• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PSN with a lot of money just got hacked and..

grmlin

Don't give Sony your credit card info or leave very much money in your wallet. Sony has already proven untrustworthy.

You can say this for every service you use if someone manages to get your password.

2 factor authentication and different crazy passwords for everything. Use something like Lastpass or 1Password or a free open source password manager if you don't want to handle it by yourself.

Good luck OP.

Fisty

Uh I don't even know what company makes it mandatory.

It's not the victims fault, it's the company's fault for providing protections that aren't mandatory.

When people leave their doors unlocked and get robbed, you blame the lock company because its not mandatory to lock your doors

Sony really needs to get with the times and switch to an Authenticator Code Generator app.

SMS for 2FA needs to go away.

To answer your question though, no. This is all they offer, which is pretty sad. You could maybe try getting someone to set-up Google Voice for you and then changing settings afterwards?

This work?

God this very same link never worked last night, but somehow today in the afternoon it did, but the customer representative wasn't helpful. He gave me a link to deactivate all consoles which doesn't solve my problem. I asked him how to deactivate my mobile devices because my current mobile device isn't allowing me to watch movies with ps video app says there are too many devices already attached to the account. still no solution!

EmiPrime

Anyone who might know the answer to my questions around here? Thanks :)

You only need to do it once on the PS4s. The only time I need to use 2FA codes is when I login on a browser. If for whatever reason it doesn't work out for your use case you can always turn it off.

hlhbk

Plenty folk don't even know it's a thing, if you created your account before it was put in place then you would never know it exists especially if you have not had any issues.

How is that on Sony though as many people seem to be saying? Again personal accountability....

Head.spawn

How is that on Sony though as many people seem to be saying? Again personal accountability....

If people don't know they added the feature, why would they go looking for it? How would they even know where to go to enable it?

They have been missing the feature for years, if they suddenly add it; wouldn't it make sense to inform existing users who don't have it enabled? Wouldn't it make sense to push it during account creation? There is no excuse as to why it isn't part of there just as much as setting up a password is.

Having no account security features for years to the point where people just assume you haven't changed it is certainly on Sony. Sony not informing customers or prompting them when they added it is on Sony. Not having the common sense to add it during account creation is on Sony.

Willenium

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around why someone would have "a lot of money" just hanging out in their PSN wallet. Is there any benefit from that? Genuinely curious.

hlhbk

If people don't know they added the feature, why would they go looking for it? How would they even know where to go to enable it?

They have been missing the feature for years, if they suddenly add it; wouldn't it make sense to inform existing users who don't have it enabled? Wouldn't it make sense to push it during account creation? There is no excuse as to why it isn't part of there just as much as setting up a password is.

Having no account security features for years to the point where people just assume you haven't changed it is certainly on Sony. Sony not informing customers or prompting them when they added it is on Sony. Not having the common sense to add it during account creation is on Sony.

https://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2014/05/21/two-step-verification/

Between the link above and tons of gaming news sources and being posted on GAF it looks like people were well informed.

EmiPrime

Most people don't care. Your email address is probably the most important thing to have elective 2FA on but I don't know anyone who uses it who I didn't set up for them (just close family members). Whenever I have brought it up people tell me they can't be bothered, that it sounds like too much hassle, that they'll take their chances etc. 2FA is an example of you can lead the proverbial horse to water but you can't force it to drink and no, you can't make it mandatory.

Frankly this is great for those of us who do use 2FA: There are millions of accounts without 2FA and reused passwords ripe for the taking so we're not worth the hassle of any hacker targeting us.

Head.spawn

https://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2014/05/21/two-step-verification/

Between the link above and tons of gaming news sources and being posted on GAF it looks like people were well informed.

The link you have there is people begging for it to be added over two years before they actually added and them editing a small "This feature is now available." link?

Also, "being posted on gaf" does not equate to Sony informing their customers it exists in masse (they have your email address) or prompting their customers that don't have it enabled to enable it or prompting users to enable it at account create/new device sign-in . People on gaf have been begging for a PSA thread to be stickied on here since after it was announced because we keep seeing cases where people are not aware that it is there.

Most people don't care. Your email address is probably the most important thing to have elective 2FA on but I don't know anyone who uses it who I didn't set up for them (just close family members). Whenever I have brought it up people tell me they can't be bothered, that it sounds like too much hassle, that they'll take their chances etc. 2FA is an example of you can lead the proverbial horse to water but you can't force it to drink and no, you can't make it mandatory.

Frankly this is great for those of us who do use 2FA: There are millions of accounts without 2FA and reused passwords ripe for the taking so we're not worth the hassle of any hacker targeting us.

I get that there are people that couldn't be bothered but I'm totally convinced there are plenty that still don't even know it's an option. I could be wrong though, so it's just my opinion.

Top Bottom