he said "Hey ladies" as we walk by them and yelled "Alright, fuck you too, bitch." To them.
Both "Hey ladies" and "Alright, fuck you too, bitch." are part of the same single sentence. Did you stop reading mid-sentence to shit out a reply?

Good on you for talking to him about it. I'm geniunely curious though, why do some men continue to cat call? Are there any women on here for who, catcalling doesn't bother them or they know women who don't mind it?

M52B28

Banned
This a common occurrence for you? They say the people we hang around is often a reflection of oneself.

Maybe be introspective on how and why you surround yourself with these people.
I wouldn't call the great majority friends. Mainly, I find them latching on to me as if they connect with me really well, but I really don't connect with them much at all, especially in levels of maturity.

DrSlek

Cat calling is bizarre. I've never seen it happen here, and to my knowledge it's either not a thing in Australia or exceedingly rare. I have a friend who said she has never had it happen to here here, but when she moved to NYC for 2 years she experienced it all the time.

What the fuck, USA?

I'm not attacking anyone. We're having a decently civil debate over the internet and I'm learning some things. People are engaged in the conversation. Having fun. I don't mean any harm at all. I'm not playing ignorant, I am ignorant to alot of stuff, and its cool that people are schooling me in here.

Also what is gaslighting?

Did I accuse you of attacking someone?

Originally Posted by cameron

Did you stop reading mid-sentence to shit out a reply?

Usually when people want to debate and have healthy discussions, they read the OP first before spouting nonsense and use later on the ignorant card.

About the gaslighting, you are on the Internet, if you do not understand a word, Google it. If you are too lazy to do so, I'm too lazy to teach you. Educate yourself buddy.

But alright let me give you the benefit of the doubt. I'm glad you are learning now.

In any case, I have said my pieace about the catcalling on my answer above, OP you did well but if your friend keeps on being toxic regardless of your advices and help, then you better cut contact and find a better friend who share your values.

He's just an ass if you ask me. I'm literally buzzed right now, and while of course am human, and notice attractive women, I would NEVER treat them as "slabs of meat" like THAT, and I've been drunk/hammered in public multiple times. I can only imagine how uncomfortable I would be if put in the same position on a daily basis. It's fucked.

Edit: Than again, I'm a "happy drunk," and my truth self reigns true all the more when I'm buzzed/drunk. Pisses me off when someone treats women like secondary any kind of fashion.

M52B28

Banned
OMG he said "hello ladies"?!?! This dude is a fucking creep hahahaha! What a slimeball! xD

But forreals whats the problem here? Cringeworthy & sloppy sure, but nothing super harmful it seems from your OP.

Unless he said some worse things, but you didn't give any examples in the OP. If he said worse things spill them!!!
Based on the stuff you posted here, I'm just starting to question how old you are based on that.

For some women, a "Hey ladies!" may have turned into a deeper form of harassment. It's inappropriate and that is mainly because of the pretence behind it. It's pretty much used to get attention and show a level of assertiveness that isn't needed.

I could go on about what I've just said and about a few more things about last night, but I really don't feel like it.

Cat calling is bizarre. I've never seen it happen here, and to my knowledge it's either not a thing in Australia or exceedingly rare. I have a friend who said she has never had it happen to here here, but when she moved to NYC for 2 years she experienced it all the time.

What the fuck, USA?

It's not just American.

It certainly happens in Australia as well.

Once I went out with my mom and sisters, as well as my cousin (teenage boy) to eat. There's this man in the lobby of the restaurant who we quickly recognize as drunk, and he comes up to us and asks how many of us are mothers. (This was in June—not Mother's Day.)
We all point to my mom. Drunk Man proceeds to be shocked, tell my mom she looks like she could be my sister, and gives up a speech about how good mothers are important and that she's doing a great job and he appreciates her. Later on, he came back with a pink rose to give her and thanked her again. It made her night.

That was okay drunk behavior. OP, your friend's catcalling is decidedly not acceptable, and I'm glad you called him out on it.

Shadybiz

Yeah he sounds like a douche. Booze will tend to bring out the douche in some people. It's not the booze that causes the douchiness, mind you...it's just that the booze makes the douchiness more public.

Keri

Once I went out with my mom and sisters, as well as my cousin (teenage boy) to eat. There's this man in the lobby of the restaurant who we quickly recognize as drunk, and he comes up to us and asks how many of us are mothers. (This was in June—not Mother's Day.)
We all point to my mom. Drunk Man proceeds to be shocked, tell my mom she looks like she could be my sister, and gives up a speech about how good mothers are important and that she's doing a great job and he appreciates her. Later on, he came back with a pink rose to give her and thanked her again. It made her night.

That was okay drunk behavior. OP, your friend's catcalling is decidedly not acceptable, and I'm glad you called him out on it.

That's a touching story. I wonder if he'd just recently lost his mother, was drinking as a way of coping and then decided that showing appreciation to other mothers would make him feel better. I know it sounds like an elaborate story to invent, but there's some reason it was on his mind. Anyway, it sounds like he and your mom got just what they needed from the world, in that moment.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

What the fuck, USA?
Yeah same here (Canada), never experienced it. I only ever asked one female friend if she had and she said no, I should consult with other friends just to see, even anecdotally, if it's just me or if it's a thing here... so glad it's almost unheard of. Sounds absolutely awful and fuck people defending this.

That's a touching story. I wonder if he'd just recently lost his mother, was drinking as a way of coping and then decided that showing appreciation to other mothers would make him feel better. I know it sounds like an elaborate story to invent, but there's some reason it was on his mind. Anyway, it sounds like he and your mom got just what they needed from the world, in that moment.
That's what I was wondering at the time. I don't know what made him that way that night, but it made someone else smile. I hope he's all right, wherever he is.

I don't see nothing wrong with the "Hey Ladies" part, but Yikes at that response after they ignored him which unfortunately happens way too often.

I've seen plenty of guys respond like that too. It's horrible.

MilkyJoe

My bad didn't notice the cussing out part. Yeah thats shitty lol

But if he's just talking to girls as they're walking by then its a bit of an annoyance but not super intrusive. Now if he was stopping them in the middle of the street and dragging out a conversation thats a different story.

I assumed you're banned for this, but pissed up guy harassing women on the street is not harmless, it can be quite frightening.

Samara

What the fuck, USA?

Absolutely not.
This was my last encounter.

At my bachelorette party some dude asked me my sister's name I said no, just leave it.
As we get to take the group picture he grabs my sister's butt. She only gets to say ''hey watch it''.

Disgusting and humiliating.

RinsFury

Holy shit at that response, your friend sounds like he has some deep misogynistic hate going on. I would end all forms of contact with somebody like that.

Im assuming you're a guy--- dump him.

2 years is nothing and I doubt you two are that close. Not worth keeping company like that around

I had a similar experience in which one of my best friends was trying to shame a homeless person for asking for money to buy cigarettes.

Top Bottom