• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Gamestop has over 600 preorders for the PS4 (Sold out until February)

Is there anyway of confirming your launch pickup at gamestop? I think I was the 5th person at my gamestop to preorder. Anyway I decided to call to verify and the employee just put me on hold for 20 minutes and hung up.

I asked when I was in the store to pre-order AC4 and he said I was guaranteed a PS4 (I was sixth, and have it fully paid off). I'm still not sure so I'll probably stop in again next week to see if I have to gear up for a midnight release or not. At least there's a bar near my Gamestop in case worst comes to worst.

I asked when I was in the store to pre-order AC4 and he said I was guaranteed a PS4 (I was sixth, and have it fully paid off). I'm still not sure so I'll probably stop in again next week to see if I have to gear up for a midnight release or not. At least there's a bar near my Gamestop in case worst comes to worst.

I feel a little better now! thanks

DoctorZ

I was told the same thing, that I was guaranteed a PS4. But I still cannot believe them

Phades

600 in one store is insane. That Gamestop better have a back room that looks like this:

raiders-of-the-lost-ark-matte-painting.jpg

h1ED9C01B

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So I guess I shouldn't cancel my pre-order? I have no interest in a ps4 at launch anymore but have a day one pre-order at Amazon. I was going to cancel but hesitated just in case prices get stupid. I guess they might get stupid?

Alebrije

But, have you reserved a table in the bar for that night?

So I guess I shouldn't cancel my pre-order? I have no interest in a ps4 at launch anymore but have a day one pre-order at Amazon. I was going to cancel but hesitated just in case prices get stupid. I guess they might get stupid?

I'm hoping they get stupid for the One. I'd LOVE that, actually.

Milennia

Yes, you guys aren't the best at ebay it seems.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sac...600&_udhi=1500&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=ps4&_sop=16

Scroll down, you'll see several selling for over 1k. This will only get worse in 7 days time, in a big big profitable way.
Theres maybe 1 sold at over 800 to 10 sold at 600-700 though.. Most of what is listed here are all incomplete auctions. Theres 2 ps4s on the entire front page that sold for that amount, then a 3rd that is part of a bundle including an xbox one.

If you search for just regular completed auctions, its a straight list of green, won auctions/buy it nows from 600-700$ as opposed to the few in each page 800$+ search.

They will deffinetly rise in price, but the absolute majority of them selling, aren't selling for over 800$ right now.

Edit: going through each page, its the exact same deal, only a few sold at that price and 90% of the page all in red meaning incomplete auctions. The default search criteria brings up all green, sold and completed auctions , straight lists of 600/700$. As I've said, its obvious the price will rise, but as of today thats what the majority are selling for. Theres even some incomplete 600/700$ consoles, meaning some people don't even want to buy at that.

IllumiNate

So the Ebgames I am referring too is In Fort McMurray AB. There is only one Ebgames but we do have Wal-Marts ect.. The average household income is $150k/yr

macewank

I'm pretty sure it's both. Like we have a set amount for pre-orders and some extra that we sell to the people who wait in line for hours. I'll have to ask my manager but, I'm pretty sure that's the way we are handling it.

So Best Buy is holding units back from pre-order customers so walk-ins can buy it?

Holy shit, that's... absurd.

LastNac

I'm doing this not out of some stupid fanboyism towards Xbone. I have both systems preordered. I personally prefer what MS has to offer (I'm a big Halo fan) but I also love me some Sony.

It is just super annoying to hear all these 2nd/3rd hand stories like "My friend heard it was 9-1 PS4 favor." These stories are simply not true (In America anyway.)

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

I think it is going to sell like crazy don't get me wrong. I just think scalpers won't get the price they are looking for due to it being restocked quickly and there being so many units on the market. The Wii was a scalper's wet dream because restocks hardly happened and the shipments were low. PS4 is on the opposite spectrum, high volume shipments and more frequent so the crazies that were willing to spend double the retail price before will now be actively seeking out stores that get stock in. Or you know hopefully they were smarter this time and actually preordered for once.

This is why I'm only asking $100 over retail for the ones I'm selling. I'm not one of these tool boxes on ebay asking $700+ for a $400 system. I've already sold two target preorders, and have 8 buyers lined up for the remaining 4 systems I'm picking up. I'm pretty sure out of those 8 at least 4 will come through. If not I have over six weeks before my credit card hits me with any interest on the purchase. So if for some crazy reason they don't sell, I'll just return them for a refund. There won't be any 'getting burned'.

As for the Xbox One, I've only got 3 buyers lined up for the 4 consoles I'm selling, so I may have to return one or two of those, no biggie.

Scalpers that are TOO greedy might get screwed. Scalpers that are only a little bit greedy and use craigslist to make $100 will fair better. I lot of people prefer face-to-face so they can see you're not shipping them a box of bricks, not to mention the (relative) savings over looking for one on ebay.

Now if they start going for $1500+ on ebay, I just might put the last console up that I had originally intended on keeping for myself, lol.

Question for you guys.

I have a trip already paid for to the US (Florida) in Feb 18th. Am I safe? Can I be sure to get mine?

I thought I was but I have growing concerns as launch aproaches.

You should MAYBE be ok by Feb. It really depends on how long your trip is. If you're only here for one day you might be S.O.L. but if you're here for a few days you should be able to search around and find either a store in a low-populated area that is kinda obscure that has one, or a store that is getting a shipment in one morning where you can be there right when they unload the truck or as soon as they open for business.

If you get a chance between now and then I would suggest preordering one on Amazon for delivery to a US address if you know anyone that lives here and have them hold onto it for you. If Amazon opens up orders again by late Dec or early Jan and you place an order they ought to have it by Feb.

macewank

Yep. Its meant to drive traffic into the store and create some hype. Not sure if its because of Best Buy or our vendors demand it.

That can't be.... allowed? legal? whatever?

That's some seriously shady business if they're stealing product from folks who already paid for it. Really, really, shady.

suaveric

Yes, you guys aren't the best at ebay it seems.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sac...600&_udhi=1500&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=ps4&_sop=16

Scroll down, you'll see several selling for over 1k. This will only get worse in 7 days time, in a big big profitable way.

Anything that sold for a high amount seems to be from over the summer, back when people were first listing PS4s. Since then, it looks like the market has been flooded, with the average price of "sold" completed auctions in that $550-650 range. This could change on the day of release, but I don't think the prices will be shooting well over 1000.

Jac

Neo Member
I'm sorry but I don't believe it.

My store has 66 preorders (We actually have more Xbone reserves)
We are a town with 1 gamestop in the 15 mile area, a town of 30,000 with several smaller towns nearby where we are the closest gamestop.

In a town of 100,000 you probably have at least 2 gamestops if not more to supply units to. I don't believe for a second that one store was allocated 600 units for preorder. There simply is not enough square footage in an average gamestop to store 600 consoles (And that is just PS4, not to mention XBONE, 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U and Preowned consoles, and Holiday shipments)

I can answer you right now why he told you 600 on the phone...Because he wants the consoles out of the store (And out of his stockroom), he told you a higher number to give you an idea of the kind of demand surrounding them to incentivize you to pick up your order day one.

I've heard it so many times where employees tell whatever lie they can to either get you off the phone or pick up your reserve or whatever... It also could have been a new employee who knows absolutely dick about the numbers and just made up a number...

I'm not saying there isn't that kind of demand, but the supply and space just simply aren't there.

But Bryan, didn't you once say that we are also a town of rednecks who only care about Call of Duty in regards to lower Halo 4 sales here?

Jac

Neo Member
I'm doing this not out of some stupid fanboyism towards Xbone. I have both systems preordered. I personally prefer what MS has to offer (I'm a big Halo fan) but I also love me some Sony.

It is just super annoying to hear all these 2nd/3rd hand stories like "My friend heard it was 9-1 PS4 favor." These stories are simply not true (In America anyway.)

W... Wait a second.

It doesn't count if you plan on selling the PS4.

Wowww...now I'm really wondering if I should just sell mine. The only thing I really want to play is Killzone, and I'm not even that into FPSes.

Sulik2

Anything that sold for a high amount seems to be from over the summer, back when people were first listing PS4s. Since then, it looks like the market has been flooded, with the average price of "sold" completed auctions in that $550-650 range. This could change on the day of release, but I don't think the prices will be shooting well over 1000.

When parents get home after fighting crowds without a system those prices are gonna explode. First two days is gonna be a meat grinder on Ebay.

Jac

Neo Member
Wowww...now I'm really wondering if I should just sell mine. The only thing I really want to play is Killzone, and I'm not even that into FPSes.

Knack
Octodad
Transistor
Kingdom Hearts III
Killzone
Oddworld: New N' Tasty
The Witness

There is quite a bit coming out for PS3 that makes it worth keeping depending on your tastes. But if you aren't going to get it, just cancel your preorder and let someone else buy it at the normal price. Scalping is a disgusting practice.

There was a guy who came in regularly to the Gamestop I used to work at in order to buy several of our Wiis and proceed to sell them at higher prices at the gas station across the street. I hated watching people who could have gotten the Wii for regular price have to buy them for $200-$300 more than what they could have at Gamestop.

Downhome

I wonder how many are orders for resellers. I then also wonder if we'll see a Wii U situation where tons of people preordered then tried to resell them on Craigslist and eBay and then it got so bad that they were selling at retail prices, and sometimes below.

Jac

Neo Member
I wonder how many are orders for resellers. I then also wonder if we'll see a Wii U situation where tons of people preordered then tried to resell them on Craigslist and eBay and then it got so bad that they were selling at retail prices, and sometimes below.

I kinda hope not because that will mean bad things for the PS4. As much as I can't stand scalpers, I want the PS4 to do better than the WiiU has.

Heck, I wan't the WiiU to do better than it is doing right now.

satori

I hope this is true and that my BB is looking at similar numbers.

Me too, my brother asked me to go there with him with out a preorder. He really wants one, but wants to use his best buy card. Should be a fun times. I was planning to head over to target to pick up some games anyways. I hope he gets it.

Just received a call from my local EB Games (Western Australia) confirming that I'll be able to pick my PS4 day one. I asked him how many PS4's are allocated to that one EB and he said 175, and that he was in the process of calling every single one.
He also said he had to call up every person that ordered an XBOne as well, but the PS4 was in much higher demand.
Still, it was nice to get 100% confirmation I'll be getting my PS4 on November 29 without issue. :)

cakefoo

The Wii U was just a poorly thought out console, as made evident by its sales the past 6 months. In my experience following gaming launches, the only time resale values plummet is if it lacks appeal to the end user, or it's manufactured in such great quantities that supply outstrips very strong demand (Kinect). There is a chance that the latter could happen based on early statements from Sony and MS about having units available to non-preorderers, but more recently Sony has begun to change their tune.

Popnbake

The Wii U had a strange console launch.

There was a lot of demand leading to pre-orders selling out but suddenly the interest for it died off at release. As you stated even a few scalpers had problems selling it at retail prices.

I guess we'll wait and see if the same occurs for the PS4.

My BestBuy got enough PS4s to cover all preorders (including mine) AND 40 extra for walk-ins. The girl said they learned their lesson last time, so they cut preorders off fairly early, so I don't know the total numbers...but there ya go.

gatti-man

I've got a ps4 listed on eBay right now it ends tomorrow so I will let you guys know what's really going with prices then.

Top Bottom