• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory is 5 years old, releases close-up video of the sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKyo

The sun is fucking amazing to watch. So many arcing flares and massive bursts of energy... It's so self sustaining, it's incredible.

chugen

awesome video

WeepyWellmadeCheetah.gif

RiZ III

Blows my mind watching that. I kept thinking, what the hell is this thing anyways? A giant ball of fire floating in the middle of nowhere that some how keeps burning for billions of years. How much gas is in that thing and how does it not just all go up in flames at once in a giant explosion? I mean when it's so hot, how does anything remain not lighting up and remain not lit for billions of years? Boggles the mind.

Cromat

Blows my mind watching that. I kept thinking, what the hell is this thing anyways? A giant ball of fire floating in the middle of nowhere that some how keeps burning for billions of years. How much gas is in that thing and how does it not just all go up in flames at once in a giant explosion? I mean when it's so hot, how does anything remain not lighting up and remain not lit for billions of years? Boggles the mind.

Think of it like this: gravity contracts a huge sphere of gas until the temperature at its center is so hot that atoms are fused into each other, basically meaning that the core is a continuous thermonuclear explosion. The size of the star is an equilibrium between the contracting force of gravity and the explosive force of the fusion at the core. The sun is so dense that it takes years for a ray of light created at its core to escape through its surface.

Tecl0n

Venus casually orbiting scares the shit out of me since it reminds me of the unfathomable scale of celestial bodies.

It's always weird how fake reality looks.

I suppose this stuff is fake to some extent as it's a composite of many different filters but without that processing we'd never be able to discerne anywhere near as much. Also the 'other worldliness' of the processing of the images helps me realise what i'm actually looking at and just how astounding the energies involved in cosmic processes are.

I comprehend very little of the deeper truths and my mathematics is terrible so i'm lost very quickly but i don't care, it still fascinates and enthralls me :)

Yo for real no surprise everybody throughout human history worships that thing.

A giant continuous explosion in space that gives us life.

Well you wouldn't be able to see any this with the naked eye for multiple reasons so it's natural that this looks unnatural.

I suppose this stuff is fake to some extent as it's a composite of many different filters but without that processing we'd never be able to discerne anywhere near as much. Also the 'other worldliness' of the processing of the images helps me realise what i'm actually looking at and just how astounding the energies involved in cosmic processes are.

I comprehend very little of the deeper truths and my mathematics is terrible so i'm lost very quickly but i don't care, it still fascinates and enthralls me :)

I just mean crazy shit in general. Like, 9/11 footage or something. It all looks so crazy, it looks fake. Like, you get so used to seeing buildings exploding in movies that when you see it in reality and it looks more insane than the movies, it looks fake in your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom