• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need podcasts for your podcast games? Here's a place to discuss/share gaming podcasts

Do you know of any other good, deep Souls game podcasts, blogs, or YouTube channels? The series is so great for discussion.

I'm not the most well-versed in this. Others know a lot more.

I'll mention the most famous youtubers, just in case you haven't heard of them (though you probably have). EpicNameBro is probably the most famous name in the community. He started doing lore videos, but these days he does mostly LPs where he talks a lot about different details as he encounters them. I think he's mostly on Twitch these days. I don't really enjoy this form of content very much, as I feel it takes too much time to engage with. I prefer something more focused. Still, his work is so well-regarded that he got approached by Future Press to work on the official guide for Bloodborne, so he definitely knows his stuff.

The other really famous one is VaaitVidya. His specialty is really well-produced deep dives into Souls lore. Some people feel he puts a bit too much speculation as opposed to what is supported by fact. This criticism maybe had some merit for his Dark Souls 2 stuff, but I think everything else has been very well supported, and these days he's good at talking about the in-game sources for his speculation, and clearly delineating the speculation from facts. Also, I personally don't really give a fuck about whether everything you say is 100 % supported by in-game facts, if you tell interesting stories, and Vaati really excels at that. There was a witch hunt a while back about him plagiarizing some stuff, which I felt was really overblown. In short he does really interesting, well-produced and focused lore videos, together with some other stuff.

Another super famous lorester is Redgrave, He made a 50+ page examination of Bloodborne's story and lore that's well worth checking out. He also has a youtube channel, where he basically talks about lore for hours. Unfortunately, production values are non-existent (it's basically just him in front of a camera) so I don't have the patience to follow it.

Someone I've been meaning to check after being impressed by his appearances on Bonfirseside Chat is Aegon of Astora. He has a similar format to ENB, in that he talks in depth about the games while doing let's plays. Not my favourite format, but like I said I've been very impressed by his appearances on Bonfireside Chat, so I should give him a chance.

Iron Pineapple is good for PVP trolling videos, though he's a bit uneven. Onlyafro used to be great at that stuff as well, though he has moved to the gutter that is Twitch, where I'm not following him. Also, I get some anime alt-right MRA vibes from him sometimes, which I'm not comfortable with, so I don't really follow him any more.

My favourite youtube let's player for Souls is Kay Plays. She started as a noob with no knowledge about the games at all, but progressed into a true Souls badass. She always does blind and very thorough playthroughs, and her thoroughness allows her to put a lot of the lore stuff together. For example, she managed to figure out all the secrets of Anor Londo in the first Dark Souls all on her own, which is really impressive. Unfortunately she seems to suffer from Souls fatigue and gave up her Dark Souls III playthrough early. Her opposite is Jeff Green who streams his playthroughs on Twitch (and with a youtube archive). He's too old for this shit, unobservant and generally not a very good player, but watching him struggling through these games is still fun, and you can really root for him. Both Kay Plays and Jeff Green have fan communities on gaf.

For more condensed let's play I would check out Matt Lee's Dark Souls II Diaries and Bloodborne Diaries. They are sort of condensed let's plays, focusing on the highlights of the games. It's in his typical humorous, yet still analytical, style. I you like his stuff as much as I do, you should check it out.

I'm leaving out a bunch of youtube lore guys here. Most notably A German Spy who does lore playthrough videos similarly to ENB. I'm not a fan of his style or personality though so I don't follow him.

In terms of podcasts there are a few that I don't really follow myself. There's Don't Give Up Skeleton, which focuses on different personalities in the Souls community, with long-form interviews with different people about their role in the Souls community and about what they do. There is also Twin Humanities, which I believe is more of a general chat and news show kind of podcast. I only follow Bonfireside Chat though.

In terms of blogs I don't know a lot. Illusorywall is sort of a resarcher that tests obscure mechanics and looks for secrets. You should definitely check out his stuff if you're interested to learn more about what is going on behind the scenes in these games. He's very well regarded. For fan-art, I like Lego Dark Souls. Her blog sort of aggregates fan art from around the web, and she also does her own stuff in Lego that is pretty cool. But I don't know much at all about the fanart community.

In terms of art, there is also the Design Works books by From Software with official concept art.

Keza McDonald at Kotaku UK wrote an entire book and its community together with Jason Killingsworth (at Riot, previously at Edge) about Dark Souls: You Died: The Dark Souls Companion. I don't have the book, but I tend to like Keza's stuff, so it should probably be worth a read. I think she put up a free sample on Kotaku about Kay Plays, so you could check that out to see if it's for you.

I'm missing a bunch of stuff, because I'm not as familiar as others, but maybe this is enough for you to start with :)

Really enjoying History Respawned. It's a series that looks at historical games with historians and other experts

So the Far Cry Primal episode talks with the university linguists that helped design the game's language and explores the culture of humans in that era, while the Crusader Kings 2 episodes covers the Sword of Islam expansion and the history of Sunni/Shi'ite, and how the game represents that

Very interesting

Is there a podcast that focuses exclusively on PS4 indie games? If not, is there one that covers them as a large part of their format?

Cool thread! I'm always interested in podcasts that cover Japanese games from a Japanese perspective, and to a lesser extent from our own. 8-4 is a good one but I would love more. Gaming podcasts that actually discuss Nintendo games that come out too. Love giant bomb and beastcast for my regular coverage but it's really just usgamer and 8-4 filling in the niches for me and I need to expand. Need to sit and read through all the posts and see if I can dig up anything.

aechris

A little self-promotion here but we've been doing a show for a couple months now and I think it's getting better. Started off as just as excuse for some dads to talk about video games once a week... actually that's still what it is. Very casual, just talk, not a lot of structure, if that's your thing.

https://linkcablepodcast.podbean.com/

Top Bottom