• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 on Switch will require a micro SDcard and an internet download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazyorloco

ahh switch version doesn't look that bad to me, but i'm easy to please.

If it's better than the 2k17 mobile version (which I like) then i'm happy with it.

Doesn't the Switch have a patch file size limit? With only 32GB of space it needs to have some sort of limit per title like the 360 did.

You can't just replace gigabytes of data the way you can on XBO and PS4 or PC. So the day 1 patch that will finish the game wouldn't be ready when the cartridge ships if it were to release on day 1.

So they release the game with the day 1 patch as a digital download. Then once they're certain there are no more major issues to fix, they burn the patched version of the game to cartridges and send them to manufacture.

That saves them probably the biggest hit to patch size and they'll still have whatever the normal size is in reserve for future updates.

That's the only thing that would make sense to me.

This actually makes the best sense as to why it is digital only on day one.

RBH

The digital version of a game requires space and a internet download?

tenor.gif
lmao

So if I preordered a copy of the tip off edition I would be shipped the download code in a box? Just to be clear.

Probably the reason why WWE 2k18 and NBA 2k18 on Switch are download only for the first few month.

Doesn't bother me because for a mobile console digital downloads are better anyway (for a stationary console too, much more convenient). But they simply should compress the game better for the cartridge. I can not think of a reason why such games must be 50+ GB especially when there are so many great lossless compression algorithms.

[EDIT] Oh this is simply a package with a download code? So a real physical version will come later and requires no download?

Where did you hear about WWE 2k18 being download only for the first few months?

I figured that might be the case but I haven't seen anything official.

drotahorror

Playing 2K on a portable sounds pretty dope though. I don't even like the 2K games (too complicated for me) but the idea of it is really neat.

Well, they had a shot at me buying the Switch version over the PS4 version, but PS4 it is then.

I don't get how they can't release a real physical version day and date with the XB/PS versions. Sure, they want to gauge demand, but this isn't the way to do so imo. I'm in interested in a card, not a download code...

Anyway, thanks 2K for making my decision easier!

Ridley327

Well, they had a shot at me buying the Switch version over the PS4 version, but PS4 it is then.

I don't get how they can't release a real physical version day and date with the XB/PS versions. Sure, they want to gauge demand, but this isn't the way to do so imo. I'm in interested in a card, not a download code...

Anyway, thanks 2K for making my decision easier!

I don't think it's a matter of gauging demand, seeing as the physical version is coming regardless. It just sounds like that they're not used to the lead times for game cards versus Blu-ray discs and at a minimum, this was the best solution that they could come up with to get the game out on day 1 with all of the other versions. An NBA 2K19 would likely not run into the same issue.

I don't expect this to be a bad port, but it would be pretty funny if this ended up switching places with Fifa as the low effort port considering initial expectations. When I bought my Switch, a dad buying for his son ahead of me mentioned how excited his son was for 2K over all else. I don't have a ton of interest in this other than as a competent multiplatform title (assuming that's what it ends up being), but hopefully they built a good version for that kid and others like him.

No 2k was my biggest disappointment on the vita.

If this is all the current modes and non shit frame rate? Im good even if they use dreamcast level textures.

I don't think it's a matter of gauging demand, seeing as the physical version is coming regardless. It just sounds like that they're not used to the lead times for game cards versus Blu-ray discs and at a minimum, this was the best solution that they could come up with to get the game out on day 1 with all of the other versions. An NBA 2K19 would likely not run into the same issue.
I'm pretty sure I read here on GAF that this was the initial reason a few weeks ago, but now I'm starting to doubt it.

Nintendad

I think the biggest news here is it requiring an SD card. Do any other Switch games take up so much space that you can't use internal storage?

tsab

Doesn't the Switch have a patch file size limit? With only 32GB of space it needs to have some sort of limit per title like the 360 did.

You can't just replace gigabytes of data the way you can on XBO and PS4 or PC. So the day 1 patch that will finish the game wouldn't be ready when the cartridge ships if it were to release on day 1.

So they release the game with the day 1 patch as a digital download. Then once they're certain there are no more major issues to fix, they burn the patched version of the game to cartridges and send them to manufacture.

That saves them probably the biggest hit to patch size and they'll still have whatever the normal size is in reserve for future updates.

That's the only thing that would make sense to me.

the above makes a lot of sense!

buy a decent size. I think 200 gb is good. http://a.co/gOml31X

I have about 10 games on the switch digitally (ARMS, Splatoon 2, Lego City, Mario Kart 8,
1,2 switch, Zelda Botw, Just dance, Minecraft, Puyo puyo tetris, snipperclips) and still have about 134 gigs left.

Yeah, I have a 128 in there. Not looking forward to the day I need more whenever that comes. Which I'm sure wont be for a long while.
That's the primary reason that I'm trying to stay with physical copies as much as possible, though.

My Switch has started installing to my added 200gb card by default even though I have more than enough space for some of the stuff I am downloading on the internal 32gb. Not sure why.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
My Switch has started installing to my added 200gb card by default even though I have more than enough space for some of the stuff I am downloading on the internal 32gb. Not sure why.

It won't really use your internal storage for games after you put an SD card in.
Can you transfer items back and forth?

Ridley327

It won't really use your internal storage for games after you put an SD card in.

Strangely, no. The current "method" is you have to delete your game from the SD card, pull the SD card out and then re-download it straight to internal memory.

Haven't seen a way to do it.

Some stuff did install to the eternal drive though and I have had the memory card installed from day one. I don't get it.

Its 2K, they barley have any footage of the Xbox one or PS4 out, most offscreen stuff. They have just started putting out blogs on gameplay.

Its a big even in NY today at 3:30 thats live streamed on the NBA 2K facebook, they may have some info on the Switch version coming out of there.

2k is notorious for the lack of footage. Same thing happens with WWE. I actually think they have been better with the WWE games than the NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom