• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My laptop connects to wireless router, but not to the internet (HELP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

If anyone on GAF could help me out with this issue, I’ll be eternally grateful.

My laptop has Windows XP (Service Pack 2), and two days ago, I had some spyware on my computer and tried to get rid of it with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, as I usually do. I restart the computer after the scan is complete, and all of a sudden, I can’t access the internet at all. My laptop shows that it’s connected to the wireless router at full strength in my apartment, yet I can’t access any website.

I’m pretty much a dumbass when it comes to computers and fixing issues like this, so I’ve looked online for possible solutions for the past few days, and the stuff that I’ve tried to do includes:

-Tried ipconfig release/renew – didn’t work
-Disabled firewall – didn’t work
-Tried doing netsh int ip reset – didn’t work
-Tried running WinSock Fix – didn’t work

I’ve done malware and virus scans and they both come up clean as well.

I’ve tried to connect my laptop at my parent’s house over the weekend, but the exact same problem arose (showed full connectivity with their wireless router, but still couldn’t access internet). Even when I ran an Ethernet cable through the laptop, I still couldn’t access the internet. I’m starting to believe more and more that it’s an issue with my laptop rather than the wireless network.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what else I could do? I’m about to lose my mind here! :lol

Fake edit: I may not be able to respond until tomorrow since I’m typing this from my school’s computer lab in the library and it’s about to close, but any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Medalion

Banned
Can you ping any websites like yahoo or something from a command prompt?

What are your tcp/ip settings, do you auto-obtain DNS and IP address?

In XP go to start->control panel->network connections (or you may have to go to Network and Internet first)->if you can go to your LAN icon and/or wireless network adaptor icon, right-click it, and go to properties, double-click the Internet Protocol TCP/IP ... what settings are in there?

Did you try the following?

1) Delete connection from Internet connections and make a new one

2) Uninstall wireless adapter and reinstall it with fresh firmware.

Fatalah

Can any other computer connect to the internet via the wi-fi connection?

If not, this may just be a matter of powering down the cable modem + powering down the wireless router-- and starting them up again.

Juice

Judging by this thread we're in, looks like the problem sorted itself out.

I'll be here all week

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Have you tried disconnecting your router for about 20 minutes and reconnecting it back again?

Medalion

Banned
Fairly sure it's computer related. If he has tried other routers that work and he can't get shit even with a cabled connection and wireless.... it's computer related.

RBH

Medalion said:
Can you ping any websites like yahoo or something from a command prompt?

What are your tcp/ip settings, do you auto-obtain DNS and IP address?

In XP go to start->control panel->network connections (or you may have to go to Network and Internet first)->if you can go to your LAN icon and/or wireless network adaptor icon, right-click it, and go to properties, double-click the Internet Protocol TCP/IP ... what settings are in there?
When I pinged yahoo.com, I had 4 packets sent and 4 packets received, 0% loss. Around 30ms each time.

In TCP/IP settings, both DNS and IP addresses are auto-obtained.

Fatalah said:
Can any other computer connect to the internet via the wi-fi connection?

If not, this may just be a matter of powering down the cable modem + powering down the wireless router-- and starting them up again.
All of the other laptops/computers can connect to the internet with the same wireless router. Mine is the only one that doesn't. :(

Yeah......I think I'm fucked. :lol

Vyer

What browser are you using?

If it's IE, go to tools-Internet Options-Advanced. At the bottom it should have the option to reset the browser. Do that, you don't have to get rid of your personal data.

After it's done, close the browser and restart it. See if that helps.

EDIT: Also see if the malware set your IE to a proxy server. Tools-Internet Options-Connections. At the bottom, 'LAN Settings'. Uncheck proxy server option.

This happens to me before as well, and some girl at my university's IT department help me solve the problem. :lol :lol , all she did was go to the Wireless Network Connection Properties > wireless networks and delete all the connections in the Preferred Networks leaving only the wireless network that you are using for the internet. Also, disable any Bridge Connection in the Network Connections.

Medalion

Banned
What security program(s) do you have?

DOes any of them use a Firewall (not the windows one)? Do you use a proxy or any configuration scripts> ARe you only using Internet Explorer or do you have other browsers?

RBH

Vyer said:
What browser are you using?

If it's IE, go to tools-Internet Options-Advanced. At the bottom it should have the option to reset the browser. Do that, you don't have to get rid of your personal data.

After it's done, close the browser and restart it. See if that helps.

EDIT: Also see if the malware set your IE to a proxy server. Tools-Internet Options-Connections. At the bottom, 'LAN Settings'. Uncheck proxy server option.

Medalion said:
What security program(s) do you have?

DOes any of them use a Firewall (not the windows one)? Do you use a proxy or any configuration scripts> ARe you only using Internet Explorer or do you have other browsers?
I use Chrome as my primary browser, but let me check to see if IE is set to a proxy due to the malware.

*sees that IE is set to a proxy, unchecks proxy server option*

OH SHIT, IT WORKED!

FUCK YEAH

Thanks so much for your help, guys. I really appreciate it. Now I feel even more like an idiot. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom